Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Anyway, I think it's nice that the practice of not bothering with the arrival time for the intermediate controls that has been practice in the Netherlands since at least 2017 is now official policy.

I was just going to say that this change simply recognises the de facto position of most events.

Just for completeness, this rule change recognises the de facto position now. I have seen at PBP and at a 1200 in Oz where several riders out of time at intermediate controls have had their brevet cards confiscated, preventing the riders from finishing officially if they continued. At other brevets in Oz, I have seen brevets not validated for being out of time at intermediate controls despite the riders being in time at the finish. Those instances were over a decade ago now.

I find it amusing that the official rules for Fleche Velocio (and by extension similar national versions e.g. Arrow to York) do not allow teams to spend more than 2 hours at any intermediate control, to keep riders moving along their route and minimising rest/ sleep. At the same time, ACP's intermediate control opening and closing times are now advisory, potentially maximising the opportunity for rest/ sleep. There seems to a clash of philosophies between those rules.

Anyway, I think it's nice that the practice of not bothering with the arrival time for the intermediate controls that has been practice in the Netherlands since at least 2017 is now official policy.

I was just going to say that this change simply recognises the de facto position of most events.

PBP - many people finished despite being out of time at intermediate controls.
I personally have been outside time at one control on rides in UK, Belgium and Netherlands and had them validated, this typically happens at the first control after waking up on the last day. People would not officially say that intermediate times were not important, but no one really cared. I don't think I have ever been refused validation for an intermediate control time non compliance.
GPS / Etrex 32x slow map display?
« Last post by LittleWheelsandBig on Today at 01:41:41 pm »
HK bought me an Etrex32x to replace an Etrex 30x damaged during my Mumbai transit. I have set it up similarly to my previous Etrex, map continuously on, based on franklyfrankie's guide. The problem is that the map takes a long time to realign when I go round a corner and the map even blanks out partially or completely for varying durations. The display itself is still working.

Is this a known bug, is there something weird in my set up and is there an easy way to get this new Etrex to perform at least as well as my previous Etrex?
The Pub / Re: Tune Association II - Son of Tune Association
« Last post by JefO on Today at 01:18:54 pm »
Pillow of Clouds - Pink Floyd
I should have said I'd switch if they'd pay my gas bill that's just arrived!
I believe it was Scottish Power...

It's a while ago now so my recollection can't be entirely trusted but I think it was Scottish Power who visited us as well. They seem to be notorious for this kind of thing.
« Last post by Mr Larrington on Today at 12:52:56 pm »
Idiot Wind ~ His Bobness
« Last post by CAMRAMan on Today at 12:34:09 pm »
Never Buy the Sun - Billy Bragg
The Sporting Life / Re: Southend Football
« Last post by Cudzoziemiec on Today at 12:27:22 pm »
I don't know if there was anything there that hasn't been in this thread, but putting it all in one article does explain what a mess it's been. And still is.
The Pub / Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Last post by Regulator on Today at 12:02:37 pm »
I had this once at an employer, they wanted my email address to have my name spelled wrong in it. I noped out.

My response to HR and IT would be "This is an unauthorised change to recording of my personal data, my name, and under GDPR article 5D CompanyName and agents have an obligation to process my personal data accurately and correct inaccuracies in a timely manner. Please correct my name in your systems to CorrectName which it was from StartDate to FailDate. Should you fail to do this, I shall require proof you have reporting CompanyName to the ICO for breach of GDPR article 5D within 72 hours of my email sent time, or I shall be making my own Data Protection Act complaint and internal grievance against CompanyName. I shall also not be responsible for any work I am unable to complete during this misprocessing of my data".

I don't fuck around. Either get my data right, or I'll smack people with the GDPR and threaten ICO. I once started sending 12 hour count downs to the DWP who eventually backed down from their "it's impossible, we don't have the data, you have to resend" position to "we found your data".

I was just thinking along those lines...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10