Author Topic: First outside ride in 18 years  (Read 4111 times)

Martin 14

• People too weak to follow their own dreams, will a
First outside ride in 18 years
« on: 20 July, 2018, 01:58:34 pm »
Having finished building the Ribble, I today finally took it out of the trainer and into the real world for first short ride. It feels so twitchy compared to the mountain bikes I have ridden in the past ( This is the first time I have had a road bike ) so I put that down to my inexperience. I also found myself using all of the gears, maybe a 13-26 cassette is too much for my 64 years! Last but not least a question, will fitting 25 x 700 tyres make any difference to the handing?

Thanks in advance

Martin
People too weak to follow their own dreams, will always find a way to discourage yours

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: First outside ride in 18 years
« Reply #1 on: 20 July, 2018, 02:15:42 pm »
What tyres have you got on there at the moment? I think pretty much any road bike is going to feel twitchy initially compared to a mountain bike – give it a bit of time and you'll get used to it. And – go Martin!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Nick H.

« Reply #2 on: 20 July, 2018, 02:33:22 pm »
Yeah, go Martin! This is inspiring. I'm 56 and haven't ridden my bike for 8 years.

Martin 14

« Reply #3 on: 20 July, 2018, 02:40:29 pm »
What tyres have you got on there at the moment? I think pretty much any road bike is going to feel twitchy initially compared to a mountain bike – give it a bit of time and you'll get used to it. And – go Martin!

23 x 700....and thank you :)
People too weak to follow their own dreams, will always find a way to discourage yours

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 20 July, 2018, 02:41:52 pm »
Sounds good. But yeah, a 26T biggest sprocket is a bit of a ligament-buster unless you've got a very small chainring.  I ran 30/27 until 2015, now I'm on 34/32.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 20 July, 2018, 06:06:51 pm »
If your background is mountain biking, then you're used to having sensible bottom gears.  Like road bikes don't usually have.

Martin 14

« Reply #6 on: 20 July, 2018, 06:41:03 pm »
If your background is mountain biking, then you're used to having sensible bottom gears.  Like road bikes don't usually have.

Yes use to race them back in the 80s,....guess I'll just have to harden up :)