Author Topic: LARS  (Read 7352 times)

LARS
« on: 06 February, 2017, 10:20:45 pm »
Great idea from the ACH guys....a London SR.

Ok, so a bit of licence re the National 400, but with LWL sold out some flexibility is justified.
http://audaxclubhackney.co.uk/lars-award/

Re: LARS
« Reply #1 on: 07 February, 2017, 07:39:39 am »
I like the 600K options ...  :demon:

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #2 on: 07 February, 2017, 08:31:27 am »
shame the flatliner perm isn't an option for the 600. Not everyone coukd get a place on LEL trafalgar trafalgar seems a little extreme.

Realised I was planning or riding 200, 300 and 400 that qualify a 600 would be tempting.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #3 on: 07 February, 2017, 09:06:21 am »
Lovely idea.

Are "example rides" just that or is it the defined list? If it's not a defined list, could we include rides ending in London? I have a 400 ride with AAA which I hope to ECE back to the big smoke to make a 600?

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #4 on: 07 February, 2017, 10:23:46 am »
Nice one, albeit the Great Escape is not run as an AUK event by Islington Cycling Club anymore. It will be a British Cycling reliability ride (https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/157350/The-Great-Escape)
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

« Reply #5 on: 07 February, 2017, 10:37:14 am »
It's not a definitive list of rides in Arrivée, just some examples for reasons of space, but I'll bulk out the list on our website to include everything I believe counts. I'll scrub the Great Escape, didn't realise that was no longer run as an audax.

Keeping it to Calendar rides / Perms this year so don't have to arbitrate on a bunch of GPX files. Will reconsider for next year, what with no LEL, but more tempted to make it points based (15, 20?) rather than a strict SR.

There's an Essex SR if you are doing the flatliner ;-)

“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 07 February, 2017, 10:47:05 am »
I think restricting the types of qualifying rides a bit is a good thing. The award should be somewhat difficult to achieve.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #7 on: 07 February, 2017, 11:19:25 am »
It's a bit unclear from the punctuation if rides starting outside London are included.

Qualify by completing an SR (200, 300, 400 & 600) of calendar or perm events starting in London, organised by or having significant involvement of a London club. Longer distances can be substituted for shorter.

It's quite cheap to get the first train from Euston to Preston on a Saturday morning.

Sat 8th Apr 2017

London Euston (EUS) to Preston (PRE)

EUS
06:05
PRE
08:36
2h 31m
0 changes

Cheapest
VDS,
£27.00

Read more at https://www.thetrainline.com/buytickets/combinedmatrix.aspx?Command=TimeTable#Journey/LONDON%20EUSTON/PRESTON/08/04/17/06/00/Leave After//////Leave After/1/0//#7PrOUR9c8UgeYAkH.99

We could squeeze a few into our humble abode if ACH wanted to organise something around here, starting at Preston station 9am.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #8 on: 07 February, 2017, 12:45:44 pm »
I think restricting the types of qualifying rides a bit is a good thing. The award should be somewhat difficult to achieve.
I have no issues with challenging rides in order to achieve awards but the challenge shouldn't be securing a place on the ride in the first place.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #9 on: 07 February, 2017, 12:47:54 pm »
I didn't realise they were limiting entries to Trafalgar-Trafalgar, I thought it was just MarcusJB doing it.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10 on: 07 February, 2017, 12:48:03 pm »
I don't see a problem with only having a limited opportunity to even attempt a specific award.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #11 on: 07 February, 2017, 01:15:02 pm »
It's quite cheap to get the first train from Euston to Preston on a Saturday morning.

But then they'd never find their way out of Bamber Bridge  :demon:
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #12 on: 07 February, 2017, 03:45:59 pm »
Technical detail aside, this is a really fitting tribute. Thank you for putting it together.

« Reply #13 on: 07 February, 2017, 04:55:49 pm »

But then they'd never find their way out of Bamber Bridge  :demon:

They by-passed Bamber Bridge long ago. The Southport permanents go through Preston, so you can start or end the rides with about 35 flat miles. There are 200, 300, 400 and 600 perms, then there's Sheila' North East 600, Andy Corless' permanents out of Preston, and the Edinburgh Preston Edinburgh.

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #14 on: 07 February, 2017, 05:13:00 pm »
In the long run, the only solution to the difficulties of finding fitting 600s for the award is launching a London-based one  :smug:
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

« Reply #15 on: 07 February, 2017, 05:41:14 pm »
According to LaidBackRich, Kingston Wheelers aim to have a full SR by 2019, in time for PBP qualification. ACH have plans as well, but this is mostly just pub talk at the moment. There is the Beast from the East as well, not sure if Assasin only runs that on PBP years?

« Reply #16 on: 07 February, 2017, 06:02:58 pm »
Kingston Wheelers are planning full SR from 2018, and repeat in 2019 to qualify for PBP, we've even got some dates pencilled into the AUK calendar:

200 Saturday, March 17, 2018
300 Saturday, April 14, 2018
400 Saturday, May 19, 2018
600 Saturday, June 16, 2018

Very busy now behind the scenes trying to get all these ready for your delight  :thumbsup:

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #17 on: 07 February, 2017, 09:39:42 pm »
There's an Essex SR if you are doing the flatliner ;-)

Or LEL  :thumbsup:

On re-reading, to avoid ambiguity, I meant "or there's an Essex SR if you are doing LEL" ... having said that, does LEL count towards the Lars Award?
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #18 on: 07 February, 2017, 09:41:34 pm »
Kingston Wheelers are planning full SR from 2018, and repeat in 2019 to qualify for PBP, we've even got some dates pencilled into the AUK calendar:

200 Saturday, March 17, 2018

Ah, just so you know, that'll probably clash with The Cambridge Pork Pie 200, which has taken up residence on that Saturday the last couple of years  ::-)

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #19 on: 07 February, 2017, 09:43:49 pm »
As for the Award itself I think it's brilliant and very fitting — I'm sure Lars would've been chuffed to bits and first on the line to extend the 200 to 600, or something equally daft  ;)

« Reply #20 on: 07 February, 2017, 09:59:30 pm »
According to LaidBackRich, Kingston Wheelers aim to have a full SR by 2019, in time for PBP qualification. ACH have plans as well, but this is mostly just pub talk at the moment. There is the Beast from the East as well, not sure if Assasin only runs that on PBP years?

Beast from the East is only run during pbp years I think. I had a place on 2015's but was a DNS due to illness. Would be great if the Beast was a perm. This award sounds a great tribute.

« Reply #21 on: 10 October, 2017, 07:13:04 pm »
I've done a bit of scraping of the AUK website (plus Strava stalking to check Arrow start locations), and provisionally make the inaugural LARS Award winners as follows:

Ian BIRD (Cambridge CC): The Shark, The Dean, London Wales London, LEL
Christopher BREED (Audax Club Hackney): The Shark, Greenwich Mean Climb, Easter Arrow, LEL
Stephen BRITT (Westerley CC): AAAnfractuous, The Dean, London Wales London, LEL
Jim COPE (Audax Club Hackney): The Willy Warmer, 3Down, National 400, LEL
Ricki GOODE (Four Corners Audax): National 400, 3Down, London Wales London, LEL
David HAMMOND (Audax UK): The Less Anfractuous, The Dean, London Wales London, LEL
Tom HATTON (Audax Club Hackney): The Shark, Greenwich Mean Climb, Easter Arrow, LEL
Chris HERBERT (Redhill CC): The Willy Warmer, Greenwich Mean Climb, London Wales London, LEL
Mike LANE (Audax Club Bristol): 3Down, The Dean, National 400, LEL
Dave MORRISON (Westerley CC): The Willy Warmer, The Dean, London Wales London, LEL
Agi PALANKI (Audax Club Hackney): The Shark, The Dean, National 400, LEL
Neil SAUTEREAU: Chiltern Chiltern Bang Bang, 3Down, London Wales London, LEL
Chris TILLAPAUGH (Kingston Whs): The Shark, The Dean, Easter Arrow, LEL
John WILTON (Leicester Forest CC): National 400, The Dean, London Wales London, LEL
Andy YATES (Audax Club Hackney): The Shark, Greenwich Mean Climb, National 400, LEL
Adam YOUNG (Audax Club Hackney): The London Ditchling Devil, Greenwich Mean Climb, National 400, LEL

Congratulations to all of you - we'll be awarding these at the ACH Winter Ball so all welcome, and I'll try and follow up those that can't make it with what ever we decide to award!

Thinking of changing the qualifying requirements for next year and making it a straight 15+ points of London rides (to set it apart from Kingston Wheelers SR), but will discuss this at the ACH reunion - excluding LEL and the N400, I only make it 3 people who would have qualified for that this year, so seems suitably challenging.

« Reply #22 on: 11 October, 2017, 09:40:18 am »
Can I have a Dunwich Dynamo & back (https://www.strava.com/activities/1075453739 — validated as a diy 300) as my 300? That's pretty London eh? It even starts in Hackney.

If so, put me on the list  :thumbsup:

« Reply #23 on: 11 October, 2017, 10:08:48 am »
Hi Ivan, thanks for including me for this inaugural award. I think Sarah Perkins should also qualify to be on it, she did the Ditchling Devil perm twice as well as the Boat Ride (200km perm starting from Uxbridge), The Dean, 3Down, Easter Arrow from Kingston and LEL.

If you fancy a bit more Strava stalking, you could also include the Merdian Hills (starting near Orpington) and Around Weald Expedition (starting at New Addlington) to your list of qualifying perms. 

« Reply #24 on: 11 October, 2017, 01:26:36 pm »
Yes, Sarah should definitely qualify, not sure how I missed her in the list of LEL finishers, will need to check that when I get home in case there are others that I failed to pick up.