Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3010730 times)

Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #25525 on: 19 September, 2020, 11:37:36 am »
Some of them go to Autres Directions. Occasionally you see both varieties of sign side by side.

I sometime have a hard time to figure out whether the place I want to go to is in Toutes Directions or in Autres Directions.

A

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #25526 on: 19 September, 2020, 11:44:21 am »
Giraffe reminds me of the time I spent cycle camping in the Brecon area.  Although I saw many signs to Honddu, I never came across it.

Edited to add tip.
If you're ever near Brecon and you fancy splashing out on one night's B&B for a bit of a clean up, make sure that it's not the week of the Brecon jazz festival.
No. No rooms. Get back under your hedge you smelly cyclist.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #25527 on: 19 September, 2020, 03:52:58 pm »
Some of them go to Autres Directions. Occasionally you see both varieties of sign side by side.

I sometime have a hard time to figure out whether the place I want to go to is in Toutes Directions or in Autres Directions.

A

No point in checking in Google Streetview, they've blurred them both to protect the privacy of the Directions family.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #25528 on: 19 September, 2020, 04:31:27 pm »
No point in checking in Google Streetview, they've blurred them both to protect the privacy of the Directions family.

;D ;D

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #25529 on: 19 September, 2020, 04:33:52 pm »

A

On a slightly different tack, but picking up on the "Directions family"   - on the A40 between Burford and Cheltenham there's a wonderful signpost that points to :  The Barringtos and the Rissingtons 

It's a collection of Cotswold villages with the usual Upper/Lower etc prefix - years ago I used to drive from home in N Essex to Cheltenham to work every Monday morning and it always made me smile - when I moved to live near Cheltenham whenever I drove back from London/Oxford etc it was the "almost home" sign.  Ah, nostalgia.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #25530 on: 19 September, 2020, 06:20:46 pm »
On a slightly different tack, but picking up on the "Directions family"   - on the A40 between Burford and Cheltenham there's a wonderful signpost that points to :  The Barringtos and the Rissingtons 

Also 'The Slaughters', where one should bring one's daughters.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

robgul

« Reply #25531 on: 19 September, 2020, 08:24:59 pm »

Ah, You're looking Swell    (Upper or Lower)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #25532 on: 19 September, 2020, 10:05:12 pm »

They'll get Upper Swell as they mature...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #25533 on: 20 September, 2020, 10:08:35 am »
I went to school in Burford, and learned to fly gliders in the air cadets at Little Rissington
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #25534 on: 20 September, 2020, 10:34:38 am »
We had a letter informing us our Guardian & Observer subscription was increasing. From £43 a month to £53! Sadly my wife is old school and desires a daily physical newspaper.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #25536 on: 21 September, 2020, 12:03:34 am »
We were disappointed that the biggest hotel of the town appeared to be some kind of local government administration building.
It is simpler than it looks.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #25537 on: 21 September, 2020, 05:59:37 am »
We were disappointed that the biggest hotel of the town appeared to be some kind of local government administration building.

;D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #25538 on: 21 September, 2020, 08:29:26 am »
RIP Mr Gore-TEX

:'(  Good bloke. Kept me dry on many occasions.  And after my 2009 holiday in Italy, he's keeping at least one Italian dry as well.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #25539 on: 21 September, 2020, 11:52:05 am »
I’d like to party like it’s 1999. Again.

1999? Weren't you terrified like the rest of us?

Not me, I didn't have a computer back then. Which makes it also quite a good year to go back to. 2000 was even better.

How do you know you didn't have a computer? ISTR that even back then many devices had susceptible hardware and unsuspecting owners.

I kept all the government advice somewhere, should be able to check that.
Nothing whatsoever to do with coronavirus and also totally different from the original point of that^, hence here not in that thread, but it makes a perhaps interesting digression. Casting my mind back to 1999/2000, I can only think of three or four electronic devices I personally owned. I had an LCD alarm clock, bike lights – LED rear, the front was halogen but I'm sure it had some sort of electronics for voltage regulation or similar, and a cycle computer. And I'm not sure about the last, I might have only bought it a few years later. A couple of years earlier it would have been a longer list as then I had a car, which presumably (I can't remember) had electronic ignition and definitely had a radio-cassette player. Obviously there were a lot of other electronic devices I used or came into contact with but none I personally owned. Now, of course, it's a list as long as a giraffe's neck with multiples of most items (bike lights are probably still the top item!).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #25540 on: 21 September, 2020, 01:36:55 pm »
I went to school in Burford, and learned to fly gliders in the air cadets at Little Rissington
I thought all the RAF stuff was Upper Rissington?
(My cousins live in Lt Rissington.  As did, iirc, another cousin's hubby's mum, thus unrelated)
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

ElyDave

« Reply #25541 on: 21 September, 2020, 04:12:18 pm »
It was definitely RAF Little Rissington, actually occupied by the US forces as a storage base I believe, but limited use back then by the air cadets for gliding, stopped not much later.

Geographically may have been closer to Great Rissington of course, much like RAF Brize Norton is actually closer to Carterton (which in the days of crackly radio sounded too much like Cardington).  Or are you thinking of RAF Upper Heyford, another US base?

robgul

« Reply #25542 on: 21 September, 2020, 09:24:01 pm »
It was definitely RAF Little Rissington, actually occupied by the US forces as a storage base I believe, but limited use back then by the air cadets for gliding, stopped not much later.

Geographically may have been closer to Great Rissington of course, much like RAF Brize Norton is actually closer to Carterton (which in the days of crackly radio sounded too much like Cardington).  Or are you thinking of RAF Upper Heyford, another US base?

Isn't there a "ready for action" US Air Force Hospital at one of the Rissingtons?

IIRC last time I cycled through the Rissingtons there was a lot of new house-building on what was probably ex-military land.

robgul

« Reply #25543 on: 21 September, 2020, 09:28:01 pm »

Was that the school on the main road? - was a Mr Sanders the Head when you were there??    - he moved there from the Cotswold School at Bourton on the Water, where my eldest daughter was educated.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #25544 on: 22 September, 2020, 11:06:39 am »
I suppose I’d better get on the road to Leeds before they announce the lock down <fx:hollow laugh>

A supply run for things ms B the younger forgot to pack when she moved up,that two weeks ago. I’m sure it won’t be the last.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ElyDave

« Reply #25545 on: 22 September, 2020, 12:39:01 pm »

Was that the school on the main road? - was a Mr Sanders the Head when you were there??    - he moved there from the Cotswold School at Bourton on the Water, where my eldest daughter was educated.

That's the one I was there in the very early 90's for A-levels, though I can't for the life of me think of the name of the head. I can picture the head of 6th form though, but not remember his name.

robgul

« Reply #25546 on: 22 September, 2020, 03:43:33 pm »

It probably was Patrick Sanders - he must have gone there in 91/92.

That's the one I was there in the very early 90's for A-levels, though I can't for the life of me think of the name of the head. I can picture the head of 6th form though, but not remember his name.

ElyDave

« Reply #25547 on: 22 September, 2020, 05:08:29 pm »
Sanders or Sanderson? Kind of rings a bell as head of 6th Form

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #25548 on: 26 September, 2020, 07:33:59 pm »
I have spent the day helping my son and his partner move into their new home in the town he grew up in, which we find surprising given the noise he used to make about living here  :D

More importantly, I’ve spent the day helping my son and his partner move OUT from our home where they’ve been staying since they moved away from London and while there new home was being decorated.  ;D

It’s ever so quite here.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #25549 on: 26 September, 2020, 09:07:36 pm »
I went and checked it out.
It's called RAF Little Rissington, but is nearer Upper Rissington (where the air force housing is/was) and even Great Rissington that it is to Lt Rissington.
But there's a lovely west window done by the airforce in Lt Riss church.  And an annual service mid Sept.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.