Author Topic: Touring in Italy  (Read 1174 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Touring in Italy
« on: 10 January, 2024, 11:10:09 am »

This year I'm thinking of cycling from Ljubljana to Rome. Probably over about 8 days.

What I can't decide on is when is the best time of year for such a trip. I went to balance good weather, with not too busy or expensive...

Any thoughts from the hive mind of YACF?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Re: Touring in Italy
« Reply #1 on: 10 January, 2024, 02:17:46 pm »
late april/may would be my preferred months for cycling in italy, not too hot or busy.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2 on: 10 January, 2024, 02:37:42 pm »
What route are you thinking of?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #3 on: 10 January, 2024, 02:51:09 pm »
I did this in reverse about ten years ago, in late September.  The weather was pleasant for most of it, save one rainy day.  I probably did a different route from you though: I crossed Italy from Rome to Ancona, got a ferry to Croatia and cycled up the coast.  Were you thinking of doing that or going via Venice?

Edit: Oh look, I even posted a write-up on here.

« Reply #4 on: 10 January, 2024, 03:16:02 pm »
Either April/May or September/October. Most of my touring in Italy has been in one or other of these periods, and they are definitely pleasant times of year to visit. The one problem with the April/May slot is that it is quite possible that the high Alpine passes will still be closed, they generally open some time in May, and I'm sure you will want to ride over a few passes on the way. In Semptember/October it is quite possible that there will be snow on top, but the roads will be kept open.

felstedrider

« Reply #5 on: 10 January, 2024, 03:27:47 pm »
I did this in reverse about ten years ago, in late September.  The weather was pleasant for most of it, save one rainy day.  I probably did a different route from you though: I crossed Italy from Rome to Ancona, got a ferry to Croatia and cycled up the coast.  Were you thinking of doing that or going via Venice?

Edit: Oh look, I even posted a write-up on here.

Awwwww.   Don't you look young.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 10 January, 2024, 10:48:33 pm »
What route are you thinking of?

Via Venice, Bagno di Romagna, Sienna, and then down to Civitavecchia.

Would like to see if I can get some of the Strade Bianche Donne gravel sectors into the route.

Am then thinking of a ferry from Civitavecchia to Barcelona, and then back up through France.

Either April/May or September/October. Most of my touring in Italy has been in one or other of these periods, and they are definitely pleasant times of year to visit. The one problem with the April/May slot is that it is quite possible that the high Alpine passes will still be closed, they generally open some time in May, and I'm sure you will want to ride over a few passes on the way. In Semptember/October it is quite possible that there will be snow on top, but the roads will be kept open.

Of those, September is the better option for my work calendar.
--

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #7 on: 11 January, 2024, 03:25:35 pm »
You might cross or follow some of the Rome pilgrimage routes, such as the Via Francigena

If so, it might be worth seeing if you can get the relevant credential/pilgrim passport.  These give you access to cheap accommodation and some discounts at cafes, etc. You don't have to be religious to sign up.  And if you do the last 200km cycling (basically Siena to Rome) you can get yourself a fancy certificate from the Vatican if you want!

The Dutch organisation for the Via Francigena is http://www.pelgrimswegen.nl/
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #8 on: 11 January, 2024, 08:31:22 pm »
Northern Italy is fantastic for cycling. It was late September when I was there and the weather was perfect, dry, warm and not too hot. Lots of people cycle and there is excellent provision for cyclists. Hotels are cycle friendly and outside the main tourist spots affordably priced. If you search around there are some iconic places to stay in castles and monasteries etc. There are quality long distance cycle paths often along disused rail tracks and beside aqueducts/canals with good surfaces.

I'd suggest your first section to take a slightly northern route to/through the Dolomites if you're up for it. The landscape is absolutely stunning! The gradients are not particularly taxing - you'll drop down to Treviso then Venice well before Stelvio. By contrast the route nearer the coast is pretty uninteresting.

One thing to watch out for is most shops other than big supermarkets (of which there aren't many) close all afternoon, and petrol stations sell *only* fuel, no food or drinks. There are a lot of public water points (shown on OSM mapping) which is handy, though occasionally they require a water card.

Oh and don't take your bike into Venice, the fine is hefty.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: 11 January, 2024, 11:50:21 pm »
You might cross or follow some of the Rome pilgrimage routes, such as the Via Francigena

If so, it might be worth seeing if you can get the relevant credential/pilgrim passport.  These give you access to cheap accommodation and some discounts at cafes, etc. You don't have to be religious to sign up.  And if you do the last 200km cycling (basically Siena to Rome) you can get yourself a fancy certificate from the Vatican if you want!

The Dutch organisation for the Via Francigena is http://www.pelgrimswegen.nl/

Ooh. That's very useful to know.

Northern Italy is fantastic for cycling. It was late September when I was there and the weather was perfect, dry, warm and not too hot. Lots of people cycle and there is excellent provision for cyclists. Hotels are cycle friendly and outside the main tourist spots affordably priced. If you search around there are some iconic places to stay in castles and monasteries etc. There are quality long distance cycle paths often along disused rail tracks and beside aqueducts/canals with good surfaces.

I'd suggest your first section to take a slightly northern route to/through the Dolomites if you're up for it. The landscape is absolutely stunning! The gradients are not particularly taxing - you'll drop down to Treviso then Venice well before Stelvio. By contrast the route nearer the coast is pretty uninteresting.

I've been to northern Italy a few times. I also really struggle with climbing so flat definitely appeals. I know that the bit along the coast might not be the most exciting riding, so maybe I'll use that for big days to get it over with.

One thing to watch out for is most shops other than big supermarkets (of which there aren't many) close all afternoon, and petrol stations sell *only* fuel, no food or drinks. There are a lot of public water points (shown on OSM mapping) which is handy, though occasionally they require a water card.

Oh that's very useful to know.

Oh and don't take your bike into Venice, the fine is hefty.

That's also very useful to know. My route at the moment goes along the sea defences in front of Venice. Following EV8.and by the looks of it. Using quite a few ferries. I'm assuming that given it's a Euro velo route, cyxli is permitted...

J
--