Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1575921 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #300 on: 26 June, 2011, 09:39:21 am »
World Service uses GMT the whole year and world around.

Lol. It's not like we are all still using valve radio sets, were in the year of super technology. Surely they can at least edit the time correctly for what ever country your in ?

The programme content itself is the same no matter how it's delivered, and the World Service short wave transmitters are in the UK - they transmit all over the planet from there.  Very hard to tailor the programming when it's being squirted in a rough direction to cover a great sector of the globe.

And the great thing about that is that, because it's for a world-wide audience, there seems to be far less of the middle-class, British Radio 4 prejudice resident within the content.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #301 on: 27 June, 2011, 11:22:11 am »
Facilities!  We are techies.  We do not drink decaf.

That is all.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #302 on: 27 June, 2011, 12:28:05 pm »
Dear Orange,
Thank you for your letter.  I have a very common and simple first name, so I find it rather surprising that you managed to mis-spell it.  Unless, of course, putting the h before the o is more common than I am aware.

I won't be following up your offer, thank you.

Love from Bsail
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #303 on: 27 June, 2011, 01:42:44 pm »
Dear Orange,
Thank you for your letter

I got one from them with my new contract details and they'd managed to miss off the house number from the address, so it was just "<road name>". Luckily my postman isn't stupid and knew which house to deliver it to.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #304 on: 27 June, 2011, 09:51:37 pm »
Facilities!  We are techies.  We do not drink decaf.

That is all.
Of course, this would be in the "rant" thread if the full-caff coffee had not actually run out...
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #305 on: 28 June, 2011, 09:44:56 am »
If the full-caf had run out I'd not have time for a rant coz I'd be busy killing the facilities oaves.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #306 on: 28 June, 2011, 09:59:50 am »
Transform.  Kindly fuck off with your multiple Babbage-posts, the notifications for which pop up in the exact same place as the "Previous" link on YACF, thereby making me read a metric fuckton of pointlessly incomprehensible Babbage-dreck.  Which fucking mailbox is full, you electronic helmet, and what am I supposed to do about?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #307 on: 28 June, 2011, 04:18:29 pm »
O2: when I buy a new broadband dongle, I expect it to work out of the box. I do not expect to spend my evening installing and uninstalling your poxy Connections Manager, restarting my computer and uninstalling my Vodafone dongle because you have not activated the SIM.
Thank you for your email advising me to phone Customer Services on some overpriced 0844 number. I did not need to do this as the dongle worked OK today.
I don't like feeling like a numpty.
You could do your bit and send out products in working condition.
Muppets!

« Reply #308 on: 28 June, 2011, 04:46:45 pm »
Sitting on a London bound train... I'm currently losing the will to live cos we are not moving anywhere. I'm trying to work out what the real explanation for our non movement is... I think that they said that we've got lost... Anyway, it doesn't matter - the concert I've travelled down from Durham to see has been cancelled... :(

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #309 on: 28 June, 2011, 04:57:47 pm »
Not sure about your train, but lightning strike has affected trains using Paddington.  Can't see how that would knock on to your line, but anything could happen...
Getting there...

« Reply #310 on: 28 June, 2011, 05:25:29 pm »
Lightening strikes ay Stevanage have caused the train to be diverted. If I caught the announcement correctly though - it would appear that the driver is now lost and is awaiting directions

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #311 on: 28 June, 2011, 05:28:29 pm »
Lightening strikes ay Stevanage have caused the train to be diverted. If I caught the announcement correctly though - it would appear that the driver is now lost and is awaiting directions
What was the last station you passed?

« Reply #312 on: 28 June, 2011, 05:31:20 pm »
Sitting on a London bound train... I'm currently losing the will to live cos we are not moving anywhere.

At least your forum name is now highly appropriate ;)
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #313 on: 28 June, 2011, 05:40:58 pm »
We will be at Kings Cross soon... now admiring the Emirates Stadium. Even I can tell the driver which way to go. I just wish I had a bike with me and could go out for a ride. I'm about to spend the evening listening to my better half bemoaning the fact that Paul Simon has postponed the concert one night. It's not practical for us just to take another day off work, book new train tickets, find accomodation... do they think that everyone only travels 30 miles to come in. If they tell me that the ticket costs are not refundable this will be moving to the rant thread. It's proving to be an expensive birthday non-treat.

« Reply #314 on: 28 June, 2011, 09:05:06 pm »
Lost my wrist band at York. So......wanted to go into so called saddlebag sale before coming home and could not get in. Despite having a detailed camping allocation form the cost of which gave you access to all areas. So didn't go in. Slightly nuts thinks. You sell me buy? or have I got it wrong? And being a member hacked me off just a tad. My membership should give me some priority otherwise what is the point?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #315 on: 29 June, 2011, 09:42:21 am »
Your membership should get you free entry!

My grmble

Yes, I know that part of the reason I am extremely tired is that I stayed up all night on Sat.

I'm also aware that you have lots of work to do, and your desk is in our bedroom.

However, being able to get more than 5 hours sleep a night would really help me not be a grumpy bastard. We bough a desk lamp so we could switch off the main light and you could carry on working while I got to sleep.

So covering the bed with paperwork and keeping the lights on until 1am every night for the last 2 weeks is starting to wear me down. I still have to get up for work at 6 or 6:30 every day.

And no, I'm not cancelling the Tan Hill ride because I'm tired. <stops before grumble ascends to a rant>
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #316 on: 29 June, 2011, 10:33:32 am »
It's not a conspiracy.  It's geography.  The majority of our lusers are in BRITAIN so we run the day-end processing after they've gone home.  We can't have lusers Doing Stuffs while the day-end is running as this will break it.  The day-end takes about eight hours to run.  That this means you can't log in from Singapore first thing in your morning is something you're going to have to live with.  Wonk.

« Reply #317 on: 29 June, 2011, 11:31:12 am »
windows , i want to install any updates and restart my computer when i choose not when i am in the middle of con posing a long email. it takes my a long time with one finger and now i have to START AGAIN  >:(
the slower you go the more you see

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #318 on: 29 June, 2011, 03:38:11 pm »
Messrs Maconie and umm errrrrrrummm errrerrrerrrr Radcliffe are radio disc jockeys of unparallelled style and wit, and with a breadth of knowledge barely matched by the Wikipedia pages they are looking up, bringing enjoyment and good music to all who have access to Radio6Records.  Furthermore, I am impressed by their refusal to be swayed by the fickle winds of fashion, and the way they intersperse songs from several decades in with the more modern gramophone recordings. 

However, I feel compelled to point out that, however much cosmic fun it was (man), the 2011 Glastonbury Festival at Worthy Farm, Pilton, has finished on Sunday evening, 26 June, and so, days later, to be reporting that Jessie J performed with a broken leg on the Other Stage on Saturday night DOES NOT qualify as 'music news'.  Nor does anything else from said Festival. 

Is this just the BBC wringing out the last drips from their blanket coverage?
Getting there...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #319 on: 29 June, 2011, 04:07:29 pm »
The BBC is always plugging Old 'News'. This is apparently much watched today and is over 3 months old...http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12668840

« Reply #320 on: 29 June, 2011, 04:09:03 pm »
Mr Riley B King. Why couldn't you invite Slash, Ronnie Wood and the ginger twat as special guests on saturday in Manchester instead of last night in that London? :( :'(

YouTube
        - ‪BB King Slash Ronnie Wood Someone Really Loves You Royal Albert Hall 28-06-11‬&rlm;

« Reply #321 on: 29 June, 2011, 06:04:01 pm »
What do you mean, you're not sure if you'll have room for the recycling basket we delivered today (after you requested it instead of single use bags). It's a plastic basket about the volume of two large shoe boxes , and you live in a double fronted two storey Georgian town house.

I manage, in a one room plus bathroom plus tiny hall bedsit...

:facepalm:

This is the second person who's reckoned they don't have room for a basket, the other was a lady who claimed to have a 'very small house'.  It's a house love, that automatically makes it big enough, I reckon. Try organising yourself better. Anyway, I can see that you have at least 2 bedrooms, one large reception room, and no doubt a kitchen, bathroom and hallway...  Plus a back yard.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #322 on: 29 June, 2011, 07:44:12 pm »
Blast!

Just tried to tax my m/bike and the "computer says no", apparently I've no MOT, checked that online as can't find the real thing and it expired yesterday. Good thing I cycled to work rather than m/biked today.

Tax is due to end in a couple days so I guess I should SORN the bike and get my Dad to bring his van round to get my bike to the MOT place.

I thought I had another month till the MOT  :facepalm: :-[
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #323 on: 29 June, 2011, 08:02:11 pm »
The BBC is always plugging Old 'News'. This is apparently much watched today and is over 3 months old...http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12668840

Even older: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7348931.stm

« Reply #324 on: 29 June, 2011, 08:04:06 pm »
Blast!

Just tried to tax my m/bike and the "computer says no", apparently I've no MOT, checked that online as can't find the real thing and it expired yesterday. Good thing I cycled to work rather than m/biked today.

Tax is due to end in a couple days so I guess I should SORN the bike and get my Dad to bring his van round to get my bike to the MOT place.

I thought I had another month till the MOT  :facepalm: :-[

You are usually OK to ride it to the actual MOT station if you have an appointment there.