Author Topic: Please would someone tell me what GPS to get?  (Read 6557 times)

Please would someone tell me what GPS to get?
« on: 22 April, 2015, 08:47:42 am »
As my going fast days are over (see health posts) am returning back to audax and touring of my youth. The Enigma now has mudguards and carrier and appropriate gearing inc 34 rear sprocket and the SRM has been removed.
Need HR (health reasons not to try to see how high I can get it)
Want maps.
Have been known to throw misbehaving IT kit at walls.

Ideas ?

Thanks
Old fat and slow

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Please would someone tell me what GPS to get?
« Reply #1 on: 22 April, 2015, 08:50:37 am »
Garmin eTrex 30.

Then you need to decide on maps and a means of devising routes.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #2 on: 22 April, 2015, 08:52:18 am »
If you want maps, look for the biggest screen available. I have a Garmin Edge 800 and being able to see the maps whilst riding is near impossible.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #3 on: 22 April, 2015, 08:52:59 am »
Etrex 30

« Reply #4 on: 22 April, 2015, 08:54:59 am »
Garmin Edge Touring Plus. But if you want to be spendy Edge 1000.

« Reply #5 on: 22 April, 2015, 08:57:50 am »
Buy a Garmin eTrex 30 and stand an old matress against the wall.  ;)

You'll get good service from the eTrex 30 most of the time if you do regular housekeeping and keep Waypoints, Routes and Maps to a minimum.

Maps.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download

This will be my next. Unless Garmin are on eTrex 80 by time I need something.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6 on: 22 April, 2015, 09:09:12 am »
I've never used the Edge models but plenty have so I'm sure they are wonderful. I like eTrexs as they don't have an internal battery but use two AA cells instead.  It's easy to carry or buy spares. I have just started powering mine off my dynohub front light which has a USB output.

The E30 also supports a HRM. I have one on order so have no experience of how that side of things work just yet.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #7 on: 22 April, 2015, 09:10:04 am »
1.  Get a Garmin.  Even if you are a natural lone wolf (aka Linux user) rather than a sheep (aka Win user) I would still say get a Garmin, because other makes tend to arrive set up in a country-specific way, whereas Garmins in combination with free OpenStreet mapping work equally well all over the cycleable world - as a GPS jolly well should.

Want maps.
Have been known to throw misbehaving IT kit at walls.

Maps on a GPS are always a disappointment.  Don't expect too much, in fact don't expect much at all, on a 2x1 screen.  Fortunately Garmins are very robust and will stand the odd impact.

2.  Make a fundamental choice between Garmin's cycle-specific 'Edge' range, and their various models that are primarily aimed at walkers, notably the Etrex and Oregon models. (Handlebar mounts are available for these types.)
The Edges are small and neat on the bars, and include some training aids, but are very much set up as 'day ride' devices with a limited run time of around 9 hours before they need to be recharged.  They can be powered externally for extended rides but of course that totally destroys the 'small and neat' which IMO is the main part of their attractiveness. They are also somewhat slanted towards people who live in the 'connected world'.
The walkers models all run off 2xAAs, easily replacable in moments, and personally I find that makes much more sense.  This tends to make them look and feel brick-like, but actually if you place an Etrex 30 and Edge 810 side by side there is not a lot of difference in size and shape.  They are to some extent the old-skule option.

3.  Other fundamental choices are between 'touch screen' and 'buttons' and between 'big screen' and 'small box'.  Garmin has models that fit all these combinations.  The Oregon for example is 'big screen' and 'touch screen' - the Etrex 30 which has already been mentioned upthread, is 'small box' and 'buttons', the Edge 810 is 'small box' and 'touch screen'.  Bearing in mind that these touch screens are definitely not tactile marvels like the iPhone!
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8 on: 22 April, 2015, 09:18:55 am »
Whatever you get find frankly frankie's set up guides on the web and follow them to the letter. It will save you a lot of time and frustration.

The world of GPS is a bit confusing to begin with but you'll soon find what works for you. Be aware that if you asked the same question to 10 experienced GPS users you'd get 10 different answers which would all be correct as there are so many options. But once you have cut through the confusion you'll never look back.

Good luck!

« Reply #9 on: 22 April, 2015, 09:22:00 am »
devices with a limited run time of around 9 hours before they need to be recharged.
A bit pessimistic there FF! Even my Original Edge 205 ran for 12 hours. My 605 for 15 and my Touring runs for 17 hours.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #10 on: 22 April, 2015, 09:25:01 am »
My Edge 800 I get jittery after about 9 hours - depends how you use it.

I have discovered that if I accidentally forget to switch it off and leave it in the garage atop my bike doing nothing then it will indeed last the much advertised 15 hour.
If I have it on turn by turn directions as I like to on an audax that is when the drop in lifetime comes down.  I've never had it last a 200 without needing topping up (albeit lightly).
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #11 on: 22 April, 2015, 09:25:18 am »
OK I sit corrected.  Maybe I'm getting my impressions from users of the newer touch-screen models.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #12 on: 22 April, 2015, 10:12:57 am »
Other questions that might be asked.

Can I create Waypoints on the unit?
Can I create a Route on the unit without connecting it to a computer?
Does the Autorouting take me to the next Waypoint, or to the closest Waypoint?
Can I connect and disconnect a USB powerpack confidently without the log file being stopped?

« Reply #13 on: 22 April, 2015, 10:28:48 am »
If someone can't be bothered with setting up routes, what's the best GPS for simply knowing where you are and finding your way to where you want to go (by using the on screen map) ?

Apologies for mild hi-jack.
Rust never sleeps

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #14 on: 22 April, 2015, 10:32:02 am »
Find an old, cheap Edge 800. Garmin finally have them working! The screen is fine and it supports loads of custom screens and stats etc. For longer rides it will also happily charge off a battery pack whilst in use with the correct USB lead.

« Reply #15 on: 22 April, 2015, 10:37:00 am »
The key question is IMO are you going to be looking at the map whilst riding or when stopped?   This might sound dumb as a question but with my sight I need a gps system that does turn by turn navigation like an in-car sat nav rather than something I have to try and read when the led screen is overpowered by daylight.

I appreciate that my needs are not yours.  :)

I'm acquiring an Edge 200 to use as a large bike computer and a strava recording device.   

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #16 on: 22 April, 2015, 10:37:26 am »
If someone can't be bothered with setting up routes, what's the best GPS for simply knowing where you are and finding your way to where you want to go (by using the on screen map) ?

I have an Edge 500... doesn't do maps but navigates with way points, if I get lost I just turn on my iphone and open Navmil

« Reply #17 on: 22 April, 2015, 10:49:20 am »
Etrex probably offers best VFM. (Edit missed the HR monitor requirement doh!)
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: 22 April, 2015, 11:01:50 am »
Caveat - I haven't tried anything other than an Edge 705.  But even if the screen display on that were 2 or three times larger, I don't think "on the fly" navigation using it would work, even at sedate cycling speeds. Just too much going on too quickly. Different if you're walking perhaps, which is what the Etrex and Oregon were designed for. However, for "static" viewing of maps then the larger screened Edge (800 or 1000) or Etrex would be fine. But as has been said, then you could us a smartphone app - even Google maps, for a short period of orientation.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #19 on: 22 April, 2015, 11:04:02 am »

'Point and shoot'. That's a SatNav.

IIRC, eTrex Legend did it ( to a fashion cus Garmin maps were out of date when they were new ).

« Reply #20 on: 22 April, 2015, 11:07:21 am »
Doesn't the OP primarily need a GPS that links with a Heart Monitor?

So actually one of the cycle computer systems might be more suitable?

Ningi, I used a GPS as a replacement for a computer for ages. I would never ever like to plan a route on one. the screen is just far far too small. Even my smartphone is frustrating.

Since my GPS failed I went back to using paper maps and found it much more enjoyable. Caveat being that the GPS was useful at night.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #21 on: 22 April, 2015, 11:29:25 am »
I have an Edge 500 and an Etrex 20.  I got the Etrex first, for navigation on tour, and then got the Edge for training purposes - recording heart rate and speed  - with the option for basic navigation.  Were I buying a new device now, I'd look seriously at the Edge Touring as this appears to fulfil both criteria; it could be just what you need.  AA batteries are useful if you're in the back of beyond without the option to USB charge at night, but they lose the plug-n-play convenience that facilitates daily use.  Unless you're doing non-stop multi-day rides, an Edge battery should last you - and if you've got a dynamo, you can charge off that.  Admittedly, the touch screens will be more battery-heavy than my push-button 500. 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 22 April, 2015, 12:47:53 pm »

'Point and shoot'. That's a SatNav.

IIRC, eTrex Legend did it ( to a fashion cus Garmin maps were out of date when they were new ).

The eTrex 20/30 will also do it.  With the disclaimer that it doesn't really have a very good idea about cycling, so depending on what mapping and routing options you select, expect it to either  a) find a route that makes sense in a car   or  b) send you down random bridleways and Sustrans paths.

It works well enough for "get me to the nearest railway station" and for me not to feel the need for another device when I hire a motor vehicle, though.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #23 on: 22 April, 2015, 03:47:01 pm »
What an eTrex does depends what info you put in it.  If you were to use BaseCamp, sprinkle enough strategically placed waypoints about the place then use the routing tool to join all the waypoints up your Garmin will do as its told. They only do their own thing if there is too big a gap between waypoints and the Garmin sees this as a license to go all creative on you. This doesn't always end well.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #24 on: 22 April, 2015, 04:22:10 pm »
Doesn't the OP primarily need a GPS that links with a Heart Monitor?

So actually one of the cycle computer systems might be more suitable?

No. "Want maps" is the clue!

I use an Edge 800 and had a 705 before that. Both did the job perfectly well with OSM maps. OS maps on the 800 aren't very good because they don't scale well. Navigation works fine, though I don't use turn-by-turn, just a line on the map. A smartphone on a suitable mount would give you a better, if shorter-lasting, display, and many apps will pair with a BT HR strap. An app that uses downloaded, rather than streamed, maps would obviously be preferable!