Author Topic: Connecting an USB dynamo charger to a dynamo  (Read 5424 times)

Connecting an USB dynamo charger to a dynamo
« on: 29 September, 2019, 11:21:01 am »
My B&M Lumotec IQ-X has failed due what looks like water ingress (an all-too-common problem?), so I'm looking for a more reliable dynamo light + USB dynamo charger replacement.

I'm leaning towards a B&M USB-Werk at the moment (light TBC), but I have no idea how it works with a dynamo light. Is some cable splicing required to have the dynamo connected to both the light and the USB charger, and if so, how is switching between the two handled..? Or it it just a case of disconnecting and connecting the appropriate cable, as required..?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Connecting an USB dynamo charger to a dynamo
« Reply #1 on: 29 September, 2019, 03:19:45 pm »
If you're running off a Shimano dynamo you shove both USB-Werk & light cables into the plug. If you're running off a SON you need special piggyback spade clips like this: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lighting-spares/schmidt-cable-connector-noninsulated-48-mm-female-with-piggyback-connector-pack-of-20/

My USB-Werk & battery have had a couple of good drenchings - no problems.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 29 September, 2019, 03:44:39 pm »
Or you can do something neater with a connector of choice so that you can connect and disconnect the charger without interfering with the lighting wiring.

Either way, they just run in parallel.  If the lights are on at the same time as the charger's working, you get slightly less light and a lot less charge.

« Reply #3 on: 30 September, 2019, 11:43:12 am »
Ah, I see... Presumably the cable from the hub can be split any any point (piggy back clips at the light, for instance)? I'd rather not have that level of clip and cable  complication at the SON hub itself.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 30 September, 2019, 01:35:05 pm »
Ah, I see... Presumably the cable from the hub can be split any any point (piggy back clips at the light, for instance)? I'd rather not have that level of clip and cable  complication at the SON hub itself.

Yeah, absolutely.  On my tourer, I have the cable run from the hub, splitting at a female Tamiya connector at the lowrider rack, up to a switch at the handlebars (because the IQ-X switch fault isn't funny on a recumbent), and then along the boom to the front light.  My E-Werk lives safely in one of the front panniers with whatever it's charging, with the input cable terminating in a male Tamiya emerging from the pannier.

« Reply #5 on: 30 September, 2019, 02:08:51 pm »
You kind of have to live with joining them at the hub if you go for a light with a captive cable (like the otherwise excellent Edelux 2).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 30 September, 2019, 02:12:15 pm »
You kind of have to live with joining them at the hub if you go for a light with a captive cable (like the otherwise excellent Edelux 2).

Only if you run the full length of that captive cable to the hub.

« Reply #7 on: 08 October, 2019, 06:08:18 pm »
For an conventional upright, put the joint up inside the steerer above the mudguard bolt with a plastic wine cork and a few cable ties or helicopter tape to hold cables in place.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 08 October, 2019, 06:19:57 pm »
Or do something like this:

The joint is in the back of the female Tamiya connector.  Charger plugs in with a male Tamiya when needed.  Tamiya connectors are non-shorting when wet, and dry out quickly - I've done thousands of miles (mostly without anything plugged in) on two bikes with this sort of arrangement without any problems.  Everything's nicely secured to the bracket for strain relief.  The inline spade connectors to the right are the cable to the rear light.

Connecting an USB dynamo charger to a dynamo
« Reply #9 on: 13 October, 2019, 02:14:10 pm »
While piggyback spade connectors do the trick, I’m not crazy about this arrangement. I can rewire to tidy things up and move this lump of plugs out of sight, but it still strikes me as a bodge.

Is there some compact junction box-type component that would provide a more elegant solution for a permanent three-way connection (dynamo, front light and USB adapter)..? I’m fairly clueless about options here and am not sure what to look for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 13 October, 2019, 05:26:56 pm »
Personally I'd solder and heatshrink.  But a Wago connector might do the trick.  Not sure how they handle getting wet.

« Reply #11 on: 14 October, 2019, 05:18:26 am »
SON have recently, or it's recently come to me attention, started doing a range of connectors that are not of the spade type.
https://nabendynamo.de/en/products/wiring/
My recent Edelux light came fitted with one and it's a lot nicer to connect than the traditional fitting.  I think it's probably the neatest way to split a cable and possibly the most expensive.  Though whatever you do it still looks like a lot wiring.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #12 on: 14 October, 2019, 06:51:52 am »
SON have recently, or it's recently come to me attention, started doing a range of connectors that are not of the spade type.
My recent Edelux light came fitted with one and it's a lot nicer to connect than the traditional fitting.  I think it's probably the neatest way to split a cable and possibly the most expensive.  Though whatever you do it still looks like a lot wiring.

My USB-Werk came with those screw connectors. It also came with a cable with screw connector on one end, and bare wires on the other. I shoved that into the lego block connector of the Shimano Dynamo. It's currently not mounted on the bike and the screw connector is just cable tied to the Di2 ratsnest on the handlebars. It's had several good soakings and hasn't seemed to effect the performance of the Dynamo or the hub. Wish they may an inline switch tho, there's no mechanism to turn off the usb-werk. If you're charging and want your lights on at the same time, both are slightly hindered.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13 on: 14 October, 2019, 08:58:44 am »
This thread reminded me that I haven't used my B&M buffer battery since PBP 2015.  Visions of totally dead pricey Li-ion triggered adrenalin flow and crushing shame until I got the thing out and read NiMH on the destructions. Still developing 5.12v after 4 years on the shelf.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #14 on: 14 October, 2019, 10:37:14 am »

So the SON Coaxial Junction Box with coaxial connector Male appears to provide a coax connector to the dynamo and a hard-wired connection (inside the junction box) to the light, with a separate coax connection splitting off for a USB charger. That still leaves the rear dynamo light connection dangling somewhere, but it looks neater than a tangle of crimp connectors.

Filling the junction box with hot glue (as SON recommends) makes it a spendy use-once option, though, and not hugely different from just soldering the wires and heatshrinking them – just without the option to disconnect the USB charger at that end.

« Reply #15 on: 14 October, 2019, 10:52:01 am »
But a Wago connector might do the trick.  Not sure how they handle getting wet.

I've just acquired two pole connectors like these for that purpose - which aren't a clone of a product Wago actually makes, they're a Chinese factory innovation. Mainly because trying to shove two pairs of wires into a Shimano lego brick has never lasted very long.

Mine are translucent and it looks like there's potential for water to pool inside. I might drill some holes in them.

« Reply #16 on: 14 October, 2019, 12:42:52 pm »

My USB-Werk came with those screw connectors. J
I don't know which connectors you're referring to, the SON one I have is push fit.

« Reply #17 on: 14 October, 2019, 12:48:24 pm »
Filling the junction box with hot glue (as SON recommends) makes it a spendy use-once option, though, and not hugely different from just soldering the wires and heatshrinking them – just without the option to disconnect the USB charger at that end.
Yes, if you can do away with the need to disconnect the charger then the neatest job would be as you suggest.  Thanks for the PW link, which led me to look at the Supernova connectors, I hadn't looked there recently, it is an excellent source of info on all things dynamo. That it's one use doesn't bother me,  it's going to last the lifetime of he light, which will do me fine.

« Reply #18 on: 22 October, 2019, 02:12:41 pm »
Why would you want to disconnect the "USB WERK"?
Just unplug the USB cable.

P.S.
Does anyone know where to get a waterproof cover for the USB port/connector on the USB WERK?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #19 on: 22 October, 2019, 03:56:35 pm »

So the SON Coaxial Junction Box with coaxial connector Male appears to provide a coax connector to the dynamo and a hard-wired connection (inside the junction box) to the light, with a separate coax connection splitting off for a USB charger. That still leaves the rear dynamo light connection dangling somewhere, but it looks neater than a tangle of crimp connectors.

Filling the junction box with hot glue (as SON recommends) makes it a spendy use-once option, though, and not hugely different from just soldering the wires and heatshrinking them – just without the option to disconnect the USB charger at that end.

The splitter box has 1 pass through cable and 1 socket.
You run the light through the box and plug the charging device into the socket on the box.

Ok it's not a box its a cuboid but...

What else I will say is I'm rubbish at soldering and those connectors need you to be good at soldering.

The other advantage you get is that the Co-Ax connector with the spade conversion block is much easier to remove from your front hub than the spades.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20 on: 22 October, 2019, 05:47:39 pm »

Starter for 10:  So it doesn't get nicked.

Also, because you only need it for a handful of rides a year, so why have it on the bike the rest of the time?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #21 on: 22 October, 2019, 11:37:50 pm »

Starter for 10:  So it doesn't get nicked.

Also, because you only need it for a handful of rides a year, so why have it on the bike the rest of the time?

More over, the battery within the device has a limited number of cycles in it's life. No point having them wasted commuting to work...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #22 on: 24 October, 2019, 01:44:55 pm »
Does anyone know where to get a waterproof cover for the USB port/connector on the USB WERK?
I doubt that there will be one.
The circular plugs are waterproof, but USB ports aren't.

You could look for a USB-A socket on a long lead to a round plug, or a round plug to round socket extension lead, that would allow putting the socket in a handlebar bag.
An extension is part of the e-Werk cable set (£21). I've not seen it separately, but I've not looked.

Alternatively, get a length of inner tube that's fat enough to accommodate the socket, put the lead through it so the USB socket is recessed inside by about an inch from the end, then zip tie it to your head tube, folded over in the middle so both ends are downwards.
Should be pretty rainproof so long as you use mudguards. An advantage of this is that any water that does make it into the socket will dry off fairly quickly. The same can't be said for an attempted waterproof cover that's leaked.
If you don't have any dead tubes that are fat enough, Poundland sells inner tubes that were fat enough for my Igaro D2.

« Reply #23 on: 25 October, 2019, 10:13:03 am »
In terms of lights that incorporate USB charging the Axa Luxx 70 plus continues to perform extremely well for me after extensive use over quite a few years, even surviving a full submersion following a canal path off :o  I use it in conjunction with a pass through charging powerbank with the light itself mounted on a handlebar extension giving easy access to switch between modes.
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #24 on: 25 October, 2019, 11:47:39 am »
I doubt that there will be one.
The circular plugs are waterproof, but USB ports aren't.

You could look for a USB-A socket on a long lead to a round plug, or a round plug to round socket extension lead, that would allow putting the socket in a handlebar bag.
An extension is part of the e-Werk cable set (£21). I've not seen it separately, but I've not looked.

Alternatively, get a length of inner tube that's fat enough to accommodate the socket, put the lead through it so the USB socket is recessed inside by about an inch from the end, then zip tie it to your head tube, folded over in the middle so both ends are downwards.
Should be pretty rainproof so long as you use mudguards. An advantage of this is that any water that does make it into the socket will dry off fairly quickly. The same can't be said for an attempted waterproof cover that's leaked.
If you don't have any dead tubes that are fat enough, Poundland sells inner tubes that were fat enough for my Igaro D2.

You get a cover for the USB-Werk side of the splash proof connectors; however if you have luggage on your bike, it's easier to leave the USB end on and stuff it into said luggage.