Author Topic: New GPS Model  (Read 1311 times)

New GPS Model
« on: 19 March, 2015, 11:23:00 am »
saw this today on cycling news

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lezyne-launches-gps-cycling-computers

Not sure it would be enough to jettison my Etrex 30

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Re: New GPS Model
« Reply #1 on: 19 March, 2015, 12:33:31 pm »
They're not really trying to compete with the Etrex range though, to be fair. They seem to be aimed squarely at the (IMO overpriced) lower-end of the Edge range, and with Lezyne already in a lot of bike shops it might be a healthy bit of competition for Garmin.

Personally I don't see the point of a GPS unit without a map, but on the other hand the Etrexes are a bit housebrick-esque. If you're a weight weenie and all you're after is a speed/distance display and a "Strava or it didn't happen" logger these could be a nice choice.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 19 March, 2015, 01:07:54 pm »
Personally I don't see the point of a GPS unit without a map, but on the other hand the Etrexes are a bit housebrick-esque. If you're a weight weenie and all you're after is a speed/distance display and a "Strava or it didn't happen" logger these could be a nice choice.
I'm definitely not a weight weenie, but 90% of my cycling is on familiar roads, so no need for any mapping or navigation. My main use for a GPS is just displaying speed/distance/time (plus heart rate/cadence), and recording a tracklog.
So something like this Lezyne GPS would do nicely, the Mini version looks rather neat. Though annoyingly, only the most expensive model supports ANT+.
And good to see it records in FIT format, and works as USB mass storage. Unlike the Cateye Stealth, which forces you to use their own software.

Could also be useful in addition to a bigger GPS. eg you could use an Etrex to display a map, while you have one of these to display speed/distance.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 19 March, 2015, 02:31:34 pm »
It's appealing to my weight weenie tendencies.  Personally, I want auto-routing from a GPS.  I could live with just turn-by-turn instructions if they were reliable, but I'd want a map to convince me they're reliable!  You can see a map on your phone, but that's hardly convenient, especially if you frequently go off route.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●