Author Topic: Garmin: Etrex vs Oregon vs Edge  (Read 15185 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Garmin: Etrex vs Oregon vs Edge
« Reply #25 on: 03 May, 2017, 12:02:52 pm »
Can the Etrex 25 and 35 be set to pause recording time spent moving when you're not actually moving on the bike, like on the edge units, so you get real average speed and time spent cycling?

Haven't used a 35, but from my experience of an eTrex Vista HCx and an eTrex 30:

'Moving time' and 'Moving average' are amongst the many trip computer data field options.  The unit keeps recording (unless you switch off, or put the receiver into 'Demo mode', which stops the clocks), so the 'Overall Average', 'Stopped time', etc. fields give meaningful data.

« Reply #26 on: 03 May, 2017, 12:27:24 pm »
Can the Etrex 25 and 35 be set to pause recording time spent moving when you're not actually moving on the bike, like on the edge units, so you get real average speed and time spent cycling?

Haven't used a 35, but from my experience of an eTrex Vista HCx and an eTrex 30:

'Moving time' and 'Moving average' are amongst the many trip computer data field options.  The unit keeps recording (unless you switch off, or put the receiver into 'Demo mode', which stops the clocks), so the 'Overall Average', 'Stopped time', etc. fields give meaningful data.

Okay, great, thanks.

Does the eTrex 25/35 have a capacative touchscreen, like the Edge 820 and 1000, or a resistive one, like the Edge 800 and 810? Seems that lots of people have had problems with the 820 touchscreen, especially in the rain or when using gloves, though oddly this doesn't seem to be so much an issue for Edge 1000 users, so maybe depends on the implementation.

Is the eTrex 25/35 touchscreen relatively problem free?
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #27 on: 04 May, 2017, 08:37:46 am »
My shortlist is now...
Oregon 650, Oregon 750, Edge Explore 1000, Edge 1000

A few questions relating to these Oregon 650/750 & Edge 1000 models...
How many data fields can be displayed on the map? (two on edge 1000? how many on Oregon 650/750?)
Can the touch screens be locked/deactivated to prevent accidental interaction (e.g. if placed in pocket)?
What difficuilties am I likely to have using an Edge 1000 for hiking? (assuming I've loaded suitable maps)
Can the Edge 1000 be set to automatically record and save tracks at all times whilst on (i.e. to avoid forgetting to start recording or failing to save the track)?

I usually have 4 data fields displayed on the Etrex 30 map page.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #28 on: 04 May, 2017, 12:38:59 pm »
On my Oregon I have 4 data fields on the map and you can lock the screen.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

dim

« Reply #29 on: 04 May, 2017, 08:13:07 pm »

Okay, great, thanks.

Does the eTrex 25/35 have a capacative touchscreen, like the Edge 820 and 1000, or a resistive one, like the Edge 800 and 810? Seems that lots of people have had problems with the 820 touchscreen, especially in the rain or when using gloves, though oddly this doesn't seem to be so much an issue for Edge 1000 users, so maybe depends on the implementation.

Is the eTrex 25/35 touchscreen relatively problem free?

I have the Edge 1000 and I bought one of these: (Garmin Edge Remote Control):
https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/146078

no more swiping screens when you are cycling at speed.... just press a button to switch screens

I must be honest though, I have hardly used it but my son is one who keeps on swiping screens to check the elevation map etc and I have told him that he can have it

my main screen has been set up to show me everything I need (speed, ave speed, cadence, average cadence, heart beat, distance to next turn, total distance ....

On my next bike, I will set it up with a bit more info (to suit a powermeter and DI2) .... (hoping to buy a Canyon aeroad with powermeter and DI2)
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #30 on: 05 May, 2017, 08:59:08 am »
I like the idea of the remote control, especially with capacitive touch screens (as on the Edge 820 and 1000), which can apparently be flakey in the wet or with gloves...

I may hold out for successor to the Edge 1000 to be released before getting another cycling GPS, though, must be soon, right?

dim

« Reply #31 on: 05 May, 2017, 09:14:55 pm »
I like the idea of the remote control, especially with capacitive touch screens (as on the Edge 820 and 1000), which can apparently be flakey in the wet or with gloves...

I may hold out for successor to the Edge 1000 to be released before getting another cycling GPS, though, must be soon, right?

on the garmin forum, rumour has it that a new model is due for release soon .... I'm a sucker for gadgets and will most likely upgrade if it offers a lot more features which I will like

I'm running version 12.20 and can say that I'm well pleased with the edge 1000 .... I had probs with the unit shutting down at random on the earlier software, but 'touch wood', since loading v12.20 everything works perfectly

there is a newer release of software (version 13), but I will wait until upgrading and check the garmin forum if there are any problems

« Reply #32 on: 05 May, 2017, 09:18:33 pm »

on the garmin forum, rumour has it that a new model is due for release soon .... I'm a sucker for gadgets and will most likely upgrade if it offers a lot more features which I will like

I'm running version 12.20 and can say that I'm well pleased with the edge 1000 .... I had probs with the unit shutting down at random on the earlier software, but 'touch wood', since loading v12.20 everything works perfectly

there is a newer release of software (version 13), but I will wait until upgrading and check the garmin forum if there are any problems

I actually wished Garmin would do a modern unit in a smaller form factor than the 1000, but larger (vertically) than the 820, more like the old 810 (but with a better screen). Not sure the Edge 1000 would fit on my Brompton M-bars easily (fine one my Hewitt Cheviot tourer, though)

dim

« Reply #33 on: 05 May, 2017, 09:23:17 pm »

I actually wished Garmin would do a modern unit in a smaller form factor than the 1000, but larger (vertically) than the 820, more like the old 810 (but with a better screen). Not sure the Edge 1000 would fit on my Brompton M-bars easily (fine one my Hewitt Cheviot tourer, though)

my eyes are old and I needed a big screen .... I also have a Garmin Edge 500 which is way too small and crap for navigation

another problem which I have, is that I cannot read the screens on the egdge 1000 when I wear sunglasses (I have 2 pairs of really good sunglasses) .... I fitted a pair of Oakley Radar sunglasses in Evans  and could not read the screen  :'(

« Reply #34 on: 05 May, 2017, 09:54:57 pm »
My eyes aren't great either (I'm 47...), mostly short-sighted, but the contact lenses I wear to correct this (and my astigmatism) make my long-sightedness worse, so it's harder to read things close to...

321up

• 59° N
« Reply #35 on: 06 May, 2017, 12:21:46 pm »
Regarding eyesight, the best way we have found for C. to navigate from an etrex is to disable the maps, fix the zoom level to the 200m scale and set it to follow a track (i.e. the track is the only thing displayed) - then she justs follows the line.  It's sometimes not obvious which road to take (e.g. complex junctions or where there is a fork in the road), but if she finds herself diverging from the track she can just retrace back to the correct road.  A larger screen would be better but she would probably still need to disable the maps and follow a track.

Phil W

« Reply #36 on: 23 January, 2020, 10:53:25 pm »
I’ve found automotive display mode on the etrex map works best for navigation.