Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2485305 times)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #1375 on: 20 May, 2010, 09:45:48 am »
Indeed. My leg coverings are shrinking on a weekly basis. If this carries on I'll be riding in a thong come August.
Apologies for the mental image chaps, rest assured *that* will not be happening.

You could bring out the little black dress again.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #1376 on: 20 May, 2010, 10:13:45 am »
The little black dress is a chrimbo special. I have a yellow one for summer, and a range of skimpy skirts. With shorts underneath. Bring on the sun :)

« Reply #1377 on: 20 May, 2010, 10:15:27 am »
Got told I'd be voodoo'd and die if I put this mad woman on youtube, LOL!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #1378 on: 20 May, 2010, 11:30:04 am »
Got told I'd be voodoo'd and die if I put this mad woman on youtube, LOL!

Ha! Please post the link.
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #1379 on: 20 May, 2010, 12:43:36 pm »
First day riding in to work wearing shorts.
I've ridden home lots of times in shorts but it's just that bit cooler in the morning and I am a wimp
But today the air is warm even with a bit of speed up

I switched to shorts a month ago.
Last week I stopped wearing a base layer.  So just shorts and cycling T shirt (rain coat yesterday morning). I regretted it a couple of days when the temperature dropped but its mostly OK.

Start Time 7:40am
Home Time 6:20pm

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1380 on: 20 May, 2010, 01:43:47 pm »
This nearly went into the rant thread, but I've calmed down now.

Look lady, stop bloody shouting at me.  I'm the one stopped here at the lights.
The idiot onna bike that undertook me and almost took out your rat like thing on a lead wasn't me.  You should be able to tell by the fact that I'm still here at the stop line.
So stop shouting at me!  Is there something wrong with your bains?  Or are you just a naturally nasty person?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #1381 on: 20 May, 2010, 10:34:43 pm »
First time this year for me to wear shorts too.
I didn't even take my gilet today, just arm warmers for the commute in and then basically naked on the way home.

« Reply #1382 on: 20 May, 2010, 10:55:03 pm »
The scenic route home along the Carron Valley and stopped at big Als to get h/set fixed. Really enjoyable dawdle along that road that I usually am breenging along on a "training" ride.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1383 on: 20 May, 2010, 11:28:15 pm »
First time this year for me to wear shorts too.
I didn't even take my gilet today, just arm warmers for the commute in and then basically naked on the way home.

I've had bare calves since March but I've still been wearing knee warmers this week though they haven't been at all necessary, and I keep wearing my gilet mainly because it has pockets. And because it's sometimes a bit chilly by the time I get home in the evening. I've dispensed with the arm warmers though, and I haven't worn the full-finger gloves for a few weeks.

I was very glad we have showers in the building by the time I arrived at work yesterday morning.  :P

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1384 on: 21 May, 2010, 03:53:09 pm »
On the way in I found myself in the middle of a herd of 150 milking cows.
I started at the back talking with the farmer.  He was riding his MTB to push them along the road.  He took the right so I took the left and that meant that gradually I was able to melt into the herd and filter down the left.  The string of cars behind me were not so lucky and I managed to gain a huge drop on them.
The only downside was fresh cowshit had to be avoided repeatedly as the TCR is well clean at present.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #1385 on: 21 May, 2010, 04:25:23 pm »
The only downside was fresh cowshit had to be avoided repeatedly as the TCR is well clean at present.

nice big mudguards are  good sometimes

« Reply #1386 on: 21 May, 2010, 07:53:51 pm »
Lots of close passes today.
Don't know why today in particular.

Their problem -- I was having fun in the sunshine  :smug:

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #1387 on: 23 May, 2010, 09:39:57 pm »
Been riding in shorts (or three quarters) since...er....summer 2008

« Reply #1388 on: 24 May, 2010, 08:07:44 am »
SPD sandals today for the second time this year (first time was Friday).  Came over the mountain way for a change.  As I crested it, the air was perfectly still, the sun hazy, and the sky shrill with larks.  What larks!

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #1389 on: 24 May, 2010, 08:11:44 am »
I saw another cyclist  :o

Of course I pulled out onto the road before him and left him in my not-insubstantial wake. There are standards to up hold after all.

First one I've seen going my way for a very long time.

« Reply #1390 on: 24 May, 2010, 08:30:18 am »
I was in the car and passed a cyclist I would've been happy to ride behind for several hours. Perhaps I could change my hours to allow me to ride in later and spot him more often...

« Reply #1391 on: 24 May, 2010, 08:41:26 am »
Had my first fellow cyclist compliment today.

He tucked in behind me for a mile or so (without asking) then we split as we came to some slow trafiic, he went inside, I went outside.

After that he was in front so I tagged on behind him up a slight hill and then after a half mile offered to take the front. Two miles later as we hit the Sunbury Cross roundabout I was a sweaty pulp but he had the good grace to say "Great pace mate !"
Rust never sleeps

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #1392 on: 24 May, 2010, 09:26:28 am »
I saw an enormous chap heaving his racing bike onto the road as I went past

I said hi but didn't really expect to see him again, even though I wasn't going at full speed and I was on the winter bike with the heavy tyres.

He caught me up at the top of the hill and said it was due to fresh legs.  Apparently the chap ( name Tony ) was doing road bike training for down hill MTB races.  He was carrying extra weight in a backpack.  He'd not ridden a road bike before.  "It goes really fast" he commented

« Reply #1393 on: 25 May, 2010, 05:59:27 am »
I formed a mini peleton yesterday as I neared Son2's school.  I was behind time due to extra work from home so met up with all the boys as they rode to school.  We had a great laugh.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #1394 on: 25 May, 2010, 07:38:53 am »
Hmmm. Nice.  Now. Remind me; wtf am I doing at work?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1395 on: 25 May, 2010, 07:44:12 am »
Gorgeous morning today, warm, but not hot, a little breeze but not windy.

Just like TheLurker, WTF am I doing in work?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1396 on: 25 May, 2010, 09:08:52 am »
Wonderful wonderful ride.  Usual feckwits in their cages getting hot & bothered, and a lot of RLJers among the cyclists, but it was a good ride nonetheless.  Nice flow, and I got smoothly away from the lights ahead of the other riders quite easily, catching the RLJs just a short way down the road. :)
Getting there...

« Reply #1397 on: 25 May, 2010, 09:27:15 am »
I was quite amazed at the amount of compliance with the red lights today,  i was in groups of 30+ riders a few times this morning, and everyone stopped.

Which helpped it be a stress free jouney in.
(I am shutting out the lady who did the very dangerous overtake at Oval,  as i am not going to let her spoil my day.)
Just someone's butler

« Reply #1398 on: 25 May, 2010, 09:29:53 am »
Rode the first 8k or so with my son this morning - MrsH has been persuaded that he's OK to ride to school despite a couple of fast roads. She's more worried about him coming home on his own - but that has been mitigated a bit by him doing a scout cycling expedition a couple of weeks ago, when the leaders said that he was the only one of his group that positioned himself properly (not kerb hugging), rode predictably and took roundabouts confidently and safely in the correct lane (not around the outside edge)  :thumbsup:

Left home five minutes earlier than he normally would to catch the bus (due to last minute faffs on my part as well as his - we'd meant to leave earlier), arrived at school just as the bus pulled in having taken it quite easy. Must decide what to do about a commuting bike for him - today he took the Islabike Luath 700, as it is the most suited to the job, and both less expensive and probably less nickable than his MTB (which is only so expensive because I won it). They do have new bike sheds at school with proper sheffield stands, so hopefully it'll be OK with a combination of sold secure gold D-lock and cable for the front wheel on it. 

« Reply #1399 on: 25 May, 2010, 09:31:48 am »
More police out around Westminster for Brenda's speech today than I have ever seen before. Literally one every few yards, and lots of motorbike police hanging around in sexy leathers waiting (presumably) to stop traffic for the important people to get through.