Author Topic: Windows 7 problem  (Read 668 times)

Windows 7 problem
« on: 14 January, 2013, 01:07:00 pm »
Hi All,  Occassionally when I boot up my laptop I get a screen saver with grey ghetto blasters diaganally accross it and an error messege "Logged on with temporary profile".  On one occassion my desktop changed after reboot and I lost some of my shortcuts.  This has only been happening over the last couple of weeks and is usually cleared by rebooting.  Anyone know what this is all about and how to cure it?  I run AVG and STOPzilla.

Re: Windows 7 problem
« Reply #1 on: 17 January, 2013, 05:15:48 pm »
For a home laptop this is really odd.
This usually happens when your profile is located on a network share (common configuration on business computers) and that network share cannot be contacted. You then get a local temporary profile.
If you have a local profile I suspect there is a problem with your local profile. Or with your local disk (or disk space).

My first google hit is this, and it seems sensible:
http://www.sysprobs.com/fix-temporary-profile-windows-7
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

« Reply #2 on: 17 January, 2013, 05:41:06 pm »
Thanks Arvid.  I've read through the link you sent me and have to admit most of it is over my head, however I did gleen from it, that running two anti-virus programs could be a problem on boot-up - although they do slightly different jobs.  I will disable STOPzilla for a while and see if it solves the problem.  At the moment I am getting around it by hibernating the laptop instead of shuting it down.

« Reply #3 on: 17 January, 2013, 06:01:42 pm »
IME running two AV packages totally kills a windows machine.   My son has managed to achieve this twice, both times running to daddy to sort it.

I recommend choosing just one  - I use AVG free.

« Reply #4 on: 18 January, 2013, 02:18:23 pm »
Thanks Bear,  I have disabled STOPzilla and the problem seems to have gone away.