Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 338980 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #1775 on: 16 April, 2021, 10:19:39 am »
(click to show/hide)

« Reply #1776 on: 16 April, 2021, 12:23:28 pm »
:D

You'll have an awesome max rectangle.

« Reply #1777 on: 16 April, 2021, 01:19:15 pm »
Some long term planning... if I go through with this DIY audax -

Then this would join up the few tiles that I've got lying around in Sheffield.

Closer to home, some ideas for this weekend:

« Reply #1778 on: 16 April, 2021, 01:40:09 pm »
It might be cheaper to move to Hebden
 ;D
Though as Hebden is off NW corner of Max Square at moment, it would make more sense to move to SW corner as I've nearly finished Peak District. South and West is way easier than more of the Pennines in the very lumpy North + West. I'd end up swapping riding the Peaks to the Dales and these areas are really slow going.
But very pretty  :)- https://www.futtfuttfutt.com/-/galleries/imajez-portfolio/britain-by-bike/-/medias/fdf45a2a-3487-4e0e-abb1-904af15a844c I had to clamber up a 45 degree bank to get that tile [and photo].

The Tile Collector

« Reply #1779 on: 16 April, 2021, 05:05:45 pm »
South and West is way easier than more of the Pennines in the very lumpy North + West. I'd end up swapping riding the Peaks to the Dales and these areas are really slow going.

Tell me about it, the SW corner of my square is on Fountains Fell, and the western edge is the Pennine Way.

Not that I'd swap, it's fabulous, just slow going.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1780 on: 16 April, 2021, 07:15:47 pm »

Had a nice 55k ride North of the Kanal. Added 7 new tiles, increased cluster by 10.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #1781 on: 16 April, 2021, 10:31:13 pm »
Tell me about it, the SW corner of my square is on Fountains Fell, and the western edge is the Pennine Way.

Not that I'd swap, it's fabulous, just slow going.
It is very nice in The Peaks and Dales.
Though on that note I was pondering recently how folk down South [UK] managed to get such big squares so quickly and some folk doing so, always riding from home.
However I recall seeing some World Pro riders being interviewed before a stage race that ended in Sheffield [where I live] and them commenting that Yorkshire/The Peak District is one of the hardest place to race. The hill are not as high as the Alps, but they are vicious. 20% is not unusual and and the TdF in 2014 was basically won on Stage 2 that did the Peaks and 2km from finish went up Jenkin Hill in Sheffield which has a 33% section. Peloton was similarly shredded during the last Tour Of Britain stage that went through the Peaks.
Then the off road stuff makes that look easy going. A 20km ride around Kinder Downfall was much tougher than a 150Km tiling ride out Lincolnshire way. I've done a lot of what I would describe as XC trials riding with bits of mountaineering thrown in. Sometimes with bike on shoulder, but yesterday I abandoned bike and clambered up last 150m of the boulder field. Because no-one in their right mind would try to climb down with it.  ;D 

6km/h average speed is not unusual on the some off piste excursions. Though I think my lowest speed was taking 45 mins to go 400m [there + back] to get to one tile.
The Tile Collector

« Reply #1782 on: 16 April, 2021, 10:46:39 pm »
@imajez, that's proper dedication.  Not a proper tiler until you have a few stories. Quite a few of my tiles have no roads or paths, forth ones include knee deep estuary mud, though now a SUP gives me an alternative way to explore the Forth, Loch Leven and maybe the Tay.

« Reply #1783 on: 17 April, 2021, 10:38:39 am »
Well, after a week in the Dales, I'm done with Pateley Bridge and Nidderdale (for squarebagging purposes, at least).

Before:

During, there was quite a lot of this:

Way too much of this shit:

A fair bit of this:

And even some of this (I was on holiday, you know):

After:

And here's the new squares in context:

Cluster is now 5687, and I was a bit surprised that my max square leapt up to 46x46 (x2), from 44x44.

Might take a break from it for a while now...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1784 on: 17 April, 2021, 12:48:34 pm »
Nice work!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1785 on: 17 April, 2021, 01:42:49 pm »
A fair bit of this:

Ooh! That terrain can be really hard going. Ankle snapping too if you are not careful.
Good work. Those hills are tough. Our squares may be touching soon.  ;D
Also having looked at where you went I just realised when I walked around Malham in 2019, I forgot to strava it. Duh!
The Tile Collector

« Reply #1786 on: 17 April, 2021, 10:30:58 pm »
Hey imajez, I'm also in Sheffield - I've taken to hiking to acquire the moorland tiles between Strines and Ladybower but will need to do a lot more to get the rest.

I've found the most I can manage per ride if I'm tile-hunting is around ~100km because the dirt-tracks, dead-ends and horrific main roads that are easily avoided start to wear me down after a few hours - I have however found plenty of new lanes and some climbs that will be visited again.

edit: some numbers

7178 tiles, average of 7.166 km per tile
Max square 19x19
Max Cluster: 971

« Reply #1787 on: 17 April, 2021, 11:02:51 pm »

Ooh! That terrain can be really hard going. Ankle snapping too if you are not careful.
Good work. Those hills are tough. Our squares may be touching soon.  ;D
Also having looked at where you went I just realised when I walked around Malham in 2019, I forgot to strava it. Duh!

As you can imagine, I've done loads of terrain like that. Always reminds me of Takeshi's Castle.

« Reply #1788 on: 18 April, 2021, 01:08:27 am »
Hi Mark, those moorland areas are certainly a bit challenging, I rode all of them bar a 15km loop near Holme Moss, as I did that as a walk with girlfriend. But then I really like really technical XC riding.
The glacial pace I mentioned above was getting a tile which I think is just above your top tiles on Strines. There's no path of any kind going there. I abandoned bike and traipsed cross country for a last few hundred metres to get that tile.  Also if you have an accident there, you'll never be found unless you have a PLB to call for help. It may still be within the Sheffield City boundary, but no phone reception at all. Though if the vulture returns, he may find you. ;D He nested just South East  of that tile.
A lot of the N+W corner just outside of your square is particularly hard work. It's a lot of XC trials riding with occasional mountaineering. But it's really beautiful.

Which climbs are the ones you will never repeat?
The only place I've been to and thought, I'm definitely never coming back here again other than busy main roads was when tiling SW Doncaster. Ironically I did exactly that because half way around I realised my GPS had borked so I had to loop back and do that awful section again. Then to add injury to insult, I then got bitten by a dog when cutting back to repeat route. The only other unpleasant ride was the opposite side of Doncaster where I was chased by horrible nasty flies on one gruelling section where I couldn't pedal fast enough through the sandy trail to escape the bitey little buggers. Donny sucks!
The Tile Collector

« Reply #1789 on: 18 April, 2021, 05:01:02 pm »
Took the SUP out on Loch Leven and finally nabbed the two tiles that have been blocking me for years has increased max square by 2 to 15x15 and cluster by 8 to 1134. Also have a good opportunity to increase square to 17x17 in a week or two and beyond with a bit more luck.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1790 on: 18 April, 2021, 07:22:42 pm »
The last few weeks have seen the max cluster upped to 1821. It should've been more but I was frustrated by a blocked road today  :demon: The max square remains at 21, though there are six of them now.

« Reply #1791 on: 18 April, 2021, 08:18:53 pm »

Spoke too soon! I had to go round t'Moors today anyway, to do a spot of route-checking and check there was a cafe/pub stop for one of my audaxes in a couple of weeks.

I grabbed a few extra squares while I was round there, and I've finally pushed my square under the Tees Estuary, which has been a long-term goal for a while (now I can expand on three sides, instead of just south and west, though I'll hit the Humber eventually). Square has bounced up to 47x47 (x2).

But look how close I am to 48x48 - you can see where I walked out to the cliff edge (on a previous ride, not today). I might have to go and walk out along the beach under Cattersty Cliff from Skinningrove now.

« Reply #1792 on: 18 April, 2021, 09:06:14 pm »
Very pleased to have finished the Isle of Sheppey today. The RSPB reserve is a delight and the B2231 is probably one of the most dangerous roads I have had the displeasure of riding on. After a couple of close passes I just rode in the middle of the lane, which led to the inevitable annoyed drivers. Luckily, I was only on it for a couple of miles.

If anyone else is trying to do this, here is my route.  https://www.strava.com/activities/5149062796

I did have a rather challenging gate to climb over. So would suggest this alternative.  https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35749004

citoyen

« Reply #1793 on: 18 April, 2021, 11:28:40 pm »
the B2231 is probably one of the most dangerous roads I have had the displeasure of riding on.

It is really unpleasant. Still, you’ll never have to do it again now!

Good work.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1794 on: 19 April, 2021, 12:03:23 am »
Quote from: Random Motorist
It's a dead end road!

I'm a bit surprised I don't get this more often  ;D

Davef

« Reply #1795 on: 19 April, 2021, 07:16:50 am »

Spoke too soon! I had to go round t'Moors today anyway, to do a spot of route-checking and check there was a cafe/pub stop for one of my audaxes in a couple of weeks.

I grabbed a few extra squares while I was round there, and I've finally pushed my square under the Tees Estuary, which has been a long-term goal for a while (now I can expand on three sides, instead of just south and west, though I'll hit the Humber eventually). Square has bounced up to 47x47 (x2).

But look how close I am to 48x48 - you can see where I walked out to the cliff edge (on a previous ride, not today). I might have to go and walk out along the beach under Cattersty Cliff from Skinningrove now.

Or pack the abseiling kit.

« Reply #1796 on: 19 April, 2021, 08:46:31 am »

Or pack the abseiling kit.

Or attach gps to boomerang.

citoyen

« Reply #1797 on: 19 April, 2021, 09:59:16 am »
@trickedem - thanks to your pioneering efforts, I've devised a route to tick off the tiles I still need on Sheppey. Good excuse to get the cross bike out of the garage next weekend. You'll note I'm planning on taking the option of doubling back on the farm track rather than riding on Lower Road any more than is entirely necessary...

Sheppey tilebagging gravel ride by citoyen, on Flickr

When I went over to Sheppey before, I didn't make it all the way to the tip of the headland past Rushenden - ran into the locked gate so turned back. But looking at the map again, I can see there's a path that takes you round the gate, which I guess is what you did. Annoyed I missed that!

« Reply #1798 on: 19 April, 2021, 02:35:45 pm »
Couldn't quite see which way you intended to get to Warden Point. My original plan was to go to the end of Warden Road. But the path at the end has now been closed by the Council due to landslips.   Instead, I went through a stile which has been installed here and there is a very pleasant path through the field down to the cliff edge.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4145236,0.8985453,3a,80.4y,73.85h,70.89t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sxuFqFuNMjV3f2pzqXpns1A!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DxuFqFuNMjV3f2pzqXpns1A%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D134.0356%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

The little diversion off the prison road to get another tile is interesting. At the end of the track the guy in the last house has all sorts of interesting stuff in his garden including a bofors gun from WW2

citoyen

« Reply #1799 on: 19 April, 2021, 07:36:04 pm »
Couldn't quite see which way you intended to get to Warden Point. My original plan was to go to the end of Warden Road. But the path at the end has now been closed by the Council due to landslips.   Instead, I went through a stile which has been installed here and there is a very pleasant path through the field down to the cliff edge.

I was planning to go through the campsite, but that path looks like an interesting possibility.

In a similar vein... in case you haven't already got this one, there's a tile you can get easily in Seasalter by going into the Alberta holiday park:

Screenshot 2021-04-19 at 19.33.11 by citoyen, on Flickr