Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 428654 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #4275 on: 16 March, 2024, 09:59:34 am »
Posting as a proxy for Dr Beardy who has travelled by train into Ipswich for a day of collaboration with her co author on their latest tome.

We use the same account on the app for of the local rail operators and it is my email inbox that gets all the confirmations which may have some bearing on the following.

Yesterday evening, being an organised soul, Dr B bought a return ticket for today’s travel. We’d been to the pub, and so she was a little drunk which may also have a bearing on the following.

This morning, at stupid o’clock for a Saturday, Dr B bought return ticket for today’s travel.  :facepalm:

Dr Beardy will hve discovered her error when (if) she is asked to present a ticket to get off the station  ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4276 on: 16 March, 2024, 11:05:37 pm »
Thank you Lurker and Beardy - both fine efforts worthy of inclusion in this thread  :)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4277 on: 18 March, 2024, 11:29:09 am »
Posting as a proxy for Dr Beardy who has travelled by train into Ipswich for a day of collaboration with her co author on their latest tome.

For clarity, are you contributing for being crazy enough to go to Ipswich, willingly, or for some sort of ticket purchasing blunder?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #4278 on: 18 March, 2024, 09:03:48 pm »
Ipswich isn’t THAT bad. Well, not everywhere it isn’t. And these days I’d rather be in Ipswich than a lot of utter towns and city’s including my former home city of Bradford which I had a soft spot for many years ago.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #4279 on: 19 March, 2024, 06:11:59 am »
Having done a lot of visiting of Ipswich over the last few years (my mother lived in one of the outlying villages) I find it OK.

Ipswich hospital were absolutely excellent during my Mum’s final illness, too.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4280 on: 19 March, 2024, 08:22:04 am »
Committed myself to a club outing tomorrow without really looking at the circuit. It turns out to include a bunch of useless climbs including a 14% that we reach via a gravel track, and the descent takes us back 5k further along the road we deviated from to take it.  Brainless shite.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4281 on: 19 March, 2024, 10:14:55 am »
Committed myself to a club outing tomorrow without really looking at the circuit. It turns out to include a bunch of useless climbs including a 14% that we reach via a gravel track, and the descent takes us back 5k further along the road we deviated from to take it.  Brainless shite.
Flat route designed by Deano?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4282 on: 19 March, 2024, 11:29:17 am »
Never ridden one of his. The arsehole in this instance is El Prez.

« Reply #4283 on: 19 March, 2024, 06:03:55 pm »

You don't have to go, and of course you could plan and perhaps even lead a (much better) ride.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4284 on: 19 March, 2024, 06:08:00 pm »
If you have two versions of that file, viz. one to be used in conjunction with a third-party sound mod and one not, it is wise to ensure that “spawn_ratio” is the same in both.  Thereby avoiding strange Spaignish lorries from showing up in Belgium, man! :facepalm:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4285 on: 20 March, 2024, 09:38:56 am »

You don't have to go, and of course you could plan and perhaps even lead a (much better) ride.

Yeah but we're good chums and anyway my days of leading rides are long past.  Not many of my age want to do 150k anyway.

And as it happens, neither can I, now.  Lifting the bike onto the workstand yesterday, I realized halfway up that I was doing it with a bent back rather than bent legs. I said to myself "got this far OK, might as well finish" so I did, and thought I'd got away with it. Nope. This morning as I got into the shower the sacroiliac that I popped out 11 years ago woke up and sent agonizing darts out all over my lower back.  Last time it took 2 months & many phizzy visits to fix.

Yrs trly,
Fecking Div  :(

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #4286 on: 20 March, 2024, 04:26:06 pm »
We went away on holiday on 15 Feb . . .  as we were going to be away for over a month I thought I'd implement the cables and padlocks that are fitted to the racking that stores my bikes to secure them in the garage [4 bikes on the wall on wheel hangers, top-to-tail to reduce the space they take up] - interlocked all the cables, and 4 padlocks. Sorted and secure, put keys in a safe place . . . .

Today having returned a couple of days ago I thought I'd take a bike out . . . err, keys?   An hour later after much searching - success, in the shelving that holds all my small woodworking tools.  It then started to rain. 

Oh, and I went to renew my road fund licence online to be rejected as the MOT runs out tomorrow . . great difficulty getting an appointment . . . and I even had a note in my diary to make an appointment for this week before we went away - didn't so that.

« Reply #4287 on: 20 March, 2024, 09:52:25 pm »
Took a lesser used summer weight bike out today. Nothing that odd about that. The left of one pair and the right of another of my normal SPD shoes have apparently eloped together so I grabbed another more stifferer pair, what I knew between pedal and shoe was a combo that makes de-clipping a little more difficult than it ought to be. So, what the hell has this got to do with divvery, eh? I hear you ask? Well, experimenting, I found that it declipped easier twisting my heel in, rather than out, what a jolly wheeze! A short while later I then found out just why that method is NOT the approved way of declipping. If you can't work it out, it involves heel. ankle and spokes mixing together in a sub-optimal manner  :facepalm:

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4288 on: 20 March, 2024, 10:07:59 pm »
I also unclip in that manner, after b0rking my left ankle falling down the stairs at a conference in Barcelona (no booze was involved), and this was the same week Michael Jackson died, so a very long time ago. I have the cleat on that side set quite weakly and mind to turn just a little to unclip.
I do have a little baldy bit on the inside heel of my bike shoes now though.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #4289 on: 20 March, 2024, 11:26:58 pm »
Got to the station early so took a connecting train with a change at Reading with the hope of getting to Paddington a little earlier.

First train at reading was so full I didn’t even try. Next train I managed to cram onto, but turned out to be the one I would have originally caught but with the benefit of having a seat had I waited at my home station.

« Reply #4290 on: 21 March, 2024, 12:24:46 pm »
That may have had something to do with the Reading - Waterloo line being disrupted, getting turfed off the train at an earlier stop because they decided to cancel the train rather than queue to get a platform at Waterloo was not fun.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4291 on: 21 March, 2024, 12:52:57 pm »
Nice new FD cable installed & adjusted, runs perfectly so chopped off the excess length and crimped on a nice little end cap.  Then realized that I'd led it over the bars instead of under. :facepalm: #redofromstart

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4292 on: Today at 06:58:18 pm »
Today I have been working with a client called Solape. I noticed a little too late that in one of my emails to her, I accidentally transposed the first two vowels in her name... You'll understand why this is a particular problem if you speak French. :facepalm:

I'm sure I'm not the first to do it but it is mortifying.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #4293 on: Today at 09:45:16 pm »
Ooops.