Author Topic: PBP hivis  (Read 3065 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
PBP hivis
« on: 19 August, 2023, 02:58:02 am »

Apidura have released a new hivis vest designed specifically for long distance cycling and cite PBP as an event with a requirement for a vest that meets the standard their new design does.

Of course. The release it today. 2 days before PBP starts...

https://www.apidura.com/shop/packable-visibility-vest/

Perfect timing...

Ah well, for 4 years time maybe...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: PBP hivis
« Reply #1 on: 19 August, 2023, 03:00:01 am »

Actually. If you read this and think "I really want that for PBP" apparently there is stock at Culture Velo in Rambouillet.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #2 on: 19 August, 2023, 06:20:16 am »
I would be concerned about using a product that is labelled as EN 17353:2020 Type B3 compliant when the rules state that it must conform to 'safety standard number EN 1150 or EN ISO 20471'

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #3 on: 19 August, 2023, 07:11:49 am »
I think the entry fee includes a high-vis vest, in particular because in some countries (such as the UK), what is sold as 'high-vis' is rarely compliant with the relevant standards and most staff in a cycle shop (in my experience) don't know what the standards are.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #4 on: 19 August, 2023, 10:07:37 am »

Actually. If you read this and think "I really want that for PBP" apparently there is stock at Culture Velo in Rambouillet.

J

There is indeed stock in Culture Velo, not a huge amount based on what was on display.

« Reply #5 on: 19 August, 2023, 10:12:05 am »
I would be concerned about using a product that is labelled as EN 17353:2020 Type B3 compliant when the rules state that it must conform to 'safety standard number EN 1150 or EN ISO 20471'
according to Apidura's website:
"EN 17353:2020 Type B3 [. . .] incorporates the older EN1150 and EN20471 standards"

« Reply #6 on: 19 August, 2023, 10:32:50 am »
"EN 17353:2020 Type B3 [. . .] incorporates the older EN1150 and EN20471 standards"

I know but  -  do you really want to be trying to have that conversation with the roving motorbike marshals at 3am?

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #7 on: 19 August, 2023, 06:37:57 pm »

I know but  -  do you really want to be trying to have that conversation with the roving motorbike marshals at 3am?

If it is shiney enough and has a relevant "standard" label of some sort then you won't have any trouble.  FFS.

I always just bought the offered official gilet

« Reply #8 on: 20 August, 2023, 09:18:39 am »
Wonder what the new PBP vest looks like.  The Apidura one also seems to have good 'side on' visibility, which many of the 'similar' design minimalist running vests don't seem to. 

No doubt I'd be prob sticking with the official one tho - if riding, which I'm not.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #9 on: 20 August, 2023, 10:50:04 am »
It’s identical to the 2019 one. They don’t even have a year printed on them.

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #10 on: 23 August, 2023, 11:14:34 am »
I needed a new hi viz and grabbed one of these Apidura ones to replace the Ultimate Direction vest thing that has never sat right on me, on the basis that a hi viz that's too uncomfortable to use is useless, so I might as well pay more for something better made. I don't always wear hi-viz, but some of my nocturnal adventures benefit from having it (I've been known to venture up dual carriageways in the dark, and good hi-viz is a better prospect for nocturnal running than trying to light my body like deep sea plankton).

It's a lot heavier than I expected. My existing hi viz would fly away if you sneezed on it. This is quite weighty. I'm right at the top end of the S/M size because of my chest, but they said to size down -- I'm glad I did, because it's snug fully done up in regular clothes, and would be flappy if any larger. Besides that, it's what I would call Mum reassurance levels of reflective and brightness, and fits closely without flapping or feeling like it will twist itself around my torso like a hungry python at the first opportunity.

ETA: Having  read the label, it's only good for 5 wash cycles, so maybe take that into consideration given the price.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #11 on: 23 August, 2023, 02:49:31 pm »

Hm, better trawl ebay in a few days, by far the most suitable cycling standards conforming hi-vis i've had.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #12 on: 23 August, 2023, 06:07:58 pm »
PM me. :thumbsup:
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #13 on: 24 August, 2023, 05:57:43 pm »

If it is shiney enough and has a relevant "standard" label of some sort then you won't have any trouble.  FFS.

At the ‘bike check’ the French officials were issuing penalties to all of the Japanese riders for the non EU compliant hi-viz, all of which looked perfectly fine to me.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #14 on: 24 August, 2023, 06:28:36 pm »
I had no issues with the Apidura hi Vis. Tho at the bike check I just opened my frame bag and Chris C., who was. doing the check, was happy.

Every night was muggy and as I run warm I would have massively overheated in the horrible PBP gilet.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #15 on: 25 August, 2023, 10:03:38 am »

Hm, better trawl ebay in a few days, by far the most suitable cycling standards conforming hi-vis i've had.

A mate's got one for me  :)

At the ‘bike check’ the French officials were issuing penalties to all of the Japanese riders for the non EU compliant hi-viz, all of which looked perfectly fine to me.

And the Americans for displaying Trailer reflective rear triangles on not-trailers? No?

« Reply #16 on: 26 August, 2023, 12:02:00 am »
The official PBP Hi Viz would have way too warm for me so I took a vest made of a lighter ,more open material which was EN20471 compliant and had a French language label.
I had a moto rider come alongside me on Wednesday night , but he only  wanted to know if I was O.K .
When I answered "C'est bon " or something similar, he rode off to check the next rider.
I didnt see anyone pulled for non-compliance but 97% of riders were wearing the official gilet.

« Reply #17 on: 26 August, 2023, 05:14:51 pm »

I didn’t notice anything in Group U (9pm start) whilst we were queuing up together, but wonder if the Seattle Randonneur‘s would also have been penalised, they too were wearing a pink “hi-viz” similar to the Japanese.

Like others have said, I also had no issues with the Apidura vest. I was very thankful for it, personally I felt all of the nights were warm (the odd cool patch here and there) and would have overheated with the official vest (though I did carry that too in case anyone got over official)

frillipippi

• from Italy
« Reply #18 on: 27 August, 2023, 07:27:57 am »
The PBP hiviz vest was too tight under my armpits. It fitted perfectly (even a little bit loose) on the body, but the armpits were really bad. In fear of blood circulation problems to my arms and hands, I opted for my own hiviz suspenders. I left the official vest in a friend's car and headed to the bike check. The officers (I was in group A) objected that also the large surface in yellow fabric is important, so we reached a compromise when I showed them my bright orange jacket: I had to wear it and they let me pass, without penalties. They didn't get to the point of checking labels for homologation codes.