Author Topic: old etrex hcx not showing map detail  (Read 1420 times)

old etrex hcx not showing map detail
« on: 21 March, 2015, 11:43:23 pm »
Needed to download some gpx info for ride tomorrow but due to pc config changes had lost old Garmin config data. Deleted old maps, reinstalled base camp, downloaded and installed 3 different osm maps to the micro sd. (deleting the old one each time). The handset will not show fine detail at max res i.e. when zooming in I just get lines of main routes etc. Any ideas? Is this a Doh moment?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: old etrex hcx not showing map detail
« Reply #1 on: 21 March, 2015, 11:59:21 pm »
Sounds like you're just seeing the basemap.

Have a look in the select map menu, see if the OSM maps appear there and are enabled (and possibly the basemap disabled).

Maps need to be in a single file named "garmin/gmapsupp.img" on the SD card for an older eTrex.

« Reply #2 on: 22 March, 2015, 12:13:28 am »
How do you explicitly delete old maps? I've been getting maps not loading, although it was fine today in an area in which I ride often.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #3 on: 24 March, 2015, 02:18:16 pm »
The handset will not show fine detail at max res i.e. when zooming in I just get lines of main routes etc. Any ideas?

Remove and reseat mSD card.  Often fixes it.
Check    Menu>Menu>Setup>Maps>[4th tab across]>Menu>'Show All'  (ie, display all available mapping)
Check    Menu>Menu>Setup>Maps>[1st tab]>Detail 'Show More'  (ie, show 'more' detail - 'most' is OTT I find)

Failing that, and assuming that the map is correctly located at [card]\Garmin\gmapsupp.img
Suspect a corrupt map file, it does happen.
Failing that, try a Full Reset of the Etrex Full Reset (but this means going through all your settings again after the reset so it's definitely a last resort).

(NB in the above shorthand, Menu means 'press L-H button' )

when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #4 on: 24 March, 2015, 05:33:10 pm »
Was the talkytoaster map with contours download here http://talkytoaster.co.uk/maps/. I tried it three times.  Reverted back to an alternative site, older OSM map, which is just fine. Clearly something which does not agree with my old HCx.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain