Author Topic: Swollen knuckle after hot water  (Read 1424 times)

Swollen knuckle after hot water
« on: 03 June, 2020, 04:26:36 pm »
The last few nights after doing the dishes I've noticed the knuckles on my ring finger on left hand have swollen and it feels kind of tight/stiff to make a fist.  I couldnt take my wedding ring off, it was that swollen, but thankfully by this morn it had gone down and I got my ring off.
Its only this knuckle (both the 2nd joint from the finger tip and main joint where finger joins hand) which swell and discolour (lose colour, go a bit grey)

Anyone ever had this before ?
thanks, steve

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Swollen knuckle after hot water
« Reply #1 on: 03 June, 2020, 04:58:08 pm »
Is it surface or internal?

At the beginning of all this hand-washing COVID stuff my knuckles went red, like I'd been punching someone. They settled down.
It is simpler than it looks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 03 June, 2020, 05:45:31 pm »
Simple things first; have you tried taking the ring off before starting the washing up? Does it hurt?

Many people's fingers thicken with age.
All fingers thicken when fat weight is gained.
Blood vessels expand with heat and a ring can prevent venous return by simple pressure.

In the absence of pain or abnormal appearance, I doubt there's a serious problem.

« Reply #3 on: 03 June, 2020, 10:09:44 pm »
Its internal, I dont suspect its to do with extra washing. 

My ring isnt very tight, it shouldnt prevent venous return although I do wonder if thats what the issue is/was:  the finger swelling with the heat of the dish water and pinching the circulation a tad.  Last couple of nights I've not worn it and it seems fine. 
thanks !

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 03 June, 2020, 11:56:19 pm »
There's gravity too. Your hands will be below your heart when you're doing the dishes.

Probably best just remove your ring before doing the dishes; means you won't have to call a plumber to retrieve it if there's a mishap, as my mother did...