Author Topic: Kilo to Go - gone bust  (Read 7147 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Kilo to Go - gone bust
« on: 13 April, 2016, 10:51:04 pm »
Thousands of sportive riders could be left out of pocket after organiser Kilo To Go ceased trading due to insolvency.

The company organised a number of events across the country, including the popular Cheshire Cat and Tour of the Peak sportives.

Insolvency Practitioners Direct UK has been instructed to assist the director with placing the GST Team Limited company into voluntary liquidation, meaning their future events are cancelled (see list below) and many riders may not be able to reclaim their entry fees.
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/sportive-organiser-kilo-go-ceases-trading-due-insolvency-220893

I hope no one here is affected, and I do wonder if this is a sign that the Sportive market is going to consolidate a bit?
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Re: Kilo to Go - gone bust
« Reply #1 on: 14 April, 2016, 09:08:12 am »
The sportive market has expanded at such a rate, this isn't surprising. There's only so many £50 sportives a person can enter so we're are much more selective. I know I am... I have only entered 5 this year. Two abroad and three in the UK. The two down south are on closed road which tempted me as a niche selling point and Fred Whitton is legendary. All the other routes are easily covered by audaxes which are a lot cheaper, more hard core, more food friendly and importantly more considerate.

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #2 on: 15 April, 2016, 01:09:32 pm »
I think also the novelty of a "timed ride" with "offishul results" is also somewhat dying a death due to the prevalence of Strava where one can compare any ride, ever (especially if one waits for a hooning tailwind  :demon:)

I have enjoyed some of their events in the past, but equally I have found myself disappointed by the fallout from so many "road warriors" being in the same place at the same time, not least the drifts of gel wrappers and raised eyebrows that one might actually stop at a Red Light when one is "on a mission".

As far as I can see, the routes are in the public domain, as are the roads themselves.

Vive l'Audax. Vive la difference.

« Reply #3 on: 18 April, 2016, 09:53:39 pm »
40 riders from local club have lost money.......
We're supposed to be feeding them not fatting them........quote from chef on LEL

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4 on: 18 April, 2016, 11:35:05 pm »

Ouch.  How much did one ride cost?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #5 on: 19 April, 2016, 06:36:44 am »

I think it was £40 each for tour of the peak ride..........
We're supposed to be feeding them not fatting them........quote from chef on LEL

« Reply #6 on: 19 April, 2016, 08:49:16 am »
Good riddance to bad rubbish.

I feel very sorry for the entrants that have lost money but Kilotogo were awful. 

A few years ago, I entered their Cheshire Cat. Having forked out £35, they only benefit was route signage.  There was no food at the HQ and all I received was a very cheap tinplate medal.   When they cancelled another event, they refused point blank to refund entrants. 

Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

Phil W

« Reply #7 on: 16 July, 2016, 05:08:07 pm »

I think it was £40 each for tour of the peak ride..........

I will have a GPX from the 2012 route if they still want to follow the route it took.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #8 on: 19 August, 2016, 03:49:17 pm »
Would that make it a Sportive Perm?
Everyone's favourite windbreak