General Category > The Knowledge

Old steel-

(1/4) > >>

joy of essex:
So,  for a project I 've been  thinking about buying  and renovating a vintage,  ie probably from the last century, steel  tourer. Something like a Galaxy, Romany, Nigel Dean  or similar.
I ll use it for touring and rough stuff  but it won't be asked to carry more than a saddlebag.

One thought occurs  to me , provided the frame is or at least appears to be in good nick then do you  think   this is  worth while endeavour?

Will old 531 ST  hold up  to the rigours of 2024 ?

Cudzoziemiec:
I'm not sure the rigours of 2024 are any more than the rigours of 1984, and if it was made for panniered touring but will be used saddlebag only, probably less. So as long as there's no rust etc, I don't see why not. My 1985 Dawes, which was certainly not high end, is still out there somewhere. But a lot of componentry on those old bikes was fairly crap from new.

joy of essex:
I remember those  component well.

The one I have my eye on has a  high end Shimano triple groupset

Though I have a well stocked parts box with items from the era

Cudzoziemiec:
Chromed steel rims and crappy Weinmann sidepulls, which needed a special tool to centre and they went out of alignment in a week, are the components I'm particularly glad to be rid of. A high-end Shimano groupset would be a far superior kettle of eels.

Tim Hall:
My more or less daily ride is a Dave Yates frame, built in the 80s (I think).  It's been converted to fixed duties, been repainted and then, a few years after that, powder coat.  It doen't have a saddle bag but regularly carries a fairly hefty bar bag. And me, although I'm getting slightly less hefty.  531, possibly 531ST. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version