Author Topic: Cameron's Avatar...  (Read 18572 times)

Cameron's Avatar...
« on: 21 August, 2009, 03:49:05 pm »
BBC NEWS | Entertainment | UK cinemas get a taste of Avatar

15 min preview being shown apparently - I wonder if it will live up to the 3-D revolution hype?

Avatar (2009 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Zoidburg

Re: Cameron's Avatar...
« Reply #1 on: 21 August, 2009, 04:53:36 pm »
I like his films apart from that crap one he made about some ocean liner that sank.

Having said that I don't really like him as an individual, read IMDB or any of the DVD special feature bits and the list of stuff that he takes credit for on his films is effing huge, the Ego has landed.

Avatar will either make him or break him I think, the funding and development time he asks for between films is becoming bigger and longer and sooner or later it will bite him on the arse when he turns out something that flops. The Abyss very nearly did for him, he got away with that one with the skin of his teeth because it was an OK film that certainly had its moments. It was hugely expensive though and it took a very very long time to get all the money back, making a mostly non CGI film set under water was never going to be cheap.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #2 on: 21 August, 2009, 09:04:07 pm »
I like his films apart from that crap one he made about some ocean liner that sank.

Having said that I don't really like him as an individual, read IMDB or any of the DVD special feature bits and the list of stuff that he takes credit for on his films is effing huge, the Ego has landed.

Avatar will either make him or break him I think, the funding and development time he asks for between films is becoming bigger and longer and sooner or later it will bite him on the arse when he turns out something that flops. The Abyss very nearly did for him, he got away with that one with the skin of his teeth because it was an OK film that certainly had its moments. It was hugely expensive though and it took a very very long time to get all the money back, making a mostly non CGI film set under water was never going to be cheap.

Yep, I completely agree with what you've said Zoiders. He is a total cock.

I saw the preview today and I have to say I was completely underwhelmed by it. It looked ordinairy. In fact it almost felt Disneyesque.

« Reply #3 on: 21 August, 2009, 09:32:22 pm »
Maybe it'll be style over substance - I'll be interested to see how good the 3-D is, but the story still has to be there.

My favourite Cameron film has to be Aliens - I notice Sigourney Weaver is in Avatar too. 

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4 on: 21 August, 2009, 09:55:40 pm »
Wow, you guys really know James Cameron?  You hang in celebutard circles I ken not wot of.

Film looks purdy though :)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Really Ancien

« Reply #5 on: 21 August, 2009, 10:13:17 pm »
I saw some of it on the box. It seemed to me like the usual CGI stuff, alright  if you suspend your disbelief for gameplay stuff, but grossly inadequate in comparison with well-shot reality, it's down to the tonal range.

Damon.

Jakob

« Reply #6 on: 21 August, 2009, 10:52:57 pm »
Cameron think he's the ultimate film-maker, but Titanic was a load of crap.
He has always been very very good with CGI/VFX and T2 still stands as one of the best visual effects movies ever.(with multiple exclamation marks). Nothing comes close in terms of creativity and innovation.
The Abyss: Large scale CGI was not an option at that time. Ending is kinda yucky, but a decent movie regardless. Movies shot in/on water are in generally notorious for sinking (pun intended, sorry), due to the slow, complicated production and high cost.

He exclaimed after LOTR than CGI had now come far enough for him to make Avatar, which I also guess is why he went to Weta to get it made.

Anyway. I suspect Avatar will be visually stunning and suck as a story. I'll see it in the cinema regardless (got loads of friends working on it).

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #7 on: 21 August, 2009, 11:30:48 pm »
I'm sure I see a resemblance between the blue beastie / Avatar, and the faun in Pan's Labyrinth.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #8 on: 24 August, 2009, 12:49:23 pm »
But the bluefellas say "woah" and fall in lurve (awwww), the faun was a right little bastard. 
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

redshift

• redshift home
« Reply #9 on: 24 August, 2009, 02:48:06 pm »
I think I prefer the faun.
L
Windcheetah No. 176

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #10 on: 24 August, 2009, 04:27:51 pm »
When most of the hype is about the process of making the film rather than the script or the acting, I tend to lose interest pretty quickly.

Give me the Old Skool special effects and proper sci-fi story of Moon any day.

Which is not to say I didn't love T2 or Aliens, because I did, but they also had a decent story and script as well as the stunning SFX.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Zoidburg

« Reply #11 on: 24 August, 2009, 04:37:30 pm »
Aliens was old SFX! ;D

CGI free, entirely matte painting, models, animatronics, hard effects, real flame throwers!

One of the reasons I dislike Cameron is because Aliens was a monumental undertaking with some very famous designers on board and SFX guys, yet Cameron takes credit for stuff that he did not design or develop.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #12 on: 24 August, 2009, 04:49:11 pm »
Aliens was old SFX! ;D

Oh yeah! Well, that's probably why I liked it. Wasn't as good as the original Alien though.

Anyway, I think the point about great CGI not necessarily making a great film is proved by the fact that T2 was very good but T3 was rubbish.

To be fair to James Cameron, at least he isn't Michael Bay.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Zoidburg

« Reply #13 on: 24 August, 2009, 04:51:24 pm »
To be fair to Michael Bay - he knows exactly what he churns out and makes no claims otherwise.

I bet he doesnt lay claim to his SFX teams work either.

LEE

« Reply #14 on: 24 August, 2009, 04:52:30 pm »

It sinks?
Thanks for ruining that for me.

James Cameron makes superb action films.

T1 and T2 are the same film (both superb) but with more money spent on T2.

Aliens is a superb action film, he didn't ruin the Alien franchise he just changed the style.  (Alien was a Horror film, and superb also).

Titanic was a love story.  In my mind it lacked 2 vital Cameron ingredients, Terminators and Aliens. (De Carprio was an illegal Alien but that doesn't count)

Jakob

« Reply #15 on: 24 August, 2009, 05:35:45 pm »
To be fair to Michael Bay - he knows exactly what he churns out and makes no claims otherwise.

I bet he doesnt lay claim to his SFX teams work either.

No, he just insults them..badly. If there's one director I'll never work for, then that's him.

« Reply #16 on: 10 September, 2009, 02:42:30 pm »
Saw the trailer last night. It didn't look that good - mostly it looked like a computer game. If there's any plot, the trailer didn't show it, and left me with no real desire to see the film. :-\
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

redshift

• redshift home
« Reply #17 on: 18 December, 2009, 08:32:01 pm »
OK, I'll bite.  I've just been to see the 2D version.  (I would have had to hang around for two hours before the next 3D showing, and I'm leery of that anyway because *every* 3D film I've ever seen has given me blinding migraine within the first 20 minutes).

Good:
*Very* pretty.
The CGI is extremely good, in the sense that like last year's Star Trek, it's finally getting into my brain as 'real' rather than 'FX shot: Beauty Pass, +smoke, +particles' or whatever.  Probably the fake lens flare and the fake dirt.

Indifferent:
Plot.  There is one, but in the grand green ethic sense of the movie, it's recycled from old James Cameron movies and A Man Called Horse (but without the Suspension).  Move along there, nothing to see.
Aliens.  They're blue, with stripes.  Get over it.  They have big sad eyes (which cry).  They kiss (excuse me? cross-galactic cultural paradigm? er, ok.)  They have tribes and a big Good Spirit.  They network (this is not an euphemism for sex, except when it is.   ::-)   )

Bad:
Bumnumbing length.  (2'40)
Telegraphed plot points using 'Neighbours-style' cuts: Is that roller skate *really* sitting on the top step?  Ooh, dat's gonna hurt...  Ok, there aren't any roller skates, but you get the drift.

There are quite a few jarring niggles, but since they're possible spoilers:
(click to show/hide)

I have perhaps been harsh.  It isn't a bad film, as long as you go expecting little but eye-candy.  As I said, it is very pretty, but that's about it. 
L
Windcheetah No. 176

« Reply #18 on: 18 December, 2009, 08:40:42 pm »
A film buff from work ( he did it as his major at Uni ) saw the 3D version last night and thought it was amazingly brilliant.

I will have to decide for myself though.  The boys are willing, but Mrs G is not.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #19 on: 18 December, 2009, 08:53:17 pm »
I'll be along as soon as I can get away from the sprogmas shopping.  The clips I've seen seem to have snuck around the Uncanny Valley. 

« Reply #20 on: 18 December, 2009, 08:58:11 pm »
I heard someone say the story is more or less... 'Dances with smurfs'.   :)

redshift

• redshift home
« Reply #21 on: 18 December, 2009, 09:27:27 pm »
I heard someone say the story is more or less... 'Dancing with smurfs'.   :)

Ah yes - I knew there was another film in there somewhere...  ;D
L
Windcheetah No. 176

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #22 on: 18 December, 2009, 09:41:36 pm »
Hot smurfs.

redshift

• redshift home
« Reply #23 on: 18 December, 2009, 09:45:21 pm »
L
Windcheetah No. 176

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #24 on: 18 December, 2009, 09:50:34 pm »
Yebbut I thought the beeptile in The Relic was tasty. O:-)