Author Topic: Peculier Old 200 - 28/10/23  (Read 1046 times)

Peculier Old 200 - 28/10/23
« on: 13 October, 2023, 01:53:31 pm »
I've been informed this is the eighth running of this since I resurrected it, hopefully we won't get the weather from the 2018 edition captured by yorkie: https://maps.app.goo.gl/zL3Ur7Edm76QC2dF7

I'll be ordering cards soon, get an entry in if you want to ride: https://www.audax.uk/event-details/10361-peculier_old_200

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
Re: Peculier Old 200 - 28/10/23
« Reply #1 on: 14 October, 2023, 01:08:58 pm »
I prefer these ones of Aidan Hedley approaching the A1(M) bridge. I was sheltering at the time, rooting out my spare/dry clothing and gloves...

Sadly, I will be unable to get up there this year!
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #2 on: 18 October, 2023, 08:26:11 am »
Have booked myself onto this.
I'm hoping for a repeat of last year's weather (though possibly with less rain but certainly early rain to give me a chance to dry off).
And hoping for some more bakewell (pretty please), plus whatever savoury it was.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #3 on: 18 October, 2023, 08:42:28 am »
I'm hoping for a repeat of last year's weather (though possibly with less rain but certainly early rain to give me a chance to dry off).
And hoping for some more bakewell (pretty please), plus whatever savoury it was.
YHPM

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #4 on: 18 October, 2023, 11:38:38 am »
I'm keeping an eye on the weather and might pop down the road (rail) for this one to complete the season.

It does look a lovely ride. 

« Reply #5 on: 18 October, 2023, 12:20:17 pm »

I started planning the Bakewell when I saw your name on the list ;D

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #6 on: 01 November, 2023, 08:49:17 am »
We went up north in the campervan for a long weekend, with bikes with gears.
On the way up we stopt off in Harrogate to try out for size a spa something that was the same geometry as the spa audax mono, but they have run out of those in arabella size.  Then spent an exciting night listening to girl-and boy-racers doing handbrake turns around Morton Park.
As on previous visits to this part of the world, there was some Weather; and I've now officially met madcow (as opposed to living in the same county as BSE). 
This time for weather we got low lying cloud and some precipitation, but not so much.  It had the side-effect of rendering it un-possible to admire the scenery (no hardship tbh as this was while I was grunting through the more undulating part of the ride and thus nose to handlebars etc).  The road was fully blocked in Middleton unless you were on a bike and could sidle along the pavement (via co-op/cafés).   On to Scargill where bakewell tart was available for consumption (yummy).  As was breakfast flavoured quiche (also yummy).  The crappy surface after said comestibles hadn't improved in the intervening year.  24" gear was employed (elsewhere).  We then fetched up at the White Bear in Masham for chips, kitchen shut but they were doing chips for the shooting brigade that had fetched up there just previously and, in some cases, a pint of Peculier Old - why not?.  Very nice woollen socks the shootists had, in various shades (inc. YELLOW :-)) as best befit the particular tweed chosen (slightly more modern gear also in evidence).  When I enquired as to whether said tweedies were looking forwards to a nice roast pheasant on the morrow the reply was a resounding "oh yes".  So a local shoot for local people as distinct from the grouse moor carnage etc., I hope.
The 2nd part of the ride is flatter :-), and with less weather though a bit of wind was included.  And there was a lovely full moon showing its cheeks on the last leg. 
Saturday night was spent at a picnic site "parking for horse boxes".  With raindrops chattering on the roof throughout, either rain rain or dripping trees rain.  On Sunday we had a nice wet ride (with puddles a plenty) along to see L CC + household for brunch cooked by #1 daughter.  The river was rather swollen, and it rained throughout; corrrelation or causation or co-incidence - you decide :-P 
Then back south.
Monday was spent lovingly polishing bicycles. 
As ever, thanks to organiser :-)
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.