Author Topic: Breadmakers  (Read 11665 times)

Re: Breadmakers
« Reply #50 on: 04 April, 2020, 06:28:42 pm »
I just made a 50/50 white/wholemeal large loaf in my Panasonic. Usually my efforts look slightly wobbly but taste fine. The one cooling on the rack now looks like something from a Panasonic advert its so perfect!

I will never be able to repeat it as I guess the amount of salt and use a "dollop" of local honey instead of sugar but just for once a perfect loaf.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #51 on: 04 April, 2020, 06:51:05 pm »
This loaf is useless without photos!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #52 on: 04 April, 2020, 08:38:59 pm »
OK. Slight amount of symmetry lost as it cooled.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #53 on: 04 April, 2020, 09:47:25 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #54 on: 05 April, 2020, 12:27:09 am »
I have a Panasonic SD250 I think, courtesy of Suzuki. It's been working its little heart out the last two weeks making 3-4 loaves a day that are then shared with some of the poor/elderly/isolating people in the building. So far it's not missed a beat.

Oh and for myself I follow the standard recipe but I tend to add in some dried parsley, chilli powder and grated hard cheese. Nom
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #55 on: 06 April, 2020, 10:51:04 pm »
I couldn't get to it in time to get a photo of the untouched loaf.

Rust never sleeps

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #56 on: 07 April, 2020, 01:11:14 pm »
OK. Slight amount of symmetry lost as it cooled.

Nice  :thumbsup:. BTW, my machine looks the same as yours.

I have flour again :smug:. Tesco was completely out last week when I went but a local bakery was able to supply me some.

I'll post a picture of my next loaf (if I remember...).

Pen Pusher

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #57 on: 08 April, 2020, 12:14:00 pm »

P1030332 by pencyclist, on Flickr

Approx 25% wholemeal 400g, basic white cycle, dark crust. The crust has bubbled a little in a couple of places but no complaints there.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #58 on: 24 April, 2020, 08:05:16 am »
I'm experimenting with things other than "white loaf"  or "wholemeal loaf", apparently there are settings other than 1 or 4 on the Panasonic, who knew? :)

Did a 100% spelt loaf (50% white spelt 50% wholemeal spelt) and its very nice. Makes fantastic toast.

« Reply #59 on: 24 April, 2020, 08:06:54 am »
A good experiment is a tablespoon of caraway seeds in a loaf, makes for great toast (as long as you like that kind of thing, obv)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #60 on: 24 April, 2020, 05:38:37 pm »
A good experiment is a tablespoon of caraway seeds in a loaf, makes for great toast (as long as you like that kind of thing, obv)

Memories of Grodz' rye...?

« Reply #61 on: 24 April, 2020, 05:45:24 pm »
'twas a revelation when I found out the flavour was caraway, and that the rye was virtually unnoticeable..... Why did they call it a rye loaf?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #62 on: 24 April, 2020, 06:32:21 pm »
I've no idea how much rye flour is in these loaves.
My other encounters with rye are pumpernickel, Ryvita & similar crispbreads and Grodz' black rye loaf, all of which are very dark.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #63 on: 24 April, 2020, 07:19:54 pm »
Pumpernickel is a good way of explaining why most rye bread only contains a small proportion of rye flour.

I mean, I like pumpernickel well enough but...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #64 on: 24 April, 2020, 08:00:45 pm »
I have once tried to make bread entirely with rye flour. Kneading it was a seriously good workout!
Tasted fine, but not good enough to make the work worthwhile.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #65 on: 24 April, 2020, 08:38:00 pm »
Realised today I haven't used my breadmaker since the first week of lockdown. Initially because we ran out of (wholemeal) flour and couldn't get any more, but subsequently because with everyone home all day, there's always someone to go out and "support local enterprise" (we have two decent bakeries within half a mile tops – three if you count Hobbs House, which I don't; their bread is great but too expensive and tends to verge on the poncy).

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #66 on: 24 April, 2020, 09:48:00 pm »
I've now got a breadmaker - Panasonic SD-ZB2502
Made a few loafs, works fine, nice and easy to do. Set the timer last night, fresh bread ready at lunch time. Tried the XL size (600g flour) - it is rather tall, not the easiest to slice.

My brother works at the wholesalers, so got me a 16kg sack of strong white flour, plus 500g of yeast. Should keep me going for a while.
And will try some more interesting ingredients. Noticed a recipe in the instructions for cider apple bread.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #67 on: 14 May, 2020, 10:28:30 am »
I've been using fresh yeast for the past week or so. Can't use the timer function but that's no hardship as the results are better :thumbsup:.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #68 on: 14 May, 2020, 11:32:19 am »
Made a few loafs, works fine, nice and easy to do. Set the timer last night, fresh bread ready at lunch time. Tried the XL size (600g flour) - it is rather tall, not the easiest to slice.

After having one of these for a couple of years a solution to this finally dawned on my last week. Cut a crust off one end then stand the loaf on the cut side. Its now a much better shape for slicing!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #69 on: 15 May, 2020, 03:43:32 pm »

After having one of these for a couple of years a solution to this finally dawned on my last week. Cut a crust off one end then stand the loaf on the cut side. Its now a much better shape for slicing!

I used to make 600g loaves pretty well all the time. We would slice it straight down the middle and treat it as two loaves.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #70 on: 29 July, 2023, 10:05:56 pm »
I just made a basic rye loaf using 500g of flour, the first time I tried this.  What came out was a dense lump that barely filled half the tin.   Lots of small bubbles when I slice it.  Tastes OK.   

Is this normal for rye or have I messed up somehow ?  The yeast was a bit past it's "use by" date, but it's been fine for other recipes.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #71 on: 29 July, 2023, 10:30:26 pm »
Do you have a special rye paddle?

Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #72 on: 29 July, 2023, 10:55:30 pm »
Yes, and it was used.   Whenever I've bought rye or pumpernickel from local delis it's been similarly dense, I just want to know if the lack of rising is normal.  With white flour I'd have expected the loaf to fill the tin.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #73 on: 30 July, 2023, 08:52:34 am »
Sounds right for rye bread to me.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #74 on: 30 July, 2023, 09:15:31 am »
Yarp, sounds about right, esp if you use 100% rye.
Most commercial rye loafs will be around 50% rye.

Mine have always been a bit poor, similar to the MDF you describe.
I now tend to use one of the Forkish recipes with a blend of white, wholemeal and rye now. The rye % is fairly low, but  enough to taste.