Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1165177 times)

Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #4325 on: 30 August, 2011, 08:09:42 pm »
I am a fully signed up member of La Société Adrian Hands  ;D  :thumbsup:  ;D
http://adrianhandssociety.com/Society_Members.html

Now to order my psychadelic jersey!

Ah, I see.  Appropriately enough, lantern rouge qualified for that.  I must let him know it exists...

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #4326 on: 31 August, 2011, 01:12:08 pm »
Half that society must be YACFers juding from the list!

*raises hand, tentatively proudly*

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4327 on: 31 August, 2011, 01:37:06 pm »
I've just condemned the telly to the CRT waste pile at the local recycling site.  There was a well-loved monitor there with a note saying "goodbye old friend" stuck to it.  I know the feeling, though it certainly doesn't extend to that telly.

I will at some point remove the tuner cards from Edna the telly computer and set myself up for endless harassment from the TV licensing people.   :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4328 on: 01 September, 2011, 02:55:07 pm »
A nice DHL man has just delivered a large cardboard box for me to have fun with! Hello, my old friend.  :)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4329 on: 02 September, 2011, 04:54:33 pm »
And now it's fully assembled, meaning I have two functioning bikes in one place.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4330 on: 06 September, 2011, 05:23:46 pm »
I've had my last appointment with the dentist.  Thank fuck for that.

This also means I get a lie-in on Friday :D

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4331 on: 06 September, 2011, 06:19:56 pm »
I've had my last appointment with the dentist.  Thank fuck for that.

This also means I get a lie-in on Friday :D
Bastard ....
My dental fun is only just beginning - another appointment in 3 weeks to have the roots of a tooth removed, and then a root canal 6 weeks after that. Ho-frickin'-hum.

About the only bit of good news I can muster is that the taste of the Alvogyl paste is finally diminishing to the point that coffee now tastes like coffee rather than caffeinated TCP.

EDIT: Actually, belay that bit above: my 3G Kindle has just been dispatched  :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4332 on: 06 September, 2011, 06:50:19 pm »
I shall be setting off for a choir practice in a few minutes, the first for the new term. We are giving a Baroque Concert on 19th November. I don't yet know which works we'll be preforming, but it must be better than the John Bleedin' Rutter that I didn't perform because I was on the Dun Run.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4333 on: 06 September, 2011, 07:35:38 pm »
Anything's better than John Rutter!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4334 on: 07 September, 2011, 11:12:01 am »
A small thing to some, but a significant one for me: I've managed to do the update on our accounting software.

Sounds insignificant?  Well, two years ago (during my first year here), it took eight months, a lot of headscratching by our local IT Dept and the software providers, and the eventual use of an intermediate upgrade to effect, causing massive disruption to the bookkeeping, and a lot of work for me which is still having repercussions.
Getting there...

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #4335 on: 07 September, 2011, 07:41:57 pm »
Learning is GREAT FUN!!!!   ;D
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #4336 on: 08 September, 2011, 03:40:01 pm »
I'll be staying at Sven the Flemish Hipster's gaffe in Antwerp next week :thumbsup:

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4337 on: 08 September, 2011, 04:04:00 pm »
I am finishing work for the day now as I have icing to put in a cake then I am going out on the bike for Deano's last ride out (for a while)  :thumbsup:
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4338 on: 08 September, 2011, 05:23:00 pm »
Half price chocolate at Home Bargains.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Good news
« Reply #4339 on: 08 September, 2011, 06:32:10 pm »
@helly a methodist minister friend of mine loves Join Rutter's music and was shocked almost to the point of offence when I opined that it is an enormous pile of steaming poo.

« Reply #4340 on: 08 September, 2011, 07:11:02 pm »
Yay I'm off to sunny Spain (bike buson satday) veeeeva Espanya   ;D
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #4341 on: 08 September, 2011, 09:36:35 pm »
Unashamed trumpet blowing here, but the BUG at work sailed through the 600 members milestone yesterday following a company garden fete sort of event where the BUG had a stand and we canvassed new members.

I never fail to be surprised at how many people we keep finding who cycle to work and haven't joined the BUG (or have even heard about it).

We have 4000 on site, so 600 is pretty good going I reckon.
Rust never sleeps

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #4342 on: 09 September, 2011, 08:39:14 am »
While out early on the Bank Holiday Monday I experienced some appalling driving by someone in a liveried van.  This past Sunday I finally got around to sending the company an email, complete with photo a photo of the vehicle in question stopped in a pedestrian crossing.    My email was acknowledged first thing Monday morning.  Today I received a reply with the following quote from 'senior management':
Firstly thank you for your e-mail dated the 4th September 2011, contents of which we note.  Please be advised that following receipt of your e-mail, we have spoken to the driver concerned and he has been disciplined internally.  Our personnel have been reminded for the need of discharging their duties diligently and professionally by Senior Management at all times which includes responsible driving in accordance with the Highway Code and associated rules and regulations.

I'll consider that a win.  :)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #4343 on: 09 September, 2011, 11:51:57 am »
After four months of unemployment and a seriously depleted redundancy payment.... I just got a letter informing me that I'm owed a £1300 tax rebate for last year! That eases the guilt of spluging on a new road bike ;-)
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4344 on: 14 September, 2011, 09:05:08 am »
We've got that Auntie Helen coming this evening and we are going to eat curry!

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #4345 on: 14 September, 2011, 11:43:00 am »
I just answered the door to a postie who was slightly perplexed by a parcel addressed to 'poorly lion'. I am now (although possibly not for long) the proud owner of a not-small quantity of fboab's finest chocolate brownies - riders of the seething 600, read it and weep for you understand truly what i have and what you do not. CAIK by post ftw!

Chris S

« Reply #4346 on: 14 September, 2011, 12:08:24 pm »
I just answered the door to a postie who was slightly perplexed by a parcel addressed to 'poorly lion'. I am now (although possibly not for long) the proud owner of a not-small quantity of fboab's finest chocolate brownies - riders of the seething 600, read it and weep for you understand truly what i have and what you do not. CAIK by post ftw!

:thumbsup:

GWS  :-*

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #4347 on: 14 September, 2011, 12:30:10 pm »
fboab: do you have my postal address? I'm ever so poorly ... ;)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #4348 on: 14 September, 2011, 12:37:44 pm »
My girlfriend has now moved her bicycle into my garage :thumbsup:

« Reply #4349 on: 14 September, 2011, 12:57:41 pm »

Brilliant, bet that put a smile on your face  :thumbsup: