Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 476618 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #4025 on: 15 July, 2022, 11:43:43 pm »
An infrequent rider at my local cycling group has a pair of titanium knees...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4026 on: 19 July, 2022, 02:10:55 pm »
Had a gastroscopy today. Under anaesthetic it was a doddle. Immediate results good, now awaiting results of any biopsies (gastro didn't mention taking any samples but she probably did). Judging from the pain I now have swallowing, though, I reckon she used a wire brush to do it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4027 on: 20 July, 2022, 10:11:51 am »
Utterly knackered today, as if I'd done 200k yesterday instead of snoozing in a hospital.  ???

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4028 on: 20 July, 2022, 03:23:33 pm »
People often feel hammered for a few days after a general anaesthetic.

You are not 'asleep'; you are POISONED with sub-lethal doses of dangerous drugs! It takes a while to eliminate the poisons and recover from the effects.

The language we use about anaesthetics is far too soft and cuddly...

« Reply #4029 on: 20 July, 2022, 06:01:15 pm »

People often feel hammered for a few days after a general anaesthetic.

You are not 'asleep'; you are POISONED with sub-lethal doses of dangerous drugs! It takes a while to eliminate the poisons and recover from the effects.

The language we use about anaesthetics is far too soft and cuddly...
I was poisoned yesterday with a radiation injection of some sort prior to having a whole body scan
This was to determine if the prostate cancer has spread to any other parts of my body. I was told
the dose would dissipate after about 24 hours.

« Reply #4030 on: 21 July, 2022, 03:16:32 pm »
Ive booked my 'flu jab for this year.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4031 on: 21 July, 2022, 09:34:16 pm »
Here's a very random one.

My sis-in-law recently went to Sweden to visit her twin sister, who normally lives in Oslo. The twin had had a sore throat and a very husky voice for quite some time and had seen a number of medical professionals who had been largely mystified by her condition.

However, now it seems that the medical consensus amongst those who have examined her is that her condition is due to having spent the first 23 years or so of her life speaking English, and the next 51 mostly speaking Norwegian.

I wonder if our resident medical professionals and linguists would care to comment on such a thing. I have to say that I find it quite surprising. My brother, certainly neither a medical professional nor a linguist, described it as "bollocks".
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4032 on: 22 July, 2022, 12:43:54 am »
My Mum had a LOT of tonsillitis until she was middle-age but little since.
She spent the first 20 years of her life speaking German, Swedish and Danish (mostly Danish, which is rather similar to Norwegian).
She has spent the next 66 years of her life speaking mostly English.
I have not observed hoarse ness or trouble phonation.

Mum's sister's is quite deep. She moved from Copenhagen to Manchester around 1968.

I don't really buy this story...

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #4033 on: 22 July, 2022, 06:21:07 am »
When I moved to Germany I got jaw ache as speaking German is physically different. My German speaking voice is lower too.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4034 on: 22 July, 2022, 09:53:52 am »
Surely if speaking first one language then another were to cause a sore throat (perhaps because of differences in the way the vocal chords or tongue are used?), then this would occur shortly after switching. A delay of 51 years seems extremely far fetched.

My German speaking voice is lower too.
I've observed this in myself (not with German). I think the reasons might be as much psychological as anatomical.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4035 on: 22 July, 2022, 01:03:33 pm »
Somewhere barakta has a frequency plot of different sounds in different languages.  It's certainly true that some languages are easier than others for a given hearing impairment, due to different frequencies conveying more information.

I also note that my English speech has evolved over time to hit barakta's better frequencies.  It's probably why I've lost any trace of Norn Iron vowels, which are guaranteed to confuse her.

51 years seems like a long time to wait for a sore throat, thobut.

« Reply #4036 on: 22 July, 2022, 02:31:57 pm »
I've had a persistent cough/itchy throat for about 10 years. All the usual scans, allergy tests etc drew a blank. Eventually a consulant asked me if I had had whooping cough as a child. Well yes, according to my late Mum I had it rather badly and was treated with what was probably an early form of antibiotic. (This would be late 1940s/ early 50s). Consultant said he was beginning to see a lot of folks of my generation who suffered damage to the bronchioles due to whooping cough in infancy, but it didn't show up as a problem until they were older and lung function was decreasing naturally. Apparently the damage did show up on a CT scan but not bad enough to diagnosed as bronchiectasis.
I was prescribed a proton pump inhibitor which might improve things, but they destroyed my innards, and I decided I'd rather put up with the cough.
I dont annoy my husband too much as he has very poor hearing.....

« Reply #4037 on: 22 July, 2022, 02:46:50 pm »
What I actually logged in to ask about is cataract surgery. I'm sure it must have been discussed here, but searching hasn't found anything.
I need surgery on both eyes, first followed asap by the second.
Obviously what I want to know is when can I resume cycling. The blurb says not be running, gardening, heavy lifting etc for 4 weeks, but the clinician didn't seem too sure about cycling.
There is nowhere flat around here, so all cycling tends to be "strenuous".
Any experiences/advice will be valued.
Thanks

« Reply #4038 on: 22 July, 2022, 05:47:21 pm »
From that lift of activities, I suspect they don't want you to do anything that makes BP shoot up.

(image of blood squirting out of eyeballs)

So I think strenuous cycling, such as hill climbing, would be ruled out.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4039 on: 22 July, 2022, 09:29:53 pm »
Thanks

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4040 on: 23 July, 2022, 07:29:29 am »
After my last cataract op I was off the bike for 2 weeks. First ride afterwards was a relatively gentle 60 km with 450 metres of climbing, thereafter I left three days to see if anything developed then went back to business as usual.

« Reply #4041 on: 23 July, 2022, 07:46:13 am »
I had both eyes done in Oct 2019. I had been chronically shortsighted since primary school and had developed cataracts in both eyes with the left being worse than the right. The issue you have to deal with is called anisometropy, effectively a gross difference between the prescription in 1 eye vs the other. After the first op, my left eye was restored from -9 to about -1.5 whilst the right carried on as before (-8.5) and in my case the visual disturbance was significant,  no way i could drive (or ride) for example and even walking was comedy. Second op on the right eye was done a week later, again restoring the prescription to about -1.5. I was told no exertion during the recovery period, including bending, heavy lifting or any form of exercise. I think i took about 3 weeks off and everything has been fine since, although i have now developed posterior vitreous detachment so another challenge to overcome.

No regrets and i would take the same actions without hesitation.

Good luck

A

« Reply #4042 on: 23 July, 2022, 10:00:17 am »
If ever you go for a biopsy on your prostate watch out for the long needle that injects the anaesthetic! It's about 4 inches long! It made me scream as it was pushed inside me! Having the surgeons take the samples wasn't too bad. My first pee after the procedure was the colour of a dark red wine. I'm a bit tender below, so no riding for a few days.
I'm surprised they didn't offer you a local anaesthetic from that description.
They did, but it still F****** hurt.
(I know the thread moved on, but this is germaine as this point).
I elected to have a template biopsy - after lots of tests and an MRI, I was graded 3 on the Pirads scale (with a normal PSA and no family history, but a shady area on the MRI) - this is 'equivocal' (ambiguous) and I was given the choice of do nothing or have a template biopsy for a definitive result. What they didn't tell me was how painful it would be!
I had two of those 4 inchers (I couldn't see anything and was being quietly held down by a chatty nurse) - the first hurt like hell and I thought ok, done, and then the surgeon said here's the next one. Then the very large dildo/ultrasound probe inserted - lots of lube, said the surgeon - yikes, sharp intake of breath. The biopsy itself then comprised firing 20 needles one by one to collect samples. Each one sounded like a gun going off (which in effect it was). Some hurt more than others, after 15 or so I reckon the anaesthetic was wearing off and the chatty nurse was doing her best to distract me when I had to say this is really hurting now. They somehow map the MRI with the ultrasound scan to accurately target the needles, all very clever, but a bit more patient comfort wouldn't have gone amiss. The bruising over the next few days was something else. Result two weeks later was all clear, they didn't need to see me again. I was peeing blood for about 6-8 weeks which I was told was normal. Presumably some of the needles passed through the urethra. The prostate really is a crap piece of design.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4043 on: 23 July, 2022, 03:25:24 pm »
Just read this^^^^ without looking at the quoted text and thought "this is a bloody funny way to operate on cataracts".

« Reply #4044 on: 23 July, 2022, 05:31:23 pm »
Duckfoot and T42:
Thanks to both of you
Duckfoot - I hope you getyour eye problem resolved as well

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4045 on: 27 July, 2022, 10:45:04 am »
Chez le GP yesterday and he mentioned in passing that my recent gastroscopy hadn't turned up any cancer.  Had a bun to celebrate.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4046 on: 27 July, 2022, 11:24:37 am »
 :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4047 on: 27 July, 2022, 09:32:35 pm »
Attempted to straighten a bent tent peg this pm. Instead of bending the peg just snapped. This sent me flying backwards onto some gardening tools. Unfortunately I grabbed the bow saw blade. After 3 hrs in A&E I am back home with dressing, steri-strips used for the deepest cut, and told not to get it wet for a week.

Sent from my moto g(50) using Tapatalk

« Reply #4048 on: 27 July, 2022, 10:14:46 pm »
T42, that is good news.

campagman - the f div thread is that away -->

Hope you didn't slice anything too bad, like tendons.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4049 on: 08 August, 2022, 10:48:43 am »
Another one that belongs on the feckulous div thread as well:

A week ago, after clearing a month's growth of nettles, elder etc. from around our fallen barn door and putting the brush-cutter away, MrsT says "what about that?" and points at a sturdy stem standing a statute mile well no, a foot, out of the ground. "Later," sez I, and sure enough around three hours later I caught it with my foot and went flat, wham.  Got up, poked around body, knees a bit scuffed, sore ribs on one side but no jaggy pains. "All ok," sez I.

3-4 days later the sore ribs are still sore, and occasionally something goes click when I take a deep breath. But it's not every time, it's not a sharp pain and it doesn't always click in the same place, so who's worrying?

Did 146 km on Saturday. Had to take paracetamol at 30k but thereafter all was well.

Ribs hurt like hell yesterday.

Seeing GP this afternoon to get a prescription for an X-ray.