Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1284785 times)

kevinp

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #850 on: 27 January, 2010, 06:57:43 am »
I am feeling pretty pleased with myself at the moment, I managed to lose 3.5 lbs this week, which meant that I have hit my Weight Watchers goal of 13 stone 1 lb - 83kg for a total loss of 9 stone 13 lb - 63.04kg. I am intending to lose that other pound to make it an even 10 stone - 140 lb - 63.50 kg, in fact I intend to lose another 7 lb or somewhere around the middle 12's   ;D :D

« Reply #851 on: 27 January, 2010, 08:57:24 am »
Change is good :)

Chris S

« Reply #852 on: 27 January, 2010, 09:01:05 am »
Total of 3Kg lost during January. Never underestimate the power of illness to do good  ::-)

« Reply #853 on: 27 January, 2010, 09:23:40 am »
  Congratulations Kevin. Well done!
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

« Reply #854 on: 27 January, 2010, 12:50:20 pm »
That's fantastic news Kevin.  :D

What an achievement :thumbsup:
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #855 on: 27 January, 2010, 12:56:24 pm »
That's great, Kevin - well done.

I lost 200g this week. :-[
Getting there...

gordon taylor

« Reply #856 on: 27 January, 2010, 01:03:47 pm »
Congratulations Kevin. That's amazing - it is good to know that big weight loss is actually possible.

« Reply #857 on: 27 January, 2010, 01:22:19 pm »
That's great, Kevin - well done.

I lost 200g this week. :-[
That's ok - it only takes 5 weeks of 200g losses to lose a kg :D.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #858 on: 27 January, 2010, 01:23:18 pm »
So...when do I get cake? ;)
Getting there...

simonp

« Reply #859 on: 27 January, 2010, 01:30:34 pm »
My target is 250g/week and I'm 1.1kg above target of 70kg so I'm not having to starve. I won't lose much this week due to burns night and last night. But i'm playing the long game.

« Reply #860 on: 27 January, 2010, 01:33:53 pm »
So...when do I get cake? ;)
Birthdays only.
This weight loss is a serious business. I've been cake-free for 5 days now, and it's already showing on the scales...

kevinp

« Reply #861 on: 27 January, 2010, 02:16:02 pm »
Thanks everyone :)

BTW I have been cake free for over a year now :(  but I did have my first pie in over a year at Witney during my mesh ride on Saturday, it tasted very nice :)

simonp

« Reply #862 on: 28 January, 2010, 12:03:08 am »
I've started writing the script, will probably take a few days as I don't have that much time to spare atm.

It'll take an url to a yacf page and attempt to output CSV with username then weights in date order on the same row.  Very limited error checking obviously.

Next level(s) of automation would be to automatically work through all the pages of the weight reports thread, filter in (or out) users who are in (or out), generate a graph automagically using gnuplot, and even upload it to teh web automatically.  Most of which will probably never happen. :)

Parsing: check.
Output CSV: check.
Work through multiple (configured number) pages: check
Filtering: no
Graphing: no
Uploading: no

Do we want the other features?  I can email/PM you a CSV file for now if you like.

I also could do with some way of handling errors when failing to fetch a page, as yacf is known for failing to provide the page.  This will be for another day, though.

I can't add the automatic upload until a filtering mechanism is in place.  I would suggest that having a specific piece of text in your weights post is the best way; this gives the user full control.  Something like: graph=yes

Also, anyone who mucks about putting things like x+8 in their post won't get a graph as I detect the weight values using a fairly restrictive regexp to avoid complicating the parsing any further.  Not that it's very complex, but I have to avoid things like people putting a weight in bold mucking things up.

border-rider

« Reply #863 on: 28 January, 2010, 01:01:50 pm »
BTW I have been cake free for over a year now

Amazing willpower...

I'm deeply impressed at what you've done, Kevin.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #864 on: 28 January, 2010, 01:13:03 pm »
Yes, I must say that being a bloke I need the target-driven stuff, and being weak-willed I need the public declaration, to keep me on track.  My ulterior motive for doing the graphs...  ;)

Early days yet through Geoff. 

It's not just blokes.  The target driven stuff stimulates my OCD gland, which in turn keeps me sufficiently focused.  I'm not doing it on yacf, but I've got an online food-counter and weight loss graph which is definitely keeping me motivated.

[minor whinge] Last time I made a real deliberate effort to lose weight was after uni, when I was definitely overweight, and it just fell off when I started eating better.  This is a lot harder now I'm in the normal weight bracket and trying to lose a bit more.  Meh. [/whinge]

border-rider

« Reply #865 on: 28 January, 2010, 01:18:04 pm »
This is a lot harder now I'm in the normal weight bracket and trying to lose a bit more. 

It is.  Unless you're doing stupid amounts of exercise, your body really doesn't easily let you shift from what it thinks is a decent weight.

The only time I've ever got to a point where I was actually thin was in July 2006, after a month consisting of commuting 40 k to work each day and riding 2x300, 2x600 + 1000k.  It soon came back on.

simonp

« Reply #866 on: 28 January, 2010, 01:21:14 pm »
I definately get more hungry easier when I am sub 70kg.  It's almost like my body has some kind of mechanism to control my calorie intake.

The average person manages to control within about 7kcal/day but that's enough for slow but steady long-term gain over the years.  It equates to about 2 stone over 50 years.

simonp

« Reply #867 on: 29 January, 2010, 11:47:43 am »
69.9 kg.
 :thumbsup:

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #868 on: 29 January, 2010, 01:16:06 pm »
Finally weighed myself on Wednesday.  :'( 

Also changed my target weight. After converting it from kg to lb I realised the old target was unrealistic, and possibly not healthy at all.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

simonp

« Reply #869 on: 29 January, 2010, 01:26:22 pm »
Mv, what do you want to do about these graphs?

border-rider

« Reply #870 on: 30 January, 2010, 01:02:44 pm »
I don't mind.

It works fine as-is, but if you come up with a super-duper way to automate it then so much the better :)

« Reply #871 on: 01 February, 2010, 07:51:56 pm »
After my smugness of last week, when I lost 3lbs despite the humungous curry on Saturday night, I've gained this week.

Of course the Pub Quiz (with butties and chips), the village 'Variety Night' (also in the pub, this time with steak and chips and bread and butter pudding) and the five course, slightly late, Burns' Night supper may not have helped.
 ::-)

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #872 on: 02 February, 2010, 06:58:28 am »
This is a lot harder now I'm in the normal weight bracket and trying to lose a bit more. 
It is.  Unless you're doing stupid amounts of exercise, your body really doesn't easily let you shift from what it thinks is a decent weight.
When I adjusted my weight on Livestrong from 73kg to 72kg (which is getting close to my target of 70), my calorie goal went down from 1611 to 1593.  Just doesn't seem fair, being rewarded with an even lower calorie goal.  Anyway "weight loss plateau" articles give a few tips.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #873 on: 03 February, 2010, 09:51:13 am »
I don't seem to be getting the hang of this weight loss idea :(
Getting there...

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #874 on: 03 February, 2010, 12:20:37 pm »
Me neither.

I put today's appalling result down to the large amount of curry and chocolate cake consumed last night cos it was me birfdy. Beer was consumed also.
There's no vibrations, but wait.