Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2485349 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #1200 on: 22 April, 2010, 09:33:03 am »
Colourblind pedestrian. He darted in front of me on a green light, and I stopped in time. He pointed at the (green) light and said sanctimoniously 'It's a red light'!

Very strange.

And I can vouch for the fact that there are millions of parakeets in RP :)

« Reply #1201 on: 22 April, 2010, 10:09:14 am »
Riding up to the approach to albert Bridge this morning I had some sanctimonious pedestrian shout "You're supposed to dismount" at me. Thing is, I was on the cycle path at the time and a good fifty feet or so from where I needed to get off.
The fact that I got off and walked (as I do every morning and evening) meant that he gets the little victory of thinking that he's made a difference I suppose.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1202 on: 22 April, 2010, 10:39:58 am »
Cycling to a different library site today and came to an abrupt stop on the Camberwell Road (A215), the police had cordoned off an area as someone had just been stabbed. Apart from a small diversion and then back onto the Walworth Road, it was bus free and full of disconcerted pedestrians waiting for their buses.

« Reply #1203 on: 22 April, 2010, 10:47:05 am »
Riding up to the approach to albert Bridge this morning I had some sanctimonious pedestrian shout "You're supposed to dismount" at me. Thing is, I was on the cycle path at the time and a good fifty feet or so from where I needed to get off.
The fact that I got off and walked (as I do every morning and evening) meant that he gets the little victory of thinking that he's made a difference I suppose.

Ooh that would really wind me up, that would!

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #1204 on: 22 April, 2010, 10:56:46 am »
I was mashing up the hill on the A4119 between  Rhydlafar and Radyr.  A road bike comes up behind me and the rider advises me to shift into a lower gear because I would be able to climb faster.  I point down and tell him it is not easy to shift single speed.

« Reply #1205 on: 22 April, 2010, 10:59:53 am »
I was mashing up the hill on the A4119 between  Rhydlafar and Radyr.  A road bike comes up behind me and the rider advises me to shift into a lower gear because I would be able to climb faster.  I point down and tell him it is not easy to shift single speed.

I had that from an American rider on the first hill outside Cheshunt on LEL.

Him: "You should shift to a lower gear, climbing at that cadence isn't good for your knees."
Me: "I'm in my lowest gear."
Him: "Oh, then try a higher gear then, don't tell me you Brits refer to gears the other way round too?"
Me: "I'm in my highest gear."
Him: *looks down* "Oh. You're mad."
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1206 on: 22 April, 2010, 11:00:34 am »

;D ;D ;D Awesome.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #1207 on: 22 April, 2010, 11:04:55 am »
I was mashing up the hill on the A4119 between  Rhydlafar and Radyr.  A road bike comes up behind me and the rider advises me to shift into a lower gear because I would be able to climb faster.  I point down and tell him it is not easy to shift single speed.

I had that from an American rider on the first hill outside Cheshunt on LEL.

Him: "You should shift to a lower gear, climbing at that cadence isn't good for your knees."
Me: "I'm in my lowest gear."
Him: "Oh, then try a higher gear then, don't tell me you Brits refer to gears the other way round too?"
Me: "I'm in my highest gear."
Him: *looks down* "Oh. You're mad."

Out with the not-so Mini Manoteas cycling along a flat piece of coast on Hols when we hit a steep climb up a coastal 'down'. Ms Manotea the Elder had a mini-strop. "It's OK for you. You've only got one gear and we've got 21 AND THEY ARE ALL WRONG!".

She calmed down after an emergency jelly baby or two.

« Reply #1208 on: 22 April, 2010, 11:20:05 am »
Lovely sunny day and hardly any wind resulted in my fastest average speed of the year so far (17.7 mph over 18.3 miles).

« Reply #1209 on: 22 April, 2010, 11:39:12 am »
By the cycle hoops I use at work I found two largish looking flags packaged up. One is Barbados, one St. Lucia. Odd...

Left them there for a couple of days to see if anyone would look for them, but still about, so now in my posession.

Anyone have a fancy for some carribean flags?

« Reply #1210 on: 22 April, 2010, 11:42:08 am »
Anyone have a fancy for some carribean flags?
Do you have a flag?

« Reply #1211 on: 22 April, 2010, 12:39:36 pm »

Out with the not-so Mini Manoteas cycling along a flat piece of coast on Hols when we hit a steep climb up a coastal 'down'. Ms Manotea the Elder had a mini-strop. "It's OK for you. You've only got one gear and we've got 21 AND THEY ARE ALL WRONG!".

She calmed down after an emergency jelly baby or two.

Ahaahaahaaahaaaahaahahahahaha!!!!   ;D
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #1212 on: 22 April, 2010, 01:30:19 pm »
I had a lovely ride in today in the sunshine. Just my toes went a bit numb in the cold.
I can't believe we are getting frosts! It is nearly May!

I was reasonably quick too. Fastest time yet on the Kona.

Only one idiot, who walked over and apologised to me afterwards on the work car park.

« Reply #1213 on: 22 April, 2010, 01:36:10 pm »

That's fabulous. POTD
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1214 on: 22 April, 2010, 09:05:55 pm »
Lovely day, if very cold, for a ride! One my way at 6:25 and quickly into action to warm up. Second morning in a row. Very, very few people out... OTOH so many new cyclists and runners in the evening this week (some trialing their fancy/fashionable kit). Were are they all coming from?! He?  ;)

At work one colleague commented on how dirty my Langster was; sure, I felt like saying, but it's been piling on the miles for months, when your bike was been shined up I guess! No, for me, it is definitely not about the bike (but about the cycling)!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1215 on: 22 April, 2010, 10:21:33 pm »
Eventful journey home.
Frayed front brake cable resulting in locked solid brake.  (Serious resistance training)

On arrival home I found that no matter how much I twisted, I couldn't disengage my left SPD.  In the end I had to release my foot from the shoe and then get all medieval on it until I got it off the pedal.  Looks like a bolt has sheered and the SPD thingy on my shoe is just floating around.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #1216 on: 23 April, 2010, 09:01:33 am »
Beautiful ride in this morning, I'm full of the joys of cycling :D
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1217 on: 23 April, 2010, 09:03:45 am »
Gah!  Normally I would be griping/rejoicing about the commute, but I'm stuck at home, waiting to go to a GP appointment. 

Should be an interesting commute later, though.  I'll be carrying loaded panniers and a tent! :o
Getting there...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #1218 on: 23 April, 2010, 09:35:30 am »
Saw an eviscerated deer in the road near Wallaces Farm shop.  It was quite young.

« Reply #1219 on: 23 April, 2010, 09:51:11 am »
Riding home last night at about 21:00 as I approached Camberwell, a chap crossed the road in front of me,   saw me coming stopped looked at me to confirm that I was going to cycle behind him, and then stuck his leg out behind him, in what I assume was an very attempt to get me to crash into it.. 

Me shouting Oi, resulted in the leg being waggled about a bit more.

There was space clear of his leg behind him, so I used that.    But I can't think what he was trying to do,  that sort of impact while it could bring me down,  would in all likely hood break his ankle or really muck up his knee.
All I could think of is that I was on my way home from collecting my race number for the London marathon, and how any kind of spill would result in me having to withdraw, and that would really annoy me..
Just someone's butler

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1220 on: 23 April, 2010, 10:10:24 am »
Riding home last night at about 21:00 as I approached Camberwell, a chap crossed the road in front of me,   saw me coming stopped looked at me to confirm that I was going to cycle behind him, and then stuck his leg out behind him, in what I assume was an very attempt to get me to crash into it.. 

Me shouting Oi, resulted in the leg being waggled about a bit more.

There was space clear of his leg behind him, so I used that.    But I can't think what he was trying to do,  that sort of impact while it could bring me down,  would in all likely hood break his ankle or really muck up his knee.
All I could think of is that I was on my way home from collecting my race number for the London marathon, and how any kind of spill would result in me having to withdraw, and that would really annoy me..

Feckin hell, thats just bad Russ - Good Luck for Saturday!  I cycle through Camberwell nearly every day, but last night as I was cycling back from Waterloo I discovered quite a nice cycling route which goes through Burgess Park and out into Peckham, which completely bypasses Camberwell - luverly.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1221 on: 23 April, 2010, 10:13:26 am »
I wish this weather would make up it's mind. 0 - 2 degrees in the morning, 15-16 riding home. I need two different tops for riding in and going home!
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1222 on: 23 April, 2010, 10:24:14 am »
I wish this weather would make up it's mind. 0 - 2 degrees in the morning, 15-16 riding home. I need two different tops for riding in and going home!

I just use arm warmers and a base layer in the mornings. Same short-sleeve jersey for both journeys.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #1223 on: 23 April, 2010, 10:27:13 am »

I just use arm warmers and a base layer in the mornings. Same short-sleeve jersey for both journeys.

+1, although in reverse since I've been leaving home at 16.30 and coming back at 22.00
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #1224 on: 23 April, 2010, 10:29:04 am »
First single speed commute today, weird. Lot's of freewheeling waiting for me to slow down to allow the gear to catch. Felt quite slow on the descents.