Author Topic: That Nice Mr. C. Boardman  (Read 1666 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: That Nice Mr. C. Boardman
« Reply #1 on: 22 January, 2022, 11:05:39 am »
I don't like the focus on psyclepaths, unless they are free of peds and dogs, regularly swept, gritted in winter, and maintain priority when crossing side roads.  And that's never going to happen.  Even the London cycle superhighways require you to wait for aeons at lights.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 22 January, 2022, 12:33:22 pm »
It's a bit early to tell, just from that Grauno, what difference this will make. Advice and help in planning is good, not sure what differences ranking will make, but a lot will depend on funding. And of course saying a scheme is not good enough doesn't have any effect when there is no scheme.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3 on: 22 January, 2022, 12:47:52 pm »
I don't like the focus on psyclepaths, unless they are free of peds and dogs, regularly swept, gritted in winter, and maintain priority when crossing side roads.  And that's never going to happen.  Even the London cycle superhighways require you to wait for aeons at lights.

EC Boardman: Hahahahahaha! Ahahahaha!  Oh yes!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #4 on: 22 January, 2022, 01:51:12 pm »
If you make your way up to Mordor you can try our blue route. 
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

ian

« Reply #5 on: 22 January, 2022, 08:46:59 pm »
He's a perennial voice of good sense. He faces an uphill battle but you can't help but admire him for taking it on. As I'm someone who's mostly given up on cycling, he makes me feel like a bit (ok, lot) of a failure.

« Reply #6 on: 22 January, 2022, 09:07:44 pm »
Met him once on a london ride. Smashing bloke.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 22 January, 2022, 09:12:07 pm »
If you make your way up to Mordor you can try our blue route.

I'm becoming increasingly suspicious that the A38 cycleway was a fluke, particularly with regard to priority at junctions (which, for non-Middle-Earthians, it gets right - to the point where you risk being driven at by confused motorists).  The A34 route (which doesn't go anywhere) is a bit more stop-start, and the continuation of the A38 route at the top of Silly Oak involves long waits and beg buttons.  If that wasn't sufficient evidence that the council's clue about cycle infra was transient, there's also the planned access road for the new SCIENCE park off the Silly Oak bypass, where the legacy shared-use bollocks will give way to the multi-lane(!) access road where it joins the roundabout in a series of tight turns with, presumably, tacticle paving of doom.

If the nice Mr Boardman feels like coming down and telling them how to do it properly, he would be most welcome.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #8 on: 23 January, 2022, 12:29:40 am »
I think the problem is the paltry amount of cash at his disposal. Jane (F)OTP was talking about this in the Lewisham cyclists' FB page and was clearly Quite Cross about it.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #9 on: 23 January, 2022, 07:21:03 pm »
The side roads thing he mentioned in the radio interview I heard. He might not be working with the fast and long distance types as his main beneficiaries, but I do think he views riding a bike with more skin in the game than the average council roads planning type.