Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 345342 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #1425 on: 01 October, 2020, 07:40:20 pm »
Pushed my max square up to 42 and the cluster over 2000.  Given that I'm not willing to use trains for something as trivial as a bike ride, I'm not expecting much more significant progress now the weather's turning.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1426 on: 02 October, 2020, 07:20:00 pm »
I'm not expecting much more significant progress now the weather's turning.

Same here. But I did manage to opportunistically bag a tricky tile today, which was very satisfying. Went for a walk up the creek and because it was low tide and I had expeditiously worn wellies, I decided to go for it, and was able to head offshore *just* far enough. Strictly speaking, a no-go area, but since I stayed well below the high-water mark, I think that's OK.

No increase to my max square, which stands at 17x17, but I now have 14 of them. Still two tiles away from expanding to 19x19. Unfortunately, being hemmed in by the coastline on three sides means not much chance of expanding beyond 19 for a while yet.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

simonp

« Reply #1427 on: 02 October, 2020, 07:27:15 pm »
I managed a paltry two or three squares last weekend. I have a training plan which only allowed for a 2h30 ride or so. It is what it is.

Probably not going to get any squares this weekend, judging by the forecast. I'll be doing two 2h30 z2 indoors workouts.

citoyen

« Reply #1428 on: 04 October, 2020, 05:06:55 pm »
Well, I got fed up of looking out the window at the rain this morning so decided to go for a ride in it instead. I had a 110km route already planned, designed to pick off some tiles, so I went for it... and thanks to the wonders of modern sportswear fabric technology, I stayed warm and comfortable even when it was belting down.

The only thing that spoiled the ride was forgetting to pick up my water bottle and ride food on the way out, so ended up bailing out before I hit the wall, and got the train home. But still managed to get 75km done and more importantly, picked off most of the tiles I was after (seven) - and my max square is now up to 20.

Very satisfying day out!

« Reply #1429 on: 12 October, 2020, 10:46:56 am »
Needed some scenery therapy after 3 days cycling in the central belt, cluster up to 1550. Good weather was forecast for rest of week. Down to D&G to catch some tiles, running total 28600 +. As usual if its not on Strava your cycling history does not exist.

« Reply #1430 on: 13 October, 2020, 10:36:19 am »
Cycled across Germany from Lake Constanz to the Rügen Island in the past few weeks, this netted me slightly over 1000 new tiles but no increase in cluster.
A wonderful ride though.

citoyen

« Reply #1431 on: 13 October, 2020, 11:19:19 am »
Cycled across Germany from Lake Constanz to the Rügen Island in the past few weeks, this netted me slightly over 1000 new tiles but no increase in cluster.
A wonderful ride though.

You make me feel like a rank amateur. (Which I am, to be fair.)

simonp

« Reply #1432 on: 17 October, 2020, 10:41:58 pm »
Managed to get to 16x16 today with a 75km ride to the SW corner:

Wish I'd filled in that one tile south of Bridgwater as I'll have to return to that area to fill in before I can grow the square to the south.

« Reply #1433 on: 18 October, 2020, 09:38:41 am »
Filling in 9 tiles on the lefty jumps the square up from 23 to 28. Aberfoyle forest and east of Uplawmoor were a pain.

citoyen

« Reply #1434 on: 18 October, 2020, 06:28:23 pm »
Lovely 95km ride today to pick up 15 new tiles and take my max cluster from 742 to 770. Turned out to be a really good route too. Very happy with that.

« Reply #1435 on: 18 October, 2020, 07:13:03 pm »
I'm going to have to stump up cash to get into Raby Castle.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1436 on: 18 October, 2020, 08:48:05 pm »
Reckon you could just rock up at the door asking if you're in the right place for an eye test...

« Reply #1437 on: 19 October, 2020, 04:53:10 pm »
When you export the Max Cluster KML file, and it shows the tiles you haven't ridden, but only a slightly larger area than your max square.  Is there any way to make it show tiles further away?

@CorbieLinnRider

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1438 on: 19 October, 2020, 04:57:35 pm »
When you export the Max Cluster KML file, and it shows the tiles you haven't ridden, but only a slightly larger area than your max square.  Is there any way to make it show tiles further away?

On the map on the Activities tab under settings there are options to export various KMLs. It's dependent on the zoom setting so watch out!

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1439 on: 19 October, 2020, 04:59:26 pm »
Got an awkward tile yesterday by means of sneaking up someone's drive. Cluster up to 1603.

« Reply #1440 on: 19 October, 2020, 06:58:12 pm »
+72 to my cluster yesterday.   I planned a 200km DIY out into the Nottinghamshire/Lincolnshire/Rutland/Leicestershire lanes, planned specifically to pick off some easy to get missing tiles. 

Cluster now 3385.

Before

After

Eddington: 114 Miles

simonp

« Reply #1441 on: 22 October, 2020, 08:43:25 pm »

103km ride today to extend the SE corner and got to 17x17

« Reply #1442 on: 23 October, 2020, 06:29:54 pm »
Ages ago I plotted a 120k route to extend my max square to the southwest.  This involved a lot of riding round Coleshill, Birmingham airport and northern Coventry and another 50k there and similar back home.  I kept putting it off but finally did it as a mandatory route 200k audax a couple of weeks ago. This bagged 94 tiles and bumped my max square up to 48*48.

Urban routes can be fairly efficient in terms of distance for picking up tiles as there are a lots of roads to use. The traffic, traffic lights and junctions don't exactly help your speed though.
I also had a few mechanical issues resulting from a puncture picked up on a bit of canal towpath.  I somehow managed to reinsert the rear wheel incorrectly and damaged the rear derailleur.  This was beaten back into some sort of functional shape with a rock using a convenient cattle grid as an anvil  ::-)

A 150k ride out to the Kettering area on Tuesday added another 20 tiles and bumped my max square up to 50*50.

To my eye that top edge 'needs' tidying up a bit and I reckon that a trip to Newstead Abbey and Southwell should sort it out   :facepalm:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1443 on: 23 October, 2020, 10:55:35 pm »
Ages ago I plotted a 120k route to extend my max square to the southwest.  This involved a lot of riding round Coleshill, Birmingham airport and northern Coventry

You have my sympathy.

« Reply #1444 on: 24 October, 2020, 09:50:35 am »
Ages ago I plotted a 120k route to extend my max square to the southwest.  This involved a lot of riding round Coleshill, Birmingham airport and northern Coventry

You have my sympathy.

Thanks - but it was OK!  I find that an occasional dose of urban sprawl is good for me and helps me appreciate the countryside ;)   None of it was as bad as north Nottingham's relentless 60's housing estates with carp road surfaces  :sick:

The only bits I didn't enjoy were some unavoidable stretches of fast A roads like the A452.  Even those weren't that bad as it was a Sunday and they were fairly quiet.  Most of the cars seemed fairly well behaved too  :)

citoyen

« Reply #1445 on: 24 October, 2020, 07:23:56 pm »
Bagged 9 tiles yesterday with an 18km walk, but detached from my main cluster so not much use until I fill in a few more gaps.

And another 17 tiles today on a 106km jaunt to the Maidstone area, taking my max cluster up to 805. The route included a stretch of the Pilgrims Way in order to bag a rogue tile that is otherwise only accessible by riding on the A20. With hindsight, I think that might have been a preferable option (see rant thread for opinions on the suitability of the Pilgrims Way for NCN status).

Getting to the point now where any tile-bagging activity will require riding well in excess of 100km - assuming I ride there and back, and bag enough tiles to be worth the trip. I don't mind - it's a good excuse to get some longer rides in - but it limits opportunities somewhat and requires more time planning. 

simonp

« Reply #1446 on: 24 October, 2020, 07:41:36 pm »
Worthwhile rides to the south or east for squares are 100km+ for me now. I can do useful rides to the north more easily. To the west lies the Bristol Channel so not much help there.

« Reply #1447 on: 24 October, 2020, 07:54:13 pm »
I thought you did rowing, Simon?

simonp

« Reply #1448 on: 25 October, 2020, 08:55:39 am »
I thought you did rowing, Simon?

Not so much since just over a year ago. Did a bit of pottering about in a single over the summer but I won’t go anywhere near a crew boat during covid.

simonp

« Reply #1449 on: 25 October, 2020, 04:33:51 pm »
102km ride today gets 18x18. Don’t think a single ride will get 19x19