Author Topic: [HAMR] 20th Jan - Steve day 166  (Read 20407 times)

Re: 20th Jan - Steve day 166
« Reply #75 on: 21 January, 2016, 11:38:55 am »
i nearly posted the same quote Fidgetbuzz  :thumbsup: :facepalm:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #76 on: 21 January, 2016, 11:42:03 am »
Fingers crossed for (good) news.
I don't really care whether he is riding or not.  I would just like to know that he is ok.

+1

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #77 on: 21 January, 2016, 11:46:31 am »
Given the freezing fog, and the fact that Steve had ridden 239 miles when he got home at 3 am yesterday morning, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find he's suffering more than a little as a result. Whether or not it means this is the end of the attempt, it was a day that would stretch anyone - even Steve. I sincerely hope he's well and that someone will confirm that sooner rather than later.

« Reply #78 on: 21 January, 2016, 11:58:12 am »
Recalling a GE1000 that I ended up DNF some years ago, bear in mind that it is often not an instant decision to pack or carry on. I had two sleeps before finally calling it a day.

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #79 on: 21 January, 2016, 12:02:53 pm »
Like anyone else reading this, my first concern is that Steve is OK.  If, indeed, he is calling a halt for the time being, I would be very happy to make a contribution towards a future attempt.  However, unless some very convincing explanation emerges for the lack of communication from the back-up team, this contribution will be dependent on a change of crew chief.

A heroic ride which continues to attract huge following and interest, shamefully let down by an incomprehensible lack of communication by the support team.  We don’t need carefully honed essays;  just a few words of reassurance, please.

« Reply #80 on: 21 January, 2016, 12:13:06 pm »
I would be very happy to make a contribution towards a future attempt.  However, unless some very convincing explanation emerges for the lack of communication from the back-up team, this contribution will be dependent on a change of crew chief.

Same here, I will not contribute again to any enterprise in which Hoppo is involved.

I would also want reassurance of a better flow of information to donors.

Having to rely on third parties such as Jo and Ivan for progress reports is not acceptable.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #81 on: 21 January, 2016, 12:16:43 pm »
203.8 Strava miles then it all appears to stop at Potton on Strava.

Potton on Strava?  Sounds very middle-class.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

red marley

« Reply #82 on: 21 January, 2016, 12:18:13 pm »
Message posted on FB a few minutes ago from Steve's team:

"Just a quick message to let everyone know Steve's okay, although the tracker isn't showing.".

So that should reassure people of his wellbeing, although nothing confirmed as to whether or not he is to continue with the challenge.

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #83 on: 21 January, 2016, 12:19:47 pm »
From FaceAche at 12:11. "Just a quick message to let everyone know Steve's OK, although the tracker isn't showing"

Rehash? Repost? New message?

Shucks. Jo beat me to it

« Reply #84 on: 21 January, 2016, 12:24:04 pm »
Message posted on FB a few minutes ago from Steve's team:

"Just a quick message to let everyone know Steve's okay, although the tracker isn't showing.".

So that should reassure people of his wellbeing, although nothing confirmed as to whether or not he is to continue with the challenge.

That raises more questions than it answers, although good to hear Steve is "OK" (whatever that means).
The sound of one pannier flapping

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #85 on: 21 January, 2016, 12:28:15 pm »
I suppose we should be grateful that 'OK' probably means he is neither in a ditch nor in hospital.
And breathe.

I can't say I'm not a little anxious, nonetheless.

« Reply #86 on: 21 January, 2016, 12:28:35 pm »
The implication is that he's ok and continuing, surely. Glad he's ok, and await confirmation of the rest.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #87 on: 21 January, 2016, 12:29:02 pm »
The post indicates to me Steve is riding.

But whoever wrote it couldn't do a better job of inviting guesswork and speculation.

« Reply #88 on: 21 January, 2016, 12:36:28 pm »
The FB post seems deliberately ambiguous about whether he's riding to me...  ??? Always good to know he's ok though.

« Reply #89 on: 21 January, 2016, 12:36:55 pm »
The worrying gap is the uncommon absence of a Strava record. Obviously not the be all and end all but that would seem the easiest way to confirm he is still making progress.

Sometimes it appears that the support crew really do just want to do this all behind closed doors with no support from anyone.

« Reply #90 on: 21 January, 2016, 12:41:35 pm »
The worrying gap is the uncommon absence of a Strava record. Obviously not the be all and end all but that would seem the easiest way to confirm he is still making progress.

Sometimes it appears that the support crew really do just want to do this all behind closed doors with no support from anyone.

Given the team's record of secrecy, I wonder if this isn't some barmy notion to continue the attempt away from public gaze.

Goodness knows where that leaves validation, although Tommy managed OK without trackers.

« Reply #91 on: 21 January, 2016, 12:47:19 pm »
On the contrary, he did have them. It just happened that they were paper/postcard based and the best technology available at the time.

Looking at the UMCA correspondence in the Bruce thread, I think they expect tracking to be public at all times. I doubt that's changed. A blip for a couple of days pretty much has to be acceptable to them though given the leeway they afforded Bruce before the warning and DQ.

Of course if it all goes private, about two thirds of the named support crew suddenly become surplus. The scrutiny about the odds of success can't have been comfortable for them but going into digital hermitage isn't going to alleviate that.

« Reply #92 on: 21 January, 2016, 12:51:01 pm »

It's not new - we had the same mixture of unwillingness and inability to communicate during December, when Steve was showing dropping mileage as the end of the "original" year approached leading to concern among supporters.

I'm not quite certain whether this most recent FB post is being deliberately uncommunicative, or if it was written by someone who lacks the ability to understand how a post appears to the reader.

« Reply #93 on: 21 January, 2016, 12:56:31 pm »
Maybe we're underestimating the pressure that constant scrutiny is putting Steve under, and that rather than 'the Team' preferring not to discuss, it's Steve who doesn't want to.

« Reply #94 on: 21 January, 2016, 12:59:17 pm »
The end of the attempt, when it came, was always going to be a difficult time.

Silence could mean all sorts of things but a possible explanation is that Steve needs a bit of time, when he's not exhausted and / or on a bike, to decide what he wants to do. 

« Reply #95 on: 21 January, 2016, 01:04:36 pm »
@Sergeant Pluck

Honestly, I suspect a combination of the two. I suspect that yesterday didn't go according to plan but they're a) trying to avoid questions (they've failed before starting on that) and b) don't understand the perspective from outside the crew.

The simple message, if its to fall on any receptive ears is that it's long due time to engage the audience in the ongoing narrative of the attempt.

Maybe we're underestimating the pressure that constant scrutiny is putting Steve under, and that rather than 'the Team' preferring not to discuss, it's Steve who doesn't want to.

Maybe, but anything other than saying so will just invite more scrutiny. "The Team are the main conduit of pressure to Steve and the crew chief should be managing the pressure.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #96 on: 21 January, 2016, 01:09:38 pm »
Sadly it does seem the end, two days not riding is just not within the current scope of mileage required.
Steve sticks to the rules adamantly as has been seen before when his heart rate monitor failed, which would indicate no rides for 2 days.

I can understand the silence, I would be in bits and maybe we should wait and respect that.

« Reply #97 on: 21 January, 2016, 01:16:36 pm »
Have to confess I read the "update" as meaning "He's ok, for varying values of 'ok'."

It's disappointing we're left to speculate so much. But I think conjecture that Steve's decided to continue the attempt somehow "in secret" is a bit wild.

I'd be happier for a bit more information about how OK Steve is. We're all clearly worried about his welfare.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #98 on: 21 January, 2016, 01:28:47 pm »
Notwithstanding all the dissatisfaction with Steve's team and the lack of info, if this is indeed the end of the attempt, something on which Steve had set his heart quite a long time ago, he's going to need a bit of time to recover from the overwhelming disappointment. I'd like to give him some breathing space and wish him all the best for whatever comes next. He's a great cyclist and has earned a place in cycling's Pantheon. Not only that, he's an absolutely lovely bloke.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #99 on: 21 January, 2016, 01:29:09 pm »
Maybe we're underestimating the pressure that constant scrutiny is putting Steve under, and that rather than 'the Team' preferring not to discuss, it's Steve who doesn't want to

Quite possibly.