Author Topic: Change of dog food  (Read 1281 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Change of dog food
« on: 30 September, 2015, 08:14:03 pm »
Morphy (aged >11½) has never been a great enthusiast regarding food. He eats it, but has never been in the habit of clearing his bowl, and quite often the food waits there for several hours before he bothers to try it. He has two meals a day, hitherto consisting of ¼ tin of Waitrose meat, and a scoop of Beta "Sensitive", which allegedly contains salmon and rice. If he has some left from the previous meal, we don't give him a full portion, but just top up.

When Mrs. Wow and I were in Pets at Home last week, on the lookout for another bag of his usual, we saw a variety that we hadn't spotted before, Arden Grange Senior, which is, allegedly, made of chicken and rice and has a high level of joint supplements (old Morph has arthritis). It was a bit cheaper than his usual. We bought some.

Since moving over to the new food, he has become much more enthusiastic about his meals. He clears his bowl every time as soon as he is given it, and nags for food more than he ever did. I reckon if we are not careful he might put on weight.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
Re: Change of dog food
« Reply #1 on: 01 October, 2015, 07:37:56 pm »
There is, of course, an unintended consequence of this increase in appetite. This morning I lived up to my abbreviated forum name "'Bagger".

Chris S

« Reply #2 on: 01 October, 2015, 08:04:33 pm »
We once had a Setter of the Gordon variety.

He was always really enthusiastic about food, but being a Setter - had a Setter's insides, so more often than not, he'd barf it straight back - only to eat it again. And sometimes again. And again.  :facepalm:

Or maybe it was just him. He was, after all, a psychopath.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #3 on: 16 October, 2015, 02:02:38 pm »
The novelty seems to have worn off rather. I still think he prefers this food to the previous lot, but he's not clearing his bowl as soon as it is put in front of him now, and yesterday he completely missed a meal. He didn't bother us for his walk until we made him at 3pm (the normal time is about 11 am) and we fed him when we came back, as usual. He ate most of it, but when his evening meal was put out for him he completely ignored it. I have just taken him for his walk (rubbish weather again, so he would rather sleep) and he has eaten about three-quarters of what was put out for him about 8pm yesterday.

« Reply #4 on: 16 October, 2015, 04:03:00 pm »
We have changed Tilly's food from Eukanuba (which is what the breeder was feeding her) to Simpsons 80/20 grain free.
With Eukanuba she was very farty and her breath stank. She also had two bouts of diarrhoea (though the second was probably gastroenteritis according to the vet).
She loves the Simpsons and a week in her breath doesn't smell any-more and hardly any farting !!!!
Getting the amount right is difficult though as the recommended amount for a pup her age gives a rang of 295 to 395 grammes. We tried 395 and that was too much given the consistency of her stools, now trying 300 and that seems better but am now worried about under-feeding.
Since she is more than 50% lab she will eat any amount of food and still give you a look 10 minutes later like she hasnt been fed so the only way to know if its enough is to keep an eye on how her ribs feel I think and keep weighing her.

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #5 on: 16 October, 2015, 04:10:08 pm »
We're using Arden Grange for our puppies - suits them fine