Author Topic: Cristiano Ronaldo  (Read 9884 times)

Cristiano Ronaldo
« on: 24 March, 2013, 12:05:17 pm »
Seems to have been completely missed by mainstream media  :-\
Refused to swap shirts with Israel player after the recent World Cup qualifiying game. There are also reports that he auctioned his golden boot award to donate to Palestinian schools in Gazza.

http://stopwar.org.uk/index.php/palestine-and-israel/2336-worlds-most-expensive-footballer-cristiano-ronaldo-shows-again-his-solidarity-with-palestinians

Cristiano Ronaldo, the world's most expensive footballer, very pointedly walked past Israeli players who were offering to swap shirts.

If mods want to move this to P&OBI please do.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo
« Reply #1 on: 24 March, 2013, 09:15:03 pm »
Well I never. How people can surprise you and go up in your estimation.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jakob

« Reply #2 on: 26 March, 2013, 05:11:34 am »
Refused to swap shirts with Israel player after the recent World Cup qualifiying game. There are also reports that he auctioned his golden boot award to donate to Palestinian schools in Gazza.

http://stopwar.org.uk/index.php/palestine-and-israel/2336-worlds-most-expensive-footballer-cristiano-ronaldo-shows-again-his-solidarity-with-palestinians

Cristiano Ronaldo, the world's most expensive footballer, very pointedly walked past Israeli players who were offering to swap shirts.

That kind of crap does not belong on the football field...and I say that as a strong opponent of Israel's policies towards Palestine.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 26 March, 2013, 10:39:04 am »
Quite.

He should have refused to play.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4 on: 26 March, 2013, 10:41:20 am »
And donated a significant part of his far from insignificant earnings to the cause. (Of course he might...)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

LEE

« Reply #5 on: 26 March, 2013, 10:46:45 am »

That kind of crap does not belong on the football field...and I say that as a strong opponent of Israel's policies towards Palestine.

No, it belongs in political discussions between the President of America and the Prime Minister of Israel.
Oh..hold on....they forgot to discuss it.....again.

This stands more of a chance of raising awareness of the issue than decades of Politicians skirting around the issue.

Good on him.  Footballers are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

...and I hope more footballers start walking off the field as a result of racist chanting.  Football doesn't exist outside of world affairs.  It's a fantastic stage to make a point.

Ronaldo didn't spoil the game, he didn't boycott it...he used a very simple gesture to raise awareness.

Example:  Here's a bunch of cyclists talking about Israel and Palestine.

Example 2:  Wowbagger has now heard of Ronaldo.  I'd say that was an achievement right up there with solving the Gaza issue.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #6 on: 26 March, 2013, 10:50:34 am »

That's what was said over cricket, D'Oliveira and apartheid.

It was sport that began the process that brought apartheid down. However, I don't see the Israelis being quite so sport-mad as the South Africans. Boycotting their sport really hit them where it hurt.

LEE

« Reply #7 on: 26 March, 2013, 10:54:32 am »
I don't see the Israelis being quite so sport-mad as the South Africans. Boycotting their sport really hit them where it hurt.

I just threw my Jaffa cake in the bin.  It's a long march to freedom.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 26 March, 2013, 12:31:59 pm »
I was pleasantly surprised to hear of this gesture by Ronaldo, and of his other work.

Good on him.
Getting there...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #9 on: 26 March, 2013, 12:37:29 pm »
Wasn't it Robbie Fowler who was disciplined by his club for wearing a Support the Liverpool DocKers tshirt during the lock-out?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #10 on: 26 March, 2013, 01:54:39 pm »
Wasn't it Robbie Fowler who was disciplined by his club for wearing a Support the Liverpool DocKers tshirt during the lock-out?

It was.

LEE

« Reply #11 on: 26 March, 2013, 01:58:02 pm »

It was.

..and for pretending to snort a (white) line of cocaine off the pitch as a goal celebration.

I'm fairly sure Robbie Fowler thinks Palestine is the stuff Wallace & Grommit are made from.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #12 on: 26 March, 2013, 02:00:37 pm »
I'd forgotten about the white line incident. That was a reference to Arsenal, wasn't it? I thought it was quite funny.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #13 on: 26 March, 2013, 02:54:41 pm »
*Struggles with memory*
Wasn't it Mr. Fowler who on being awarded a penalty, informed the referee that it wasn't a pen?
The ref then reversed the decision.
He went up in my estimation for that. (Fowler, not the ref)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #14 on: 26 March, 2013, 02:58:52 pm »
That was Robbie Fowler. He then took - and missed - the subsequent penalty.

« Reply #15 on: 26 March, 2013, 03:24:24 pm »
I think poor Robbie is a bit mixed-up; he's done some genuinely funny things but I didn't he once drop his pants at Graeme Lesaux when it became known that Le Saux read The Guardian and was therefore gay? 

« Reply #16 on: 26 March, 2013, 04:19:22 pm »
That was a reference to Arsenal, wasn't it? I thought it was quite funny.

IIRC, the tabloids* had recently reported that Robbie had been seen snorting coke in a night club. The Everton fans were reminding him of this constantly during the game. So his response after scoring was to snort the touch line right in front of them.

I thought it was quite funny too. Fucking hilarious, in fact  :P

* So it must be true
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Jakob

« Reply #17 on: 26 March, 2013, 06:46:31 pm »

Ronaldo didn't spoil the game, he didn't boycott it...he used a very simple gesture to raise awareness.

And disrespected his opponents, who may or may not support the policies of the Israeli government, but clearly likes playing football.

If he really dislikes Israel's policy towards Palestine that much, he should have refused to play and I would have applauded it...instead he was just being a dick.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #18 on: 26 March, 2013, 09:02:15 pm »
Nonsense. The point about a gesture like this is that people notice. None of the players on the Israeli team would have known anything about his views if he hadn't played. Much better to do what he did: he still gets to play for his country and, so far as I know, what he did doesn't contravene any contract, which Fowler did.

Jakob

« Reply #19 on: 26 March, 2013, 10:18:34 pm »
So, Wow, if someone refused to shake your hand after a chess match because of where you lived, what would you think of that person?

« Reply #20 on: 27 March, 2013, 12:25:42 am »

Having watched the short video I can see elements in both sides in all this...

He did shake hands with a player, but drew the line at swapping his shirt.  This doesn't seem too extreme as actions go tbh. 

Though it may have been political gesture of sorts on the pitch - and possible prejudice shown to fellow, validly competing player.  Politcal gestures at a personal level in sport, don't 'sit' well IMO.

Proceeds (£1.5m) of personal auction to Palestine?  Yes fair enough - helping people while highlighting an issue more positively; off pitch.

Re. apartheid and (sport) football (wiki).  South Africa was suspended from FIFA in 1963. 
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #21 on: 27 March, 2013, 12:40:38 am »
It was the cricket boycott that really hurt them though.

That and being beaten by the Lions in the 1970s tour. I was against that tour taking place initially, but watching Gareth Edwards, JPR et al giving the Springboks a roasting was wonderful. From memory the lions played 22 matches and won 21, drawing the last. The SA team was known for its violence and dirty play so the Lions had their "99" call, in which they just waded in when things got tough, in the knowledge that the ref wouldn't discipline the SA players properly.

What really rubbed the salt into the wounds for the SA rugby hierarchy was that the crowds were segregated and the blacks were all cheering on the British Lions!

Jakob

« Reply #22 on: 27 March, 2013, 07:44:31 am »

He did shake hands with a player, but drew the line at swapping his shirt.  This doesn't seem too extreme as actions go tbh. 

Ok, fair enough..not as bad as I thought...although I still think he's being a douche.

LEE

« Reply #23 on: 11 December, 2013, 01:00:14 pm »
Deviating from his personal views and concentrating on his football skills for a moment...he's bloody good isn't he?

When he was at Man U it was clear he was gifted but it took him a while to lose his "all show and no end product" tag.

He's moved up several levels since he left United and now it seems he has more end product than any one else on the planet...including Messi.  Quite an extraordinary athlete.

Never imagined myself saying this but he's probably better than Messi right now, which makes him the best in the world.

Youtube videos will have you saying "He can't possibly score from th.........Oh, he just did...and again...and again"

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #24 on: 11 December, 2013, 01:14:12 pm »
Now it seems he's got over his rolling on the floor phase, I do admire his skill.  Not sure he rates above Messi, but it is astonishing how many all-time great players there are in the game right now.
Getting there...