Author Topic: Hase Pino Owners  (Read 5450 times)

Hase Pino Owners
« on: 24 December, 2021, 10:54:01 am »
We're currently mulling over swapping our Thorn Raven tandem for a Hase Pino.  There seem to be 3 up for sale around the UK at the moment, all around the £3000 mark.

Any advice from Pino riders would be welcome, I particularly interested in the captains position / steering; Whats it like using such wide bars and does the lack of alternative hand positions become tiresome? 

Re: Hase Pino Owners
« Reply #1 on: 24 December, 2021, 11:39:54 am »
Paging Mr Hall:  To the tandem shaped phone please.
Rust never sleeps

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 24 December, 2021, 11:54:27 am »
There was a team OTP that tackled PBP19 on a Pino. They timed out not hugely far from the finish. You might try PMing them.
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=113155.msg2424222#msg2424222
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3 on: 24 December, 2021, 01:05:19 pm »
Joe, you should have had a go on ours at the rally.

I can't say I've noticed the wide bars being an issue. I do notice the difference when I swap from the Pino to the Super Galaxy twin, but that's probably because the Super Galaxy is from The Olden Days and has particularly narrow bars
Not noticed any tiredness due to lack of different hand positions..

How old arw the ones you're looking at? Mine is at least 20 years old, so has a 3speed hub with 7 speed cassette. Later models have a cross over triple chainset and 9 speed cassette. Mine is a steel frame, I believe the later ones are aluminium.. Tell tale is the position of the timing chsin. Old ones have it on the right, new ones on the left. The newer ones  gave improved handlebars which don't rust from the inside.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #4 on: 24 December, 2021, 01:59:46 pm »
Hi Tim,

I should have had a go on yours, I have ridden one before but that was round 12 years ago now so not a recent experience.

It's Mrs B who really fancies a Pino, she has always favoured recumbents but these days all of our rides together seem to be on the tandem. A Pino seems like the obvious way forward.

All 3 of those currently available seem to be of 5-7 years(ish) vintage, all have aluminium frames with the splitting arrangement now dropped on the newer models. They are all 9 speed too.

Something that I've been wondering about today, (while at work with no intention of doing anything productive), is sharing a rohloff rear wheel between my Surly Trucker and a Pino.  The Pino uses the OEM axle plate, (same as Thorn), were as Surly use the OEM2 axle plate. I reckon that I could fabricate a Rolhoff axle plate combining the features of both the OEM & OEM2.

« Reply #5 on: 28 December, 2021, 11:05:17 pm »
Hi Joe.

Where are you based?

Quite happy to let you and your wife use ours for a couple of days. Buying a Pino is not a step to take lightly!

We are in south Essex.

What size are you? I am quite a broad chap, so the width of the bars suits me, but the (small) distance between the saddle and the handlebars, and the (raked) angle of the seat tube made things difficult to get a really good fit for me. We have had the bike a year and are still trying to get it right for both of us.

I resorted to buying some 22.2mm aluminium tube and some tube benders, to make bar ends, that give the angle that is correct for my fussy wrists. When I did the first set of bespoke angled bar ends for it, it became apparent that the original lower part of the bars, which I still had to use is not accurately manufactured, so the bar end angles need to correct that misalignment too.

We have done 1380miles on it during the 12 months that we have owned it, and have done some amazing rides, but 40 miles is a long day of riding for both of us on "Pinocchio", whereas we were doing 70 mile rides on the conventional tandem, the previous year.

One of the issues we had with the bike, which must have been an issue for the previous owner too, the rear brake calliper mounting was very badly misaligned. This was so bad, I had to manufacture a 10 degree wedge to fit between the frame and the calliper mounting bracket, to get the pads somewhere near parallel with the disc, then finally facing the mount to finish the job.

A couple have done LEJOG on theirs, and they have a nose fairing which gives them a 2mph aerodynamic advantage. These fairings are not readily available, and they got theirs from the states, made to measure.

They are a handful, but they are a great concept.

Good luck.

Jef
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

« Reply #6 on: 29 December, 2021, 06:17:02 pm »
Hi Steve, thanks for the offer of a ride, that won't work out unfortunately as we're up in Newcastle. Plus I've taken the plunge and bought one just yesterday in Manchester as I was there anyway returning the eldest to university.

I've barely ridden it yet but my first impression is that the captains position does indeed feel a bit odd, BB too high, arms too wide, position too upright.  I'm sure that with a few rides and a bit of fettling I'll be able to establish a comfortable position though.

Our plan was to fund the Pino by selling our Thorn tandem however it occurred to us yesterday that a more sensible approach would be to hold onto both tandems for a year before deciding which to keep and which to sell on. 

« Reply #7 on: 30 December, 2021, 07:54:57 pm »
"Steve"????

LOL

Good luck Bert
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

« Reply #8 on: 30 December, 2021, 09:26:45 pm »
 :facepalm: Doh.

Sorry Jef

I was in the office when I posted that so the chances are 'Steve' was jabbering away at me about something while I was trying to focus on more important YACF business.

« Reply #9 on: 01 January, 2022, 06:57:48 pm »
No problem, good luck with your lovely new to you bike!

« Reply #10 on: 23 January, 2022, 09:22:35 pm »
We’ve just had our first proper ride on the Pino today, a hilly 40 miles around our local bit of Northumberland.

We were pretty slow, Mrs B is a bit broken given that it’s been quite a while since she’s ridden any more than her daily commuting distance, not to mention the fact that it has been around four years since she has last ridden a recumbent.

I think that I’m quite a bit more fatigued than I would normally expect to be after that particular ride. For me I think it was the riding position, the BB is so high that I can’t get the saddle high enough for peddling to feel right.  I found the lack of multiple hand positions a problem too and by the final 10 miles my left palm was in some pain. A set of Ergon grips might help with that.

Overall we enjoyed the bike though I think it might take quite a few miles before we’re as strong as we’d like to be on it.   

« Reply #11 on: 23 January, 2022, 11:04:26 pm »
For me, it is not the height of the BB, it is the angle of the seat tube being too raked, and the fact that I need to have the seat as far back on the rails as possible, so that I can support the bike and stoker and get between the saddle and the bars before I even start pedalling.

So basically, for me, the down tube is too short.

40 miles (in my opinion) is a long way on a Pino. We have done 50mile days, but they are less enjoyable.

Let me know if you want me to make some bar ends that fit your wrist angle properly.

Probably best if you find me on the facebook hase pino owners page.

Jef Ott

« Reply #12 on: 15 July, 2022, 09:03:28 pm »
I can't believe I've only just spotted this thread. Sorry.

It was me and @j4 who tried to do PBP2019 on the Pino. We eventually gave up at Mortagne au Perche after it became clear that I was piloting while asleep. The problem for us was probably more sleep deprivation due to having children than anything to do with the Pino. We started the whole thing underslept, and of course that didn't improve on the ride.

The riding position for the captain is certainly different. I don't mind being quite high up, or indeed sitting fairly upright, so despite being only 5'10", I have the extra long handlebars. I also have a set of extra bits to hold onto from the Pino accessories list (I can't remember what they're called). If I want to get a bit of extra speed up I'll rest with my forearms between the handlebars proper and these extensions and pretend I'm using tri bars. We gain several kph as soon as I get my head down.

We're hoping to do PBP again next time, though haven't actually done much in the way of long rides yet. Time to start building up again.

« Reply #13 on: 17 July, 2022, 09:51:37 pm »
Hi Duncan,
Given a bit of time I’ve become much more comfortable on the Pino.  It was during the Tandem Club Rally in May that the bike suddenly started to work for me. I think it was a combination of playing around with the position of the saddle/bars and the fact that the relaxed pace of the rides made me realise that that’s how the bike is best ridden.  One thing that I still haven’t gotten round to is ordering some steel tube with which to fabricate some new handlebars as I could do with about 20mm more height than is currently possible.

PBP defiantly isn’t on the cards for me and Vanessa, she joined me on a 100k event 10 years ago and decided that it wasn’t for her. 

« Reply #14 on: 18 July, 2022, 11:19:01 am »
Hase can sell you a pair of slightly longer handlebars. I have these on mine.

« Reply #15 on: 06 November, 2022, 07:03:07 pm »
...  One thing that I still haven’t gotten round to is ordering some steel tube with which to fabricate some new handlebars as I could do with about 20mm more height than is currently possible.

I am happy to fabricate some new handlebar ends in 22mm Aluminium tube, bent at an angle to suit your wrists.

What year is your Pino?

Jef

« Reply #16 on: 09 November, 2022, 09:09:18 pm »
...  One thing that I still haven’t gotten round to is ordering some steel tube with which to fabricate some new handlebars as I could do with about 20mm more height than is currently possible.

I am happy to fabricate some new handlebar ends in 22mm Aluminium tube, bent at an angle to suit your wrists.

What year is your Pino?

Jef

That would be terrific thanks Jef, PM sent :thumbsup:

« Reply #17 on: 11 November, 2022, 09:15:31 am »
Joe,

PM received and replied to.

Looking forward to getting the info, so I can start making your bar ends.

Bars made and posted. Hope you are soon enjoying a better fit on your Pino. (Not too hard, to be fair.)

If you have a 3x chainset and twist grip shifting, I would recommend changing just the left shifter to a bar-end friction shifter.

Wishing you and your stoker the very Best of luck,

Jef

« Reply #18 on: 28 November, 2022, 05:53:17 pm »
Hi All

Joe B identified that on some of the Pino Bar Ends, a hole is required through the wall of the tube, to allow the shifter cable to enter.

If anyone else wants to try some different angle bar ends, to try to improve their Pino pilot fit, please could they specify if they need this. (My single bar end shifter uses an external cable, but Joe's use internal cables.)

I have enough material for another set, and can post to mainland UK for £20 inc p&p, payable only if satisfied with the bars.

Jef 

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #19 on: 11 April, 2023, 01:31:36 pm »
Here's a good thread as any for my Pino news.

A couple of weeks ago I b0rked (again) the Sachs 3 x 7 hub on my 25-ish year old Pino.  That's the hub that Sachs/SRAM say is not recommended for tandem use. Use with the previous three (or is it four?) cases, teeth have been stripped from the sun gear. Replacement parts are hard/impossible to get hold of.

Then I spotted a Pino on the TC website for sale board. We had a test ride on Sunday and did a deal.  Pick it up at the weekend.

It's a lightly used much younger model, with Proper Gears, splitable frame, bouncy forks, hydraulic disc brakes. Oh! Proper low gears! They're what's needed. The newer style of seat is more comfortable according to my stoker. Looking forward to doing some miles on it.

« Reply #20 on: 12 April, 2023, 12:53:35 pm »
Good news Tim, so that's why you weren't at the rally!  Look forward to seeing it (and you and Vicky) next month in Hampshire.

« Reply #21 on: 12 April, 2023, 05:29:24 pm »

... The newer style of seat is more comfortable according to my stoker. Looking forward to doing some miles on it.

Can you show us a picture please Tim?

My stoker is constantly complaining. Sometimes she even complains about the comfort on our 12yr old Pino!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #22 on: 13 April, 2023, 04:38:20 pm »

... The newer style of seat is more comfortable according to my stoker. Looking forward to doing some miles on it.

Can you show us a picture please Tim?

My stoker is constantly complaining. Sometimes she even complains about the comfort on our 12yr old Pino!
Hi Jef. I pick it up at the weekend, so I'll post some snaps then. I suspect it may be the same vintage as yours though, it's just that my Young Lady has been putting up with the seat on our very old Pino and was struck by the improvement.