Author Topic: The best doping excuse ever?  (Read 2049 times)

The best doping excuse ever?
« on: 16 August, 2012, 06:13:16 pm »
Contaminated beef... Pffft! Contador should have tried being a bit more imaginative.  :demon:

Fatima Yvelain is a regional-level distance runner in France. I suspect you had not heard of her until now but she enters history with one of the best ever excuses for a positive doping test.

Following a positive test for EPO after a half-marathon, she claimed heavy rainfall on the day of race had caused water to stream over hidden medical waste somewhere near the course. As she ran, the EPO-laced rainwater splashed onto her shorts, thus contaminating her urine when she later provided a sample at the doping control.

Needless (to say - Ed) athletics website VO2.fr reports the French Athletics Federation didn’t believe a word. She is banned for two years.

Update: this is no hoax story. You can read the official sanction from the French Athletics Federation here (PDF, in French).

Source: http://inrng.tumblr.com/post/29472905178/itsrainingepo
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: The best doping excuse ever?
« Reply #1 on: 16 August, 2012, 06:32:44 pm »
I'd have to describe that as the worst doping excuse ever.  The best, surely, would have worked.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2 on: 17 August, 2012, 12:05:20 pm »
When Ryan Lochte admitted that he pissed in the Olympic pool, it did get me wondering... Suppose a swimmer who is using EPO pees in the pool (not suggesting that Lochte is, btw), what are the chances of it contaminating another swimmer?

(Pretty slim, I'd have thought, but it's only a matter of time before someone tries to use it as an excuse.)

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3 on: 17 August, 2012, 01:21:35 pm »
Dilute that Lochte-contaminated swimming pool water several times over and you might be able to sell it to gullible aspiring olympic swimmers, and the drug would be undetectable.  It's probably no coincidence that you can't spell homeopathy without e, p and o.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #4 on: 17 August, 2012, 01:32:44 pm »
Dilute that Lochte-contaminated swimming pool water several times over and you might be able to sell it to gullible aspiring olympic swimmers, and the drug would be undetectable.  It's probably no coincidence that you can't spell homeopathy without e, p and o.
Bumper sticker seen on the back of a car in Ciren last week, "Homeopathy Awareness Week...".  Quoth MrsLurker, "The less you tell people about it the more they'll know about it."
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #5 on: 17 August, 2012, 02:11:49 pm »

I've been thinking about selling undetectable homeopathic PEDs to athletes for a while now, do you want to go into business?

« Reply #6 on: 17 August, 2012, 03:20:46 pm »
When Ryan Lochte admitted that he pissed in the Olympic pool, it did get me wondering...

Time to add the urine-reactive indicator dye to the pool at competitive events.  :demon: ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #7 on: 17 August, 2012, 03:25:02 pm »

« Reply #8 on: 17 August, 2012, 03:59:33 pm »
http://www.topendsports.com/medicine/doping-excuses.htm

Dennis Mitchell's was my favourite

Kind of undermined by a comment I'd seen elsewhere from one of the British Cycling coaching staff, who said that they could always tell when the cyclists were getting it on because the mens' performance in training dropped, while the reverse was true for the women. ;D

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #9 on: 17 August, 2012, 04:04:13 pm »
Kind of undermined by a comment I'd seen elsewhere from one of the British Cycling coaching staff, who said that they could always tell when the cyclists were getting it on because the mens' performance in training dropped, while the reverse was true for the women. ;D

There's a brilliant episode of Seinfeld based on precisely that premise.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."