Author Topic: Coping with heat  (Read 8040 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Coping with heat
« on: 07 July, 2008, 01:31:31 pm »
In spite of my well known comments on the 'rainy season' here in the UK I readily admit that it can, on ocassion, get hot - especially on those rare days when the sun comes out.

I know from past experience that spending the day in the hot sun can drain you.  This was recently confirmed on Everybody Ride to Skeggy 300 where I was saved by the sea breezes.

I have another long ride coming up this weekend.  I haven't looked at the forecasts yet (too early) but I am conscious of the possibility having difficulties if it's a nice, sunny day.

How do others cope with the effects of riding all day in the sun?
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Re: Coping with heat
« Reply #1 on: 07 July, 2008, 01:35:42 pm »
Wear a cotton cycling cap (it does help keep you cool).
Drink plenty of water + Zym/Nuun hydration tablets.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #2 on: 07 July, 2008, 01:38:23 pm »
short hair, exposed flesh, sun screen. String vest, full or 3/4 zip jersey. Drink lots, eat proper food, don't ride too hard.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 07 July, 2008, 01:45:31 pm »
+1 to the MSeries.

The week before last on TRAT, I learned that when it's stinking hot, drinking a bottle an hour is pretty much a prerequisite for me not conking out.  I made up my bottles with one containing strong Ribena and the other with Boots rehydration salts.  Combined with enough food, if I managed to do both bottles in the space of two hours, I didn't feel weak, dizzy, crampy or any of the other symptoms I've felt in the past.

I shall probably run on coke + water or whatever I can buy in garages this weekend.

Other than that, wear sunscreen.  It helps.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4 on: 07 July, 2008, 01:47:44 pm »
Sounds about right.  If it's really hot I wear sleeveless stuff (like my triathlon suit) as I overheat fast and exposed shoulders let me cool down properly.  Sunblock on the exposed flesh, of course.

Stick a sachet of rehydration salts in your tool pack as a just-in-case. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #5 on: 07 July, 2008, 01:50:51 pm »
plus also Andrij, the more you do in the heat the more you'll get used to it. Difficult I know in an English summer. Heat was what did it for me on my 2003 Raid Pyrenean and I was hoping that 2007 PBP would not be similar !! :-)

Really Ancien

« Reply #6 on: 07 July, 2008, 01:52:20 pm »
If it's really hot, soak your hat in water at all opportunities and keep one bottle of fresh water to pour over yourself or even fill your shoes with water. If you are supported as on the 24 have sponges handed up to squeeze over yourself.

Damon.

« Reply #7 on: 07 July, 2008, 01:55:10 pm »
keep the back of your neck shaded with a damp neck scarf or foreign legion style flap on the back of you cap

rae

« Reply #8 on: 07 July, 2008, 01:55:35 pm »
Doing 120 miles on a scorching day in southern Spain probably qualifies me here. 

1) Get used to it.  There's no substitute for practice.  Don't be frightened of it.

2) Keep drinking, almost until you feel sick.  1.5 litres in 2 water bottles is good for about half an hour of hard effort if you are going all day.

3) Mix electrolyte bottles and plain water.  Too much electrolyte and you'll hurl

4) Full length zip on the jersey, undo it completely when climbing, your chest will be shaded, and you will lose a lot of heat

5) I often got for full length arms to combat the UV.  Whatever, use factor 50 or 60 for exposed flesh. 

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #9 on: 07 July, 2008, 02:00:41 pm »
I find that sitting in a cafe with a cold beer is the best way to deal with the heat.

HTH.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Chris S

« Reply #10 on: 07 July, 2008, 02:03:41 pm »
If this is an Audax, and you have time in hand, don't be afraid to lie out under the cool shade of a tree between (say) 12pm and 2pm, and make the time up in the evening or early o'clock in the morning. "Mad dogs and Englishmen..." and all that.

« Reply #11 on: 07 July, 2008, 02:04:58 pm »
I find that sitting in a cafe with a cold beer is the best way to deal with the heat.

This and raes tip about arms reminds me of when I pedalled from Melbourne to Port Arthur. It was a hot day, 45 C, I had to put my woollen arm warmers on to try to protect my arms, my sunblock wasn't working. I did suffer from sunstroke or whatever that day. Next day was still very very hot, I went for a short ride to look at a blow hole but it was too hot so I retired to the pub to watch the cricket on TV. Some Australian motorcyclists invited me to join them, so they could rib a pomme as we were getting thrashed at the cricket. The bikers had seen me suffering the previous day. As I drank my cold piss beer I started to sweat, I'd been too dehydrated to sweat before then

« Reply #12 on: 07 July, 2008, 02:05:36 pm »
Andrij, I think you're talking primarily about endurance / speed riding, of which I have no experience  :)
But I was pootle-touring (admittedly with full panniers) during the 2003 heatwave in France, when it was in the high 30s for much of the day. It took a while to get used to things but soaking my shirt (a baggy cotton   LS one) in water at every cemetery I passed was delightfully refreshing; i've never felt so clean, in fact  :D

« Reply #13 on: 07 July, 2008, 02:06:23 pm »
If this is an Audax, and you have time in hand, don't be afraid to lie out under the cool shade of a tree between (say) 12pm and 2pm, and make the time up in the evening or early o'clock in the morning. "Mad dogs and Englishmen..." and all that.

and that reminds me of Raid Pyrenean in 2003 when some very experienced American randos did just that, whereas the Englishmen went out in the midday sun.

« Reply #14 on: 07 July, 2008, 02:08:41 pm »
Doing 120 miles on a scorching day in southern Spain probably qualifies me here. 

1) Get used to it.  There's no substitute for practice.  Don't be frightened of it.

2) Keep drinking, almost until you feel sick.  1.5 litres in 2 water bottles is good for about half an hour of hard effort if you are going all day.

3) Mix electrolyte bottles and plain water.  Too much electrolyte and you'll hurl

4) Full length zip on the jersey, undo it completely when climbing, your chest will be shaded, and you will lose a lot of heat

5) I often got for full length arms to combat the UV.  Whatever, use factor 50 or 60 for exposed flesh. 
Two references to puking  :sick: in one post! Oh, don't we love cycling!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #15 on: 07 July, 2008, 02:12:24 pm »
Get used to it; and keep you head/neck cool. It is not really hot over here BTW...
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #16 on: 07 July, 2008, 02:15:37 pm »

HTH.

Same here.  I absolutely hate the heat.  It's one of the reasons I haven't ridden much this year (the ruddy sun came out when I was getting interested in the longer rides).   I also think it's a major reason why I found the Beast from the East so easy last year when many others struggled.

If you have to ride, then try to stay indoors during the day and ride overnight.

Roll on Autumn!!!!

« Reply #17 on: 07 July, 2008, 02:17:28 pm »
*amazed* at all the too hot comments, and I don't even come from a hot country.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Regulator

« Reply #18 on: 07 July, 2008, 02:24:39 pm »
I like the heat.  I only resort to the cafe tactic when it gets too hot - above about 35oC - for me.

Green Party Councillor

ChrisO

« Reply #19 on: 07 July, 2008, 02:43:01 pm »
I'm riding mostly in Abu Dhabi where it starts at 30C and gets up to 40+ by lunchtime. Though we rarely cycle past 10am at the latest.

I wouldn't advise drinking too much water. IIRC your body can only effectively process about a litre of water per hour so any more than that is a waste. Unfortunately you can lose more than that so the simple fact is you will get de-hydrated and you have to recognise it.

Large areas to cool off, water on hat (I use a UV Buff), and electrolyte drink both on the bike and after - you can get specific drinks for replacing the salts that you lose.

You have to then put a lot of effort into recovery. Plenty of water and electrolyte replacement, drinks like chocolate milk are good as well, and eat properly.

On a Friday ride (Friday being our Sunday) of 120km or so I can go through 4 litres of water and then a couple more when I get home followed by lunch and more drinks and it might still be 5 or 6 hours before I am hydrated properly.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #20 on: 07 July, 2008, 02:45:25 pm »
Well said ChrisO, it's amzing how many people don't realise about Hypotremia as well dehydration when exercising.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #21 on: 07 July, 2008, 02:53:07 pm »
I have a merino summer weight jersey (one with long sleeves, one with short) and I think they help with heat regulation moreso than synthetics, and I really am one to wilt in the face of any heat whatsoever.

They are expensive, but you can wear them for a long time before smelling, which I like. The Ground Effect ones are the best value, I think.

I see on the Team Estrogen site they have these things called Cool Arms, which are supposed to also be good at reflecting heat if you want to stick with existing jerseys (I know you don't have all that much oestrogen yourself, but I presume blokeshaped ones are available).

Really Ancien

« Reply #22 on: 07 July, 2008, 03:08:35 pm »
Well said ChrisO, it's amzing how many people don't realise about Hypotremia as well dehydration when exercising.
Monitoring what your body tells you is important, the colour of you urine is a good indicator of how much water you need, if you are not getting enough salts you will probably cramp. One side effect of relying on liquid feed is that you couple feeding with drinking and you can end up in imbalance if the weather differs from your predictions. Too hot and you will need to have more plain water, possibly with electrolytes, colder or wetter and you will be stopping regularly to piss.

Damon.

Regulator

« Reply #23 on: 07 July, 2008, 04:43:01 pm »
Hypotremia

Hypotremia is a condition known as water intoxication. It is usually associated with long distance events like running and cycling. As the person consumes large amounts of water over the course of the event, blood plasma (the liquid part of blood) increases. This dilutes the salt content of the blood while at the same time the person is losing salt by sweating. Consequently, the amount of salt available to the body tissues decreases over time to a point where the loss interferes with brain, heart, and muscle function.

Do you remember the London Marathon runner who died through drinking too much water that day?

Also common in those taking Ecstacy or other such drugs in nightclubs.  Some clubs, such as G-A-Y, even had their own paramedic teams and gave regular advice about not drinking too much water.

Green Party Councillor

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #24 on: 07 July, 2008, 04:48:12 pm »
Personally I love the heat.