Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1253986 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #1325 on: 12 January, 2011, 10:32:14 pm »
My weight loss is going cack so far, I have gone up 100g despite cycling 209 miles in a week!
Can I claim hormonal fluid retention?

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1326 on: 12 January, 2011, 10:34:16 pm »
I wouldn't bother comparing weight against the previous week. 0.5kg is a pint of water difference in hydration levels. I look back at least 4 weeks for the general trend rather than getting too obsessive about week by week results.

Weigh daily then you might have a better chance of seeing the trend faster.

As long as you don't obsess over it.  Even if you weigh yourself at the same time every day, your weight can vary by a pound or two just depending on how long it is since you had a good dump or, as has been said, your hydration level.  If your weight suddenly goes up a pound or two from the day before and you can't think why, you need the restraint not to panic and starve yourself.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #1327 on: 12 January, 2011, 10:37:25 pm »
My weight loss is going cack so far, I have gone up 100g despite cycling 209 miles in a week!
Can I claim hormonal fluid retention?
I always do :).

Most actions seem to take about 10 days to register, so if you have a really good week, you might not see the results till next weeks weigh in. And vice versa.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1328 on: 12 January, 2011, 11:21:01 pm »
Muscles which are exercised more than normally may swell and absorb water...

simonp

« Reply #1329 on: 12 January, 2011, 11:41:11 pm »
Muscles which are exercised more than normally may swell and absorb water...

Ahem...

Mille Cymru: before the event, I was 68kg.

Day after the event, I was 68kg.

2 days later, I was 66kg, and my jeans were no longer feeling tight around my thighs.

:)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1330 on: 13 January, 2011, 01:06:25 pm »
QED  :)

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1331 on: 15 January, 2011, 02:00:58 pm »
Whoops.  Have lost 7lb in 11 days.  Need to dial up the calorie intake, cause that's not healthy.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #1332 on: 16 January, 2011, 02:04:55 pm »
Whoops.  Have lost 7lb in 11 days.  Need to dial up the calorie intake, cause that's not healthy.

How did you do that?

« Reply #1333 on: 16 January, 2011, 02:38:23 pm »
I've just weighed myself for the first time since last summer. I'm 11st 10.... not sure I've ever been this portly before, but I have been within a couple of pounds of it most winters.  Will try to shed a stone by June.

Now, where's my cake...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1334 on: 16 January, 2011, 02:55:43 pm »
I'll bring it over. I'm starving!  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1335 on: 16 January, 2011, 04:41:06 pm »

How did you do that?

By eating less while still cycling 17 miles each day.  By eating carefully, with plenty of fruit and vegetable intake and enough slow-release carb content to keep my energy levels up.  All the boring stuff.  It's just a matter of discipline, but it does help that I know I can do it, having done it before.

Back when I decided that I had to do something about having drifted slowly up to 15 stone, I switched to a very healthy diet, planned a careful exercise regime and lost four stone in eight months.  It was a genuinely life-changing experience, which left me fitter than I had ever been in my life and with a new habit of setting and achieving goals.  I stayed healthy, fit and active and I only drifted into being overweight again because I eventually decided to set goals based on something other than bodyweight (I moved on to strength training), partly to prove to myself and others that I hadn't strayed into anorexia.

I'll be increasing the calorie intake a notch to achieve a more sensible rate.  In any case, in my experience you get the highest return from your efforts at the beginning, with diminishing returns as time goes on.

LEE

« Reply #1336 on: 16 January, 2011, 05:07:43 pm »

How did you do that?

By eating less while still cycling 17 miles each day.  By eating carefully, with plenty of fruit and vegetable intake and enough slow-release carb content to keep my energy levels up.  All the boring stuff.  It's just a matter of discipline, but it does help that I know I can do it, having done it before.

Back when I decided that I had to do something about having drifted slowly up to 15 stone, I switched to a very healthy diet, planned a careful exercise regime and lost four stone in eight months.  It was a genuinely life-changing experience, which left me fitter than I had ever been in my life and with a new habit of setting and achieving goals.  I stayed healthy, fit and active and I only drifted into being overweight again because I eventually decided to set goals based on something other than bodyweight (I moved on to strength training), partly to prove to myself and others that I hadn't strayed into anorexia.

I'll be increasing the calorie intake a notch to achieve a more sensible rate.  In any case, in my experience you get the highest return from your efforts at the beginning, with diminishing returns as time goes on.

7lbs is approximately 24,500 calories stored as fat.  17 miles a day may just about use up about 1000 calories per day extra so that's 11,000 calories.  The remaining 13,500 calories (let's say another 1000 per day to keep it simple) must be from calories deficit.

However, it's fairly common to lose a lot straight after christmas as you..ahem...."clear out" all those mince pies. 

I'd be surprised if 17 miles a day would support the same weight loss over the next 11 days.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1337 on: 16 January, 2011, 05:16:16 pm »
It is not usually possible to lose 7lb of fat in a few days. A (starved) man's daily energy requirements only mount up to only about two thirds of a pound of fat.
Much initial weight loss is glycogen and its associated water. Some may be muscle.

This amount of weight can quickly be regained when people 'break' their diet and a few pieces of toast may result in several pounds' weight gain.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1338 on: 16 January, 2011, 05:40:54 pm »
However, it's fairly common to lose a lot straight after christmas as you..ahem...."clear out" all those mince pies. 

I'd be surprised if 17 miles a day would support the same weight loss over the next 11 days.

Yes, I believe that's what I said.  I've already seen the rate of weight loss slow. But I'm experienced, now, at sustaining a sensible and controlled regimen for a long period of time; I'll be hitting my goals in good time.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #1339 on: 16 January, 2011, 06:08:17 pm »
I'm slowly and steady dropping pounds of fat, I need to get my high tech weight notes from last year to check how much,
but I know I have lost 17 kg fat since October 2010.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1340 on: 16 January, 2011, 07:51:34 pm »
Much initial weight loss is glycogen and its associated water. Some may be muscle.

All too aware of that, which is why I'm trimming the regimen.

This amount of weight can quickly be regained when people 'break' their diet and a few pieces of toast may result in several pounds' weight gain.

Already did the bounce after the initial loss and then went on to steady loss.  It's only on the second time of hitting 12 stone that I posted.

I'm slowly and steady dropping pounds of fat, I need to get my high tech weight notes from last year to check how much,
but I know I have lost 17 kg fat since October 2010.

That's nice progress.  Is October when you started, or is that just a milestone on the way?

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #1341 on: 16 January, 2011, 08:02:17 pm »
October was just a milestone, I started January 4 2010, but had a relapse over summer, but got back into
"weight loss mode" in October. I'm trying to keep a lifestyle on maximum 2300 kcal/9700 kjoule  per day.
Plus keeping a energy ratio of 50 % carbohydrates /30% proteins / 20% fats and a minimum amount of alcohol.

« Reply #1342 on: 17 January, 2011, 07:10:44 am »
If I am recommended to eat 2,300 kcal a day to lose 2 lbs. a week and I then go and burn 2,000 kcal on a cycle, does that mean I should eat 4,300 kcal that day or just have a larger deficit that day?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1343 on: 17 January, 2011, 01:20:57 pm »
I doubt if 2,300 kcal/day would lose you significant weight unless you are very big or exercising to the tune of 800kcal per day. An average sedentary man needs around 2,500 kcal per day. A deficit of 200 kcal per day will only lose a pound of fat every two to three weeks.

You should eat some (but not excessive) extra food on the days you do long rides. Suffering 'the bonk' is no fun.

Chris S

« Reply #1344 on: 17 January, 2011, 01:55:04 pm »
You should eat some (but not excessive) extra food on the days you do long rides. Suffering 'the bonk' is no fun.

Unless you are used to it anyway.

I rode the first 150km of a blustery audax on Saturday, having eaten just a small bowl of cereal of breakfast, and a couple of digestives. My total input for the day was just over 2500kcals, and estimated burn was 4500kcals.

That said - at the 150km mark I did properly bonk, and had to resort to the emergency Christmas Cake ration before I could carry on ;).

« Reply #1345 on: 17 January, 2011, 02:02:00 pm »
I burn 1500-1800 extra kcal a day, depending which piece of software I choose to believe. Livestrong calculated my basal metabolic rate + background light activity to buy me  1600 kcal a day if I want to lose 1.5lbs a week (ie 7000kcal deficit for the week). Livestrong offsets additional activity, so I am "allowed" 3300kcal and should still lose weight. I did this last year, and lost a steady .75kg a week. I lost 25kg this way.

The problem I've found is that because I habitually do a lot of physical activity, I habitually eat like a pig. During December/ early January, I barely rode and managed to gain 4kg! OK, a big part of that was festive drinking + friend staying for 2 weeks and buying lots of beer. Still, I have been surprise at how quickly I can put the weight back on.

Back to porridge and apples it is then!

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #1346 on: 17 January, 2011, 02:05:04 pm »

Unless you are used to it anyway.

I rode the first 150km of a blustery audax on Saturday, having eaten just a small bowl of cereal of breakfast, and a couple of digestives. My total input for the day was just over 2500kcals, and estimated burn was 4500kcals.

That said - at the 150km mark I did properly bonk, and had to resort to the emergency Christmas Cake ration before I could carry on ;).

I only resort to the emergency Christmas Cake ration when absolutely necessary, which is nearly always.

Chris S

« Reply #1347 on: 17 January, 2011, 02:06:49 pm »
I only resort to the emergency Christmas Cake ration when absolutely necessary, which is nearly always.

Oh, it was necessary! I was at the "eyes rolling back in the head" stage. The 25mph againsterly at the time, didn't exactly help.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1348 on: 17 January, 2011, 02:23:39 pm »

The problem I've found is that because I habitually do a lot of physical activity, I habitually eat like a pig. During December/ early January, I barely rode and managed to gain 4kg! OK, a big part of that was festive drinking + friend staying for 2 weeks and buying lots of beer. Still, I have been surprise at how quickly I can put the weight back on.

This is a hidden gotcha in being fit and eating responsibly; the more you do of that, the more you train your body to process food efficiently.  This means that you will gain more weight from a tub of ice cream or a cheeseburger than somebody who is overweight and unfit.  You also need to expend more effort to lose the weight, although your fitness level should mean you don't find it nearly so much of a chore.

I find it easy to recover from the occasional indulgence, like a rich meal at a restaurant, while the accumulated pounds from backsliding over a longer period are more of a challenge.  I suppose it would be easier to be less active and drop back my calorie intake to match, but being active and fit is too much fun ;)

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #1349 on: 17 January, 2011, 05:59:40 pm »
(lots of stuff)

Okay, I get it now. Given you starting weight, it's also not so astounding - i.e. as a percentage. If I lost that much that quickly, I would be worried, given I am still not 10 stone, even being a stone more than I'd like.