Author Topic: 2012 Mersey Roads 24TT  (Read 39642 times)

Re: 2012 Mersey Roads 24TT
« Reply #200 on: 27 July, 2012, 12:12:05 am »
There were a few photographers out there. Does anyone have links to any photosets? Seemed to be lots more from ESCA..

Here's my report on the National 24hr:
http://thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=1678

« Reply #201 on: 27 July, 2012, 08:34:48 am »
There were a few photographers out there. Does anyone have links to any photosets? Seemed to be lots more from ESCA..

I don't think that anyone has noted the fact that the podium of the 24 was Ireland, Australia, USA. There was a comment somewhere on here that few non-British riders do UK time trials.
I had a nice chat with Scherrit and Malwina on the finish circuit. The CTT rep said that he liked coming to the 24 because he felt like he was coming home to family. After 24 hours you get to see what people are actually like, there's no energy left for pretence, especially when they're supporting a contender.

« Reply #202 on: 27 July, 2012, 09:06:54 am »

Great write up hippy. I'm impressed at the amount of prep work that you put in.
I see I wasn't the only one perturbed by those barriers on QB circuit. They caught me out every time. The fact that they were almost the same colour as the road didn't help!

To me it looked like the most prolific photographer out on the course was the Rapha guy. I hope he'll put some of his photos online.

« Reply #203 on: 27 July, 2012, 09:56:13 am »
I don't have any natural talent so I have to work hard in the lead up and get advantages anywhere I can :)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #204 on: 27 July, 2012, 10:29:42 am »
I don't think that anyone has noted the fact that the podium of the 24 was Ireland, Australia, USA.
A friend asked me "how Irish is Ultan?", and suggested that only a brit could win the "National" Champs. Purely out of curiousity, does anyone know the answer to this issue? (or is that issueS ?)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #205 on: 27 July, 2012, 10:34:56 am »
I looked into it a while back and I'm fairly sure if you've lived here for two years you can win a National Champs. Not sure how that works if you live in Ireland. Depends if it's the RoI or Northern Ireland too doesn't it?

Jes

« Reply #206 on: 27 July, 2012, 11:00:39 am »
I see I wasn't the only one perturbed by those barriers on QB circuit. They caught me out every time. The fact that they were almost the same colour as the road didn't help!

[/quote]

I thought someone was having a laugh - they were a massive challenge for a tired trainee trikie trying to get through the course without crashing, falling, ditching etc. I ended up crawling through.

Jes

« Reply #207 on: 27 July, 2012, 11:01:53 am »

Excellent report.....I've been trying to do a write up but I can't remember even a fraction of the detail you have! I'm always amazed by people who can do that.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #208 on: 27 July, 2012, 11:07:50 am »

I thought someone was having a laugh - they were a massive challenge for a tired trainee trikie trying to get through the course without crashing, falling, ditching etc. I ended up crawling through.
I was going to write that the roadworks added some welcome fun, with a bit of technical weavin' abaat on a (probably) traffic-free section.
I hadn't thought about Trikes!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #209 on: 27 July, 2012, 11:27:09 am »
Excellent report.....I've been trying to do a write up but I can't remember even a fraction of the detail you have! I'm always amazed by people who can do that.

I couldn't remember 50% of what I wrote. I made Mal stay up last night and go through her notes about when I stopped, what I ate, what I did, etc. :)
Without her assistance it would've been "Rode bike for a day, ate lots, feel sick, beat record, came second, sore bum" and that's about it :)

« Reply #210 on: 27 July, 2012, 05:38:24 pm »
Recovered enough to add my bit:

Huge thanks to all concerned, so many people. Especially grateful to LWAB and HK and co at their Espley Palace of Kindness!

Fantastic event. Time from "Never ever ever ever EVER again" to deciding to enter next year and do it properly:  only about 40 hours.

My story: Preparation quite good until last couple of months, when most of it was prevented. So 6.25 for the first 100 miles was too fast(!). But another 100 in 8 more hours was better than feared... things may be ok. Then gradually stricken by something new to me, "leaning over sideways while feeling upright", and a new pain in the back. Stopping every couple of miles to stretch it out, and not riding very straight. Reached the finishing circuit and called it a day (got as far as the second TK, to be sure of passing the 277m VTTA standard for 70yo ... grateful for the decrease since last year!)

Main message: as above. Just huge thanks.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #211 on: 27 July, 2012, 07:22:20 pm »
Thanks but the tent, food, tea and most of the kindness and consideration was provided by volunteers of the race organisation. HK and I were just loitering alongside, between supporting our rider. On the other hand, we were happy to provide buckets of encouragement (and abuse, in roughly equal quantities) to riders, making sure they got back on their bikes without wasting too much time.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #212 on: 27 July, 2012, 07:24:24 pm »
Thanks but the tent, food, tea and most of the kindness and consideration was provided by volunteers of the race organisation. HK and I were just loitering alongside, between supporting our rider. On the other hand, we were happy to provide buckets of encouragement (and abuse, in roughly equal quantities) to riders, making sure they got back on their bikes without wasting too much time.

Yes. Thank-you you bastard.  ;)

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #213 on: 27 July, 2012, 07:32:02 pm »
That tent (and the chaise-longe+blanket) were a life-saver - apart from the fact I could still hear LWAB while I tried to doze off.

(p.s. thanks guys! )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #214 on: 27 July, 2012, 07:38:25 pm »
If you'd have asked nicely I'd have given you some earplugs... HK says you were definitely asleep when she went to wake you up.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #215 on: 01 August, 2012, 08:41:51 pm »
I'm posting a short film, it should be ready to view at about 9.30 pm.
http://youtu.be/dl-1HEL8ieY

jimbhoy

« Reply #216 on: 01 August, 2012, 09:34:08 pm »
Nice film, the 24 hour tt and doing an event on a tandem are on my to do list for the future  :thumbsup:

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #217 on: 01 August, 2012, 09:41:09 pm »
Nice film, the 24 hour tt and doing an event on a tandem are on my to do list for the future  :thumbsup:
McNasty may be looking for a tandem partner for the 24 next year.  ;)
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #218 on: 01 August, 2012, 10:12:36 pm »
mrs eck appears therein,as she did in last year's ESL video, sitting next to the NBFO volvo

jimbhoy

« Reply #219 on: 01 August, 2012, 10:15:47 pm »
McNasty may be looking for a tandem partner for the 24 next year.  ;)

Let me think about that for a second.....NO  :hand:

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #220 on: 01 August, 2012, 10:24:17 pm »
mrs eck appears therein,as she did in last year's ESL video, sitting next to the NBFO volvo
By jings, so she does, fleetingly at 3:12, sitting beside a cool-looking young Y Lee G fils. Well spotted jogler. And a (very belated  :-[ ) but huge THANK YOU for putting up with my grumpiness for (not quite) 24 hours. It was a great help having you there. It's your turn to ride next year.  :demon:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #221 on: 02 August, 2012, 08:53:53 am »
I'm posting a short film, it should be ready to view at about 9.30 pm.
http://youtu.be/dl-1HEL8ieY
Good stuff. Tony can watch himself doing the 'PBP lean' @2mins - it's quite disconcerting to see again.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #222 on: 02 August, 2012, 10:03:14 am »
By jings, so she does, fleetingly at 3:12,

& @ 3:01

Me ride a 24hr TT :o Not much chance of that  :hand:

I tell you what,I'll ride it if I win the lottery
I reckon I'm safe  ;D

« Reply #223 on: 02 August, 2012, 10:23:05 am »
As there seems to be a media mod-fest at the moment I did another edit of 24 material to suitable backing, it includes some of the same stuff, and ends the same way. There is a longer film to be made about the 24, maybe even linking in to the Audax and PBP scene. It's nice to be able to promote long-distance cycling, and I do have an enormous library of footage, with some interesting stories to be told. But it is tremendously time-consuming.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lh01K1cQ-0c&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Lh01K1cQ-0c&rel=1</a>

« Reply #224 on: 02 August, 2012, 10:47:38 am »
ESL - superb stuff yet again! Thankyou again. Love your turn of phrase, brilliant.

...doing the 'PBP lean' @2mins - it's quite disconcerting to see again.
Yes. Aaaagh!