Author Topic: Dolomites - via ferrata  (Read 1344 times)

Dolomites - via ferrata
« on: 25 May, 2019, 04:46:32 pm »
Slightly long-shot request this I suspect, but you just never know with yacf.

Mini-hatler is pondering a post-exam escape to the Alps for perhaps a week. He fancies somewhere as cheap as possible (being a poor income-less student oaf), with the possibility of doing some via-ferrata.

The Dolomites leap out in all searches, and it's Italy, so that makes the food and accom cheaper than Switz.

Question, is there somewhere he could base himself (no car) and be close enough to enough accessible up to a day long VF routes to make this feasible ?

Many thanks.
Rust never sleeps

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Dolomites - via ferrata
« Reply #1 on: 25 May, 2019, 07:24:47 pm »
We stayed at David's family's Pension near Algund/Lagondo. There was a regular scheduled bus service to Meran/Merano.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #2 on: 02 June, 2019, 08:57:39 am »
Lots of places would work, best thing would be to get a guide book first and decide what routes you want to do, then find a base that suits. As most of the towns are ski resorts in winter if you go early summer when they're just opening up but the Continental holidays haven't started you'll get some cracking deals.

Make sure you've got proper via ferrata climbing gear. It's tempting just to use a harness and a sling but on a big fall that could easily break your back.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #3 on: 03 June, 2019, 09:24:51 pm »
I've based myself near Cortina d'Ampezzo before, for routes on Marmolada and nearby.

You do need to have a Kinetic Impact Shock Absorber to hook your harness to the Via Ferrata.
Something like this:
https://www.climbers-shop.com/10129625/products/climbing-technology-classic-k-set-via-ferrata-set.aspx
They are sold in every climbing shop in the area.

They are to protect the via ferrata as much as you!
The Via Ferrata is generally in poor condition, and a full impact fall can unzip it from the crumbling rock.
They also have two tails, so you can clip in one above an anchor point before un-clipping the lower one; so you are never unprotected.

The Dolomite is water-soluble, and is dissolving away day by day.
Expect lumps of it to come away in your hands.
Big friendly flakes to pull up on can come away in your hands and land on your head!
The high-traffic routes along the lines of the via ferrata ( esp. on Marmolada ) are *very highly* polished, and can be tricky going.

Watch out for the massive thunderstorms at 4pm every day!

F.

Phil W

« Reply #4 on: 03 June, 2019, 09:48:47 pm »
Corvara is a good place to base yourself for Via Ferrata. Cicerone Central Dolomites volume 1 is the guidebook you want.  There's camping a couple of miles out if he wants to go really cheap.

Fly to Venice. Ryan Air go there.  Bus to Santa Lucia station. Double decker air conditioned train to Belluno. Cost 10 euros for two of us going the opposite way four years ago. Journey time about 2 hours. From Belluno he can get a short Dolomiti bus ride to Corvara or indeed Cortina. Good public transport all around.

You can hire via Ferrata kit (including climbing harness, helmet etc.) in Intersport in Corvara.

Love the Dolomites been many times, including two weeks last summer.

« Reply #5 on: 04 June, 2019, 07:29:32 am »
Brilliant !!   Thanks all. Exactly what I was after. yacf rarely fails to come up with the goods. I've pointed him at this thread.

He's very familiar with VF gear having had a couple of weeks with his Explorers troop in Austria and has done multiple routes. This troop invested in their own gear and I think the plan will be to borrow that.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #6 on: 04 June, 2019, 12:26:39 pm »

Here's a mate of mine taking his MTB to 2600m in the Gran Paradiso NP by VF...

« Reply #7 on: 04 June, 2019, 12:34:05 pm »
!!  Fantastic.

See also this movie of a couple of Germans cycling/skiing from home to the South of France via the direct route (sort of).

Rust never sleeps