Author Topic: Brevet Cymru 2022  (Read 10324 times)

Brevet Cymru 2022
« on: 30 December, 2021, 11:33:19 am »
Hi, apologies if this has been said elsewhere but I had a look around and couldn't see anything.

Is the Brevet Cymru planning to run in 2022 currently? It's on the AUK site but a lot of the info text refers to previous years. Out of curiosity did it run in 2021? Can't find a thread.

Cheers

Re: Brevet Cymru 2022
« Reply #1 on: 01 January, 2022, 10:32:22 pm »
Yes, it’s in the calendar for 30th April and I’ve just entered it after missing it for a few years :thumbsup:
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #2 on: 02 January, 2022, 10:28:44 am »
IIUC, Mark has rolled over all entries from the aborted 2020 event.

« Reply #3 on: 21 April, 2022, 08:54:13 am »
... just over a week to go  ;D

« Reply #4 on: 21 April, 2022, 05:22:55 pm »

Jeff E

• Formerly JRe
« Reply #5 on: 22 April, 2022, 05:54:18 pm »
Mark has asked entrants to declare themselves as DNS on their personal list of upcoming Events Entered.    I cannot find that facility.    Does he mean us to achieve this by “Delete Event”.    If so, AUK themselves could make it clearer for us by renaming it as “Register as DNS”.   I’m sure Organisers would appreciate this, rather than a host of emails from those polite enough to inform them

« Reply #6 on: 23 April, 2022, 10:22:43 am »
Mark has asked entrants to declare themselves as DNS on their personal list of upcoming Events Entered.    I cannot find that facility.    Does he mean us to achieve this by “Delete Event”.    If so, AUK themselves could make it clearer for us by renaming it as “Register as DNS”.   I’m sure Organisers would appreciate this, rather than a host of emails from those polite enough to inform them
I assumed I was just being thick so did that and an email!

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #7 on: 23 April, 2022, 12:29:33 pm »
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #8 on: 24 April, 2022, 11:16:32 am »
Enjoy.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29804527?beta=false

How certain is that route? The part to Hay always changes.

BB
It isn't Mark's route to Hay but it is a route.

« Reply #9 on: 24 April, 2022, 11:19:43 am »
Just pulled my entry. My second bout of cv has put paid to long rides this spring. Oh well. Hope weather is good for everybody

« Reply #10 on: 24 April, 2022, 04:19:25 pm »
Enjoy.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29804527?beta=false
How certain is that route? The part to Hay always changes.
BB
It isn't Mark's route to Hay but it is a route.
I haven't access to this year's routesheet, Will. But this IS Mark's routesheet (extract) for the last few years:
LEFT on RIGHT-hand bend, $ CROSS ASH 2 1/2
LEFT at X, $ CROSS ASH 1.
RIGHT in CROSS ASH, $ Grosmont 3
LEFT at T, CR46. Sign part missing, (but right = Grosmont)
RIGHT, "Unsuitable for heavy Goods Vehicles" then quick fork LEFT.
RIGHT at T, then 1st. LEFT before "Old Pandy Inn".
RIGHT, $ MICHAELCHURCH, HAY. (this lanes goes-on for ages)
LEFT at T,  onto B4348 - go to HAY-ON-WYE
CONTROL : By the bus stop on LEFT. $ AUK Control (86km)

This route is the shortest viable (77.3km + 1114m).
Via Golden Valley (Ewyas Harold) is 80.6km + 983m.
I have ridden both over the years.
Or go the 'whole hog' (Steve Poulton style) and over Gospel Pass is 80.2km + 1224m.
In 2019 Mark issued the routesheet part of which I've pasted here and also a gpx which went via Golden Valley (caveat Rockfield option). He said then "There are route sheet and GPS files attached,  they do vary in a couple of places, but this just down to taking 'opposite sides of a square'. Both work, the route has remained largely unchanged for nearly two decades."

« Reply #11 on: 24 April, 2022, 08:28:04 pm »
Michaelchurch is on the routesheet this year. I haven't checked the gpx file yet.

ETA: The gpx route goes to Hay via the Golden Valley, which I understand is the same as previous years. Do any regulars have a view on which is the better option?

« Reply #12 on: 25 April, 2022, 03:38:12 pm »
Michaelchurch is on the routesheet this year. I haven't checked the gpx file yet.

ETA: The gpx route goes to Hay via the Golden Valley, which I understand is the same as previous years. Do any regulars have a view on which is the better option?

i've generally use the golden valley route, but the road surface has been a bit rough in the past ... who knows, maybe they've resurfaced it sonce 2019 ?

« Reply #13 on: 25 April, 2022, 05:58:01 pm »
I seem to recall they have

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #14 on: 25 April, 2022, 07:30:32 pm »

I have not received any correspondence from Mark and am going on the fact that my entry was rolled over from 2020. Has anyone else been emailed route sheet or gpx? My one is very close to the 2019 that was mailed to me.

BB 
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #15 on: 25 April, 2022, 09:38:58 pm »
Yep, on the 22nd

« Reply #16 on: 25 April, 2022, 11:45:42 pm »

I have not received any correspondence from Mark and am going on the fact that my entry was rolled over from 2020. Has anyone else been emailed route sheet or gpx? My one is very close to the 2019 that was mailed to me.

BB
You need to get that e-mail. Mark shares some important info. Key items:
No facilities at start: pick up brevet round the back.
Hay control is Drovers Cycles (through Hay and L $ Capel-y-ffin 8 (Forest Rd)) - this is the only 'route change'.
Llangattock is food, drink toilets and move-on as quickly as possible (no hanging around).
bp garage PoP at finish (just off 'first and last' rbt) and post to Mark (not through BCC letterbox).

« Reply #17 on: 27 April, 2022, 08:03:44 pm »
I too haven't had any emails or correspondence from Mark.  I've just emailed him to ask if he's intending to send the details.  It seems I've been missed off the email list - My entry is also a rollover. 

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #18 on: 27 April, 2022, 11:30:21 pm »
I too haven't had any emails or correspondence from Mark.  I've just emailed him to ask if he's intending to send the details.  It seems I've been missed off the email list - My entry is also a rollover.
If it's any help, Mark's posted a ton of info on Facebook. V comprehensive.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #19 on: 28 April, 2022, 09:55:24 am »

« Reply #20 on: 28 April, 2022, 06:14:24 pm »
Thanks all,

Mark has re-sent me the info (thanks too Raymond) so I now have the info.  Mark thought my Apple email may have  identified it as spam because of the large number on the distribution - certainly not in my local Junk folder.   I'm afraid I'm one of those who believe Facebook to be the spawn of satan and so don't have an account on principle :)

« Reply #21 on: 29 April, 2022, 11:07:55 am »
There are spam filters above spam filters...

I've been finding this occurring more so on my events even using MailChimp that is supposed to be registered with all the providers.

On an aside...
Llanddewi-Breffi drinking water tap behind the phone box. - streetview link

« Reply #22 on: 02 May, 2022, 11:37:31 am »
Great ride that! Stunning scenery, quiet roads, great controls and I met some lovely people along the way.

Thanks for organising Mark and cheers for the company in the last 100km Will, Matt(ress) & Dave.

« Reply #23 on: 03 May, 2022, 09:43:24 am »
Great ride that! Stunning scenery, quiet roads, great controls and I met some lovely people along the way.

Thanks for organising Mark and cheers for the company in the last 100km Will, Matt(ress) & Dave.

+1 to that. I found it pretty tough but it was a brilliant route.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #24 on: 03 May, 2022, 03:05:42 pm »
A tough ride, found it hard to ride with anyone because my climbing is so bad at the moment.  So a lot of solo riding and meeting up with the same people at each control. But still a pleasant day out, as all riding in Wales seems to be.

Starting thinking that I could always turn around at Llandovery the first time, and have a nice 300km ride if I didn't feel up to finishing. But by the time I felt I might have bitten off more than I could chew I was at Llandovery for the second time, it was about 10pm and bailing became very difficult. Finally limped into Chepstow at 5:15.

Chepstow to Hay - harder than I remember, no big hills on the profile but frequent choppy small hills
Hay To Llandovery - about the same, rolling on a main road. had wind was a bit of a pain
Llandovery to Tregaron - easier than I remember, a long drag at the start, but no tough climbs
Tregaron to Newquay - hard, but all compressed into the last section
Newquay to Llandovery - as expected a big climb at the start and another just before rejoining the outbound route
Llandovery to Llangatock - a long long climb to the top, but at a steady gradient so quite managable, but never felt the downhill that should exist from the top.
Llangatock to Chepstow- really struggled here, the last climb was near impossible, and I was glad of the rain to keep me awake on the descent

A useful ride to tell me where my fitness is. LEL seems achievable, but LEJOG in July looks very challenging from here.

Eddington  127miles, 170km