Author Topic: The price of timber - what is it in other countries?  (Read 3100 times)

Re: The price of timber - what is it in other countries?
« Reply #25 on: 07 December, 2021, 08:08:05 am »
I wonder if it's a delayed reaction to the lumber crisis we had here (Canada/US). Prior to covid, several saw mills burned down and as covid hit, the industry thought it would lead to a massive downturn and laid off tons of staff  (when the opposite turned out to be true). Within 6 months, a 2x4" went from $3.50 to $12+. Supply has been back to normal for 6 months or so now and prices are now almost back to normal.

It's certainly a global problem, not a local one. All those coastal forest fires can't help. Your wood is going to China, and so is 'ours'.

« Reply #26 on: 07 December, 2021, 10:04:33 am »
Plastic fence posts are pretty good.

A lot of fencing in australia has switched to using plastic pipe. This is high-density stuff, walls about 10mm thick. Very easy to install (hammer into ground). Easy to drill fencing wire holes. Easy to cut to length (usually with a chainsaw). Insulated, so electric wires don't need additional fittings. Doesn't rot, doesn't get eaten by termites.

Downside is the eventual breakdown from UV exposure. That is measured in many years though.

I see an increased market for woven hurdle fence panels.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #27 on: 07 December, 2021, 11:13:31 am »
Plastic fence posts are pretty good.

A lot of fencing in australia has switched to using plastic pipe. This is high-density stuff, walls about 10mm thick. Very easy to install (hammer into ground). Easy to drill fencing wire holes. Easy to cut to length (usually with a chainsaw). Insulated, so electric wires don't need additional fittings. Doesn't rot, doesn't get eaten by termites.

Downside is the eventual breakdown from UV exposure. That is measured in many years though.

I see an increased market for woven hurdle fence panels.

I've seen such a product at a Lowes or Home Depot in the US about 15 years ago - but they were moulded in one piece rather than woven - looked awful.

« Reply #28 on: 07 December, 2021, 11:34:42 am »
My impression of the US, years ago now, was that the majority of houses didn't bother with fencing, whereas here in the UK people are very territorial. Perhaps because we have a lot less land.

« Reply #29 on: 07 December, 2021, 12:11:33 pm »
We plant flower beds. USAians, on the whole, don't.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30 on: 07 December, 2021, 12:28:25 pm »
Also, USAnians already have plenty of wooden houses to fall to bits in strong wind.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #31 on: 07 December, 2021, 06:16:50 pm »
And the BEARS would knock them over.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #32 on: 10 December, 2021, 01:34:13 pm »
I'm curious about the impact of the pandemic etc on the price of building materials, specifically timber.

A few weeks back I paid this:
Sheet of building-quality ply, 12mm - £60
4.8m length of 100mmx50mm, planed - £20

What are the prices like on the continent?

Prices here.

44 x 96 mm 3.9m long planed - €19.22
12mm ply 2440 x 1220mm sheet, exterior grade - 61.99.

Those are the prices from my local Gamma (gamma.nl).

Interestingly I have a price list from Amsterdam fijn hout. But I also have one from last march.

12mm Birch ply 250cm x 125cm - €67.25

And october's price list:

12mm Birch ply 250cm x 125cm - €126.21

Both prices are without BTW/VAT.

Interestingly the prices are not consistent in how much they have gone up

March 2020: 9mm birch ply 250cm x 125cm - €82.35
October 2021: 9mm birch ply 250cm x 125cm - €102.10

Prices at the local gamma for the 1220 x 610 sheets have not gone up by very much at all. But the bigger stuff has.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #33 on: 10 December, 2021, 01:45:37 pm »
Also, USAnians already have plenty of wooden houses to fall to bits in strong wind.

BEARnado - it's a matter of when, not if, isn't it?
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #34 on: 10 December, 2021, 01:47:09 pm »

I'm not watching any more *nado movies.  I've just discovered a backlog of Tremors sequels that have been molished while I wasn't paying attention.

« Reply #35 on: 10 December, 2021, 02:42:08 pm »

I'm not watching any more *nado movies.  I've just discovered a backlog of Tremors sequels that have been molished while I wasn't paying attention.

A "backlog"? That implies more than the one I can vaguely recall (after which I lost interest, because there's only so many ways you can rehash the plot of the original movie).
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #36 on: 10 December, 2021, 03:40:50 pm »
There were 4 (technically the 4th was a steampunk prequel), I think now we're up to 7 or so.  They're all better sandworm movies than Dune.

« Reply #37 on: 15 December, 2021, 09:08:39 am »
Your market update:

there are reports that the price of timber will drop but then be followed by a subsequent further spike before returning to an actual period of stabilisation. These concerns are based on murmurings that the situation in America may change again with British Columbia not being able to keep up fully with demand and a potential construction boom again. In addition, Russia has announced new taxes on log exports as they wish to retain the secondary processing of the timber within Russia to be sold later at a higher price and margin. China’s appetite for European timber has remained stable, but there is no indication yet in the market as to when or whether this will start to decrease any time soon.

« Reply #38 on: 15 December, 2021, 09:22:52 am »
The construction boom here (BC) hasn't unboomed yet and I'm pretty sure it's the same for most of the PNW.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/2-inch-x-4-inch-x-8-ft-spf-dimensional-lumber/1000112108

$4.28 for 2x4x8, so slightly higher than pre-pandemic.