Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1165294 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #3850 on: 13 May, 2011, 07:54:59 am »
We will be near Berwick...shmaybe we could meet up?
Well, I'll be at work on the weekdays, so bobb'll be free.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3851 on: 13 May, 2011, 10:56:27 am »
Tomorrow is my day off :D

4 day weeks are civilised.
I like 7 days in my weeks, but only 4 of them to be spent working.  ;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3852 on: 13 May, 2011, 11:19:51 pm »
We will be near Berwick...shmaybe we could meet up?
Well, I'll be at work on the weekdays, so bobb'll be free.
We be arriving on Friday and leaving on Monday...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #3853 on: 14 May, 2011, 06:07:37 pm »
Repair Service | Rapha
I see this as good news, anyway

And they're back. They're all darned and hole-less.
Bloody tremendous.

Knock the Rapha thang all you like, but that's brilliant service. Free repairs!

« Reply #3854 on: 14 May, 2011, 06:34:08 pm »
Not really free. Included in the purchase price.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #3855 on: 16 May, 2011, 08:01:29 am »
bobb will be here in 2 days!

« Reply #3856 on: 16 May, 2011, 08:52:20 am »
bobb will be here in 2 days!
:thumbsup:

It's really tough being apart when you want someone close. I won't see SheWhoQWouldLikeToBeTheNextMrsQ for another week now. This is a Bad Thing.
On the plus side, I'll see her in a week... and she's worth the wait :-*

« Reply #3857 on: 16 May, 2011, 12:50:34 pm »
on one have emailed to say that my new bike is in the post.

« Reply #3858 on: 16 May, 2011, 07:07:27 pm »

:thumbsup: What colour is it?

« Reply #3859 on: 16 May, 2011, 07:54:16 pm »

Red. I need all the extra speed I can get.  :)

« Reply #3860 on: 16 May, 2011, 08:06:57 pm »

All the best bikes are Red. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #3861 on: 16 May, 2011, 08:14:02 pm »

All the best bikes are Red. ;D

Maybe not quite that red.  :)

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #3862 on: 16 May, 2011, 08:20:57 pm »

He told us about how at Pride 1987 he was booed on stage because he was with a woman and how happy he was that 10 years later at Pride 1997 he was invited to sing at the bisexual tend

;)
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #3863 on: 17 May, 2011, 01:14:25 pm »
There's a really big building project on our route to work, on a no through road that is heavily used by kids walking to 3 local schools and cyclists.  It's been going on for months, and will continue for moonths more.  I go along the road that goes through the middle of all the building work pretty much every day, often several times a day, either on my bike or walking, sometimes with a Cub or two in tow and sometimes on my own.  They are making a right mess of the road surface, and often have bits of the pavement fenced off where they are working, and often there are big trucks delivering and heavy equipment in the road and so on.

However....

The other day as I walked down there with a pushchair, one of the workers had parked a van up half on the pavement and I had to walk in the road.  Round the corner, I called through the fence at one of the blokes working and asked if they could get it moved as there wasn't space to get by on the pavement and the pavement on the other side of the road was fence off.  They apologised, and said they'd get it sorted.  10 minutes later when I walked back that way it had moved.  It's the only time I've ever seen a vehicle parked in an obstructive way on site.

Today, walking down that road, someone was reversing a JCB out of a gateway into the site so I stopped well back.  So did he, and said good morning, and waved me past.  And waited til I was completely past the back of his vehicle before carefully continuing his manouevre.  Every time I go that way and the workers are moving vehicles about they have shown proper awareness of and consideration for cyclists and pedestrians.

And, even though I'm a fat ginger bird with big tits, the buiders have confounded stereotype, and the only thing they've have ever called out is 'Good morning' or 'Hi' or 'Lovely day, isn't it?' apart from the one time that they offered SmallestCub a look in the cab of the JCB.  Walking past that building site is a nice part of my day.

Hurray!

« Reply #3864 on: 17 May, 2011, 01:32:30 pm »
Once as we tandemned round the back of Summertown (Oxford) my wife wearing a nice little pair of shorts, a roofer burst into song, "all I want to do is make love to you", I shouted up to him "I hope your not referring to me (bearded middle aged etc, you know my type), his smile was a treat to behold.
                                        ;D
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #3865 on: 17 May, 2011, 02:41:05 pm »
A problem sorted itself out today:

My previous motorbike insurer told me last week I'd have to send them my certificate of insurance before they would confirm my no claims bonus so I could pass this on to my current insurer. I had no chance of finding the certificate whatsoever, so had wondered how this would get sorted.

In the post today - recorded delivery, no less - was a request for said certificate AND they'd sent proof of no claims that I have duly passed on to new insurer just in time. Result!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3866 on: 17 May, 2011, 03:02:14 pm »
There's a really big building project on our route to work, on a no through road that is heavily used by kids walking to 3 local schools and cyclists.  It's been going on for months, and will continue for moonths more.  I go along the road that goes through the middle of all the building work pretty much every day, often several times a day, either on my bike or walking, sometimes with a Cub or two in tow and sometimes on my own.  They are making a right mess of the road surface, and often have bits of the pavement fenced off where they are working, and often there are big trucks delivering and heavy equipment in the road and so on.

However....

The other day as I walked down there with a pushchair, one of the workers had parked a van up half on the pavement and I had to walk in the road.  Round the corner, I called through the fence at one of the blokes working and asked if they could get it moved as there wasn't space to get by on the pavement and the pavement on the other side of the road was fence off.  They apologised, and said they'd get it sorted.  10 minutes later when I walked back that way it had moved.  It's the only time I've ever seen a vehicle parked in an obstructive way on site.

Today, walking down that road, someone was reversing a JCB out of a gateway into the site so I stopped well back.  So did he, and said good morning, and waved me past.  And waited til I was completely past the back of his vehicle before carefully continuing his manouevre.  Every time I go that way and the workers are moving vehicles about they have shown proper awareness of and consideration for cyclists and pedestrians.

And, even though I'm a fat ginger bird with big tits, the buiders have confounded stereotype, and the only thing they've have ever called out is 'Good morning' or 'Hi' or 'Lovely day, isn't it?' apart from the one time that they offered SmallestCub a look in the cab of the JCB.  Walking past that building site is a nice part of my day.

Hurray!
On the grounds that such behaviour is not only wonderful but fabulously rare and should be spread around like jam on a big slice of bread and butter, do they deserve a letter?

simonp

« Reply #3867 on: 17 May, 2011, 03:08:28 pm »
New office!

- quieter zircon
 - nice loos
 - lots of teh shiny
 - much nicer shower
 - with its own wash basin
 - new automatic caffeine dispenser (we campaigned for this)

but best of all...

- my very own locker!!!

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #3868 on: 17 May, 2011, 03:09:46 pm »

However....

Hurray!

One of the few memories I have of my childhood was a builder letting me sit in the cab of a JCB and telling me what the buttons and levers were for :thumbsup:
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3869 on: 17 May, 2011, 03:14:03 pm »

However....

Hurray!
On the grounds that such behaviour is not only wonderful but fabulously rare and should be spread around like jam on a big slice of bread and butter, do they deserve a letter?

Maybe a note to the considerate contractor scheme as well Welcome to The Considerate Constructors Scheme - home of the considerate builder
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3870 on: 17 May, 2011, 03:36:33 pm »

However....

Hurray!

One of the few memories I have of my childhood was a builder letting me sit in the cab of a JCB and telling me what the buttons and levers were for :thumbsup:
My friend's wife's ex-husband once let their son sit in the cab of a mini-digger he had doing something or other. Son, then about 4, managed to start it and make the scoop swing around violently, almost taking his father's head off!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3871 on: 17 May, 2011, 07:19:40 pm »
There's a really big building project on our route to work, on a no through road that is heavily used by kids walking to 3 local schools and cyclists.  It's been going on for months, and will continue for moonths more.

I'll post some business cards up to you so you can pass them onto the site manager ;)
mrs. jogler is not averse to relocating to York & neither am I if there's work there ;D

In a previous life I frequently attended sites at sparrowfart o'clock to supervise the use of large cranes to lift a/c equipment onto the roofs of buildings in town/city centres.My son ( a pre-teenager at the time) sometimes came too & on occassion the crane driver would allow him to assist in the cab with the necessary levers to jib-down & de-rig the crane.He wore a grin from ear to ear for a week.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3872 on: 17 May, 2011, 11:40:44 pm »
I'm getting myself a good rep in my field as someone who doesn't just moan about stupid techfail but if I can I'll FIX it and share my fixes with other practitioners.

The EHRC guidance on the Equality Act for post-16 education is a surprisingly readable and actually useful document for us. I'm half way through 80 pages and was able to send colleague direct quotes for a training session she's delivering tomorrow. 

I've been asked to do two hours of "teaching" of digital voice recorders and a piece of software called audio notetaker next month to some M.Ed students because they've been screwed over and my colleague thinks I've got the right mix of tech-fu and contextualisation of students' needs to do the job as she's helping them make up for being dicked about.   As the free class date is in my day off it's my free time to do as I wish so I don't have to ask anyone's permission!  :thumbsup:  CV material here I come.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #3873 on: 18 May, 2011, 08:06:19 am »
It's Wednesday it's Wednesday it's Wednesday.

robbo6

« Reply #3874 on: 18 May, 2011, 11:37:20 am »
My mill just needs a new fuse and not a complete motor.