Author Topic: A Noddy Explanation of how to use Gears  (Read 1852 times)

spen666

A Noddy Explanation of how to use Gears
« on: 15 April, 2008, 07:21:22 pm »
My boss who is circa 60 and a salad dodger told me today that his wife bought him a bike at the weekend.

He said last time he rode a bike it had a 3 speed sturmey archer gearing system. This bike is a 21 speed mountain bike (3x7). He was asking me how to use the gears and which he should use when.

I'm sh*t at explaining such things. Is there a noddy guide on line  to using gears that I can point him to?

Cheers

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: A Noddy Explanation of how to use Gears
« Reply #1 on: 15 April, 2008, 07:47:35 pm »
I used this when working in bike shops.  It works every time:

"The ones at the back are your gears.  The ones at the front are your gearboxes.

"The big one is your fast road gearbox.

"The middle one is your slow gearbox.

"The tiny one is your mud and steep hills special gearbox.

"Now, we'll pop it in the middle one while you get the hang of the gears themselves..."
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #2 on: 15 April, 2008, 07:48:28 pm »
Maybe an explanation of the mechanics of chain drive so he grasps the difference effects of large chainrings and small ones and large and small sprockets.  Maybe start by telling him not to worry about outer and inner chainring at first, just think about the back for a while.

I will have to explain all this to Mrs MSeries soon when the weather is better and she gets out on her new bicycle.

Rapples

« Reply #3 on: 15 April, 2008, 10:14:40 pm »
What Andy said plus:

Pedal at about 60+ revs per minute

If your out of breath  - harder gear

If your legs ache  - easier gear

« Reply #4 on: 15 April, 2008, 11:25:33 pm »
Definitely +1 to Andy (I always say similar)

But add that when the chain is in the little front ring, don't use the little rings at the back, and when the chain is on the big ring don't use the big rings at the back.  When on the front middle ring it doesn't matter.