Author Topic: LED room lighting (again)  (Read 70599 times)

border-rider

Re: LED room lighting (again)
« Reply #50 on: 02 November, 2011, 06:48:29 pm »
http://waveled.co.uk/

(not a terribly helpful site though; I've got his catalogue here and it's much better)

« Reply #51 on: 02 November, 2011, 07:03:05 pm »
Presumably he's looking to shift them in bulk, rather than maybe domestic customers, or is the website a work in  progress?

border-rider

« Reply #52 on: 02 November, 2011, 07:04:20 pm »
I think he's happy for domestic sales, but I expect on a scale of 10s rather than units

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #53 on: 02 November, 2011, 07:48:04 pm »
Looking at his homepage, you could be Disco Stu and fit your house with ropelights.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #54 on: 03 November, 2011, 09:05:06 pm »
Massive fail on the website - all roads lead to the least interesting product.

« Reply #55 on: 05 November, 2011, 06:26:59 pm »
If i can pick the brains of some of you learned gentlemen for a minute or two.
If i was to purchase one of these "10W High Power Waterproof White LED Flood Wash Light Lamp Bulb DC 12V Outdoor"
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130577292130?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
and wired it up to a 18v 3ampere battery  that i have from my power tools , would it work ?  or just blow it to smitherines.
Looking to make myself a light weight portable work light.

border-rider

« Reply #56 on: 05 November, 2011, 08:55:12 pm »
I think you'd knacker it

It's not clear what's in that light - whether it's current-limited - but if you over-volt it it likely won't be happy.

« Reply #57 on: 07 November, 2011, 08:58:15 pm »
I found this site through another forum where the owner of the business is a member - http://www.ecoledlight.co.uk/

Haven't used them yet, but I'm thinking about it.  Other people on the forum have posted good recommendations - and he says he offers discounts to that forum's members!

« Reply #58 on: 07 November, 2011, 10:29:12 pm »
I've just been looking at those rolls of LED strips with an RGB controller. Might be nice going up the stairs. Wonder how you wire it in?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #59 on: 09 June, 2012, 06:27:35 pm »
Update with what we have in out kitchen now.

JCC JC94174  7W non-dimmable.

Nice pieces of kit and a 10 year warranty.
It is simpler than it looks.

rogerzilla

« Reply #60 on: 17 June, 2012, 07:25:59 pm »
The first of the ten 3W MR16 units in the bathroom has crapped out.  Chinese shite, presumably.  Guaranteed for a year, so I expect a new one.  If this failure rate continues, it would have been much cheaper to stick with 95p halogens, since none of those failed in 9 years and the LEDs are £10 each.

« Reply #61 on: 17 June, 2012, 07:48:38 pm »
Current issues damaging light units?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

rogerzilla

« Reply #62 on: 17 June, 2012, 07:53:38 pm »
I doubt it.

« Reply #63 on: 31 October, 2012, 04:49:50 pm »
More thread necrophilia...

I've found these:
http://www.thelightbulbshop.co.uk/Shop/Base/Product/32457/LDRA0727MU5EUD/67WE-COREMR16GU53LEDBulb.aspx

which at 15 quid inc vat seem reasonable (that's also the cheapest I've found 'em). Tricky bit is, there's 2700k, 3000k, and 4000K variants (and in 35, 25 degrees) ie warm white, natural white, cool white. I'm guessing the nearest to the existing halogens is gonna be something like warm or natural (and TBH I'm not that keen on the cold end of bike led lights...)

Any thoughts ?

LEE

« Reply #64 on: 31 October, 2012, 10:42:19 pm »
I get all my LEDs (warm) from http://www.ledhut.co.uk/?gclid=CK_1iM2prLMCFUbKtAodCSYAqw

Free delivery.  Really please with the products, price and service.

« Reply #65 on: 31 October, 2012, 11:07:29 pm »
Ah this is a good thread. Some good ideas for converting my last few non low energy bulbs to LED  :thumbsup:

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #66 on: 31 October, 2012, 11:32:46 pm »
As I mentioned in another recent thread:

This is the LED "bulb" I have that's really good for supplementing daylight:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200755048519 - Day White version.

The "corn cob" arrangement makes it very wide angle, though it's not a bright as a conventional 100W bulb.  The Warm White is dimmer still.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

rogerzilla

« Reply #67 on: 01 November, 2012, 07:39:39 am »
Two of the unbranded bathroom LEDs died within a year (replaced free of charge by the seller).  All the Philips ones are still going strong.

In the bathroom they need to last 4 years to pay back.  In the kitchen, only 2 years because they're used more.  In bedrooms they need to last almost 10 years.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #68 on: 01 November, 2012, 07:57:24 am »
Slightly tangential to this discussion, but Philips have just released their Hue system in the US.  This zigbee networked lamp is a good indication of where the future lies, with every light bulb we own being a network device that can be controlled individually and as groups. A certain large search engine company is heavily invested in this area as they really, really want to be in our homes (the Internet of things is getting ever so close now).

Hue does look interesting and gives some indication of where LED lighting is going.

Www.meethue.com

Next stage is getting rid of light switches and, instead, having NFC readers behind the wallpaper - wave your phone (or hand if you have chosen to have the NFC chip embedded) over the reader and the lights turn on to your personal settings.

The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #69 on: 01 November, 2012, 08:06:48 am »
We have a room at work where the lights are networked (wired with a web services interface). Good fun, but at home there are quite a small number of settings that I actually want. (Edit to add) and for wired-in lights I see little need for wireless and have little desire for manufacturer lock-in, I'd be looking for control in the fittings rather than the bulbs.

We're gradually trying LEDs in place of halogen in the kitchen, but so far I've yet to find a "bulb" that I'd want to use to replace them all - either too blue, too narrow a beam or too expensive.

« Reply #70 on: 01 November, 2012, 08:09:28 pm »
We have a room at work where the lights are networked (wired with a web services interface). Good fun, but at home there are quite a small number of settings that I actually want. (Edit to add) and for wired-in lights I see little need for wireless and have little desire for manufacturer lock-in, I'd be looking for control in the fittings rather than the bulbs.

We're gradually trying LEDs in place of halogen in the kitchen, but so far I've yet to find a "bulb" that I'd want to use to replace them all - either too blue, too narrow a beam or too expensive.
I still haven't found a match for the halogen colour temperature and hue. Beam angle and brightness are good, price and dimensions are about there, but the light quality isn't good enough.

rogerzilla

« Reply #71 on: 02 November, 2012, 05:57:37 pm »
Now trying Philips 4W clear LED candles in the dining room.  Excellent colour, good looks, instant-on and brighter than the 7W Megaman CFLs (OK colour but appalling 3 minute warm-up time)  that are in there with them.

Sainsbury's sell them for 9.99 and they must have fallen off the back of a lorry, because they're 14.99 everywhere else.

The remarkable thing is that, when we first installed the candelabra in that room, it had 5 x 40w incandescent candles - we've gone from 200W to 20W.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #72 on: 03 November, 2012, 11:59:07 am »
Thanks RZ, off to Sainsbury's shortly....
Wombat

rogerzilla

« Reply #73 on: 03 November, 2012, 12:04:51 pm »
They don't sell them in all branches.  The (larger) Bridgemead store in Swindon doesn't have them and nor does the small town centre sture - just the Stratton store we normally use.

I need one more of them so I'm hoping they restock - even on fleaBay I can't find them for less than about £14 including postage.

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #74 on: 05 November, 2012, 02:05:52 pm »
Slightly tangential to this discussion, but Philips have just released their Hue system in the US.  This zigbee networked lamp is a good indication of where the future lies, with every light bulb we own being a network device that can be controlled individually and as groups. A certain large search engine company is heavily invested in this area as they really, really want to be in our homes (the Internet of things is getting ever so close now).

As a fully-paid-up Luddite, I find this very, very scary.
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical