Author Topic: I bought half a pig !  (Read 1448 times)

I bought half a pig !
« on: 09 March, 2009, 12:14:22 am »
It was delivered yesterday. All cut into joints and vac sealed. Even got loads of sausages. A friend has been raising old fashioned pigs on his paddock and it was time to kill some so we went halves with another friend. There wasn't as much as I had anticipated as these old breeds are a lot smaller than than modern farmed pigs. You should see the amount of fat on the chops and joints though. It's a good 3/4 of an inch thick, they look nothing like the stuff you get from supermarkets. We had a free sample of a couple of chops and a joint from the last cull he did and it was fantastic. So we now have enough pork to keep us going for at least six months and the freezer is very full. I might have to see him about some bacon though as apparently he has found someone who does traditional curing ....
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: I bought half a pig !
« Reply #1 on: 09 March, 2009, 01:15:21 pm »
Did you get the front half or the back half?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #2 on: 09 March, 2009, 01:47:21 pm »
The left half :)

LEE

« Reply #3 on: 11 March, 2009, 05:20:12 pm »
If you get the bottom half you can use it as an edible coffee-table

« Reply #4 on: 11 March, 2009, 05:29:13 pm »
fantastic!  We alternate between getting half a pig from my stepdad and half a sheep from my dad, freezer is currently mainly pork ;D

If anyone else (near Cambridge) wants a smaller chunk of pig, PM me and I'll give you my stepfathers number.. The ham, sausages and bacon he sells from his farm are incredibly good.

« Reply #5 on: 12 March, 2009, 10:17:40 am »
fantastic!  We alternate between getting half a pig from my stepdad and half a sheep from my dad, freezer is currently mainly pork ;D

If anyone else (near Cambridge) wants a smaller chunk of pig, PM me and I'll give you my stepfathers number.. The ham, sausages and bacon he sells from his farm are incredibly good.
I would love to get lamb too but I am the only one who eats lamb in our household so that's not going to happen. Have had some of the sausages and they were lovely. Belly pork tonight I think. Mmmm crackling.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #6 on: 12 March, 2009, 10:27:34 am »
Have you been tempted to reassemble your pigbits into frankenhog's monster?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #7 on: 12 March, 2009, 01:39:26 pm »
All vac packed so not really. Pcolbeck junior would have enjoyed that though, he'd have had it on Youtube in a flash :)

« Reply #8 on: 22 March, 2009, 11:50:47 am »
Had a roast joint last night with the full works. Home made apple sauce etc. Spectacular. Even the kids thought it was brilliant and pinched most of the crackling.