Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 473110 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #2675 on: 24 September, 2020, 09:37:45 pm »
Latest is a marked improvement IMHO in terms of content and the design/layout  :thumbsup: 
Hoe yesssss! /Churchilldog

I've only briefly flicked through*, and 3 articles jumped out - all brilliant:
- Mille Cymru, and the horror that was The Pembrokeshire Coast Leg
- Roadkill (what more needs to be said?)
- Mental health, goals and failure. Great article El, audacious to submit it  :thumbsup:

Thankyou to all 3 writers, and of course to the production team.
I'm sure there are other good bits, I just haven't got to them yet.

*Delayed by a long weekend in the Welsh Hills  :)

I quite like riding in Pembrokeshire.  I've had biblical experiences there.  And got lost on my own permanent.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #2676 on: 27 September, 2020, 07:34:56 pm »
The next issue is already in the planning stage.

Unsurprisingly, we're not seeing the usual number of calendar ride reports but we could really do with some accounts of riding perms and limited calendar-style events since we were able to partially lift the suspension. How has it felt?  What have been the challenging aspects and what else can AUK or organisers do to help?  What other rides have you been doing in the absence of calendar events?

Also, it would be good to have some more philosophical or reflective pieces and practical advice (where do we go from 'how to cook your roadkill?').  And photos. More and more high resolution photos, please.

As always, contributions to gedlennox@me.com

Tx

Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2677 on: 27 September, 2020, 09:07:31 pm »
I'm trying to work out if I can use my boss randomly saying "At the start of lockdown my daughter could hardly walk, now she can go for miles" in the office the other day, the reason for wondering if I can use it is because my repose was "I recognise that, I could hardly walk at the start of lockdown and I'm back up to riding 400k" hm...

« Reply #2678 on: 11 October, 2020, 07:34:47 pm »
Inspired by Arrivee, today I returned home with a still warm pheasant:)

« Reply #2679 on: 08 December, 2020, 12:39:23 pm »
Arrivée est arrivé!
Congratulations to the editor and all who've contributed, articles and otherwise.
Quality account of the SW England's Moors Super Randonnée (a hilly 600 in the soft south) from one OTP.
https://www.openrunner.com/r/11218809
Edit [thank you Matt] https://www.openrunner.com/r/11725919
https://perms.audax.uk/?eventId=8688

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2680 on: 08 December, 2020, 05:29:01 pm »
... Quality account of the SW England's Moors Super Randonnée (a hilly 600 in the soft south) from one OTP.

Openrunner made me register, and then gave: "This route does not exist."
 :facepalm:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2681 on: 08 December, 2020, 05:41:25 pm »
Is there an opt out for it. I never read it to be honest.

« Reply #2682 on: 08 December, 2020, 05:45:20 pm »
... Quality account of the SW England's Moors Super Randonnée (a hilly 600 in the soft south) from one OTP.

https://www.openrunner.com/r/11725919

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #2683 on: 08 December, 2020, 05:51:26 pm »
There is (but no reduction in membership fees) - you can go to your membership details and tick the box to opt out. This is taken into account each time I compile the mailing list so it can be used for a long term opt-out, or a short term one (eg going away for a while and just want to skip one issue).
It used to need the opt-outer to write to me and then I had to manually remove people from the mailing list, but now it's a property of your membership record which makes it much easier.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2684 on: 08 December, 2020, 06:11:05 pm »

https://www.openrunner.com/r/11725919
Ah OK, that works.

Cool - always fancied visiting Clermont-Ferrand :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2685 on: 08 December, 2020, 09:15:05 pm »
Good to see the launch of eBrevets announced on page 6.  This is the future!  I've tested it on several of my Perms and it saves all the messing about with till receipts, or worrying about the garmin batteries.  Now available for all the Wigley Perms Wigley Perms, or at least the ones that are currently permitted.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2686 on: 08 December, 2020, 11:11:11 pm »

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2687 on: 09 December, 2020, 01:26:28 am »
Good to see the launch of eBrevets announced on page 6.  This is the future!  I've tested it on several of my Perms and it saves all the messing about with till receipts, or worrying about the garmin batteries.  Now available for all the Wigley Perms Wigley Perms, or at least the ones that are currently permitted.
Does it work on a Nokia 6610?
Bikes are for escaping non-dumb phones.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2688 on: 09 December, 2020, 10:40:21 am »
Does it work on a Nokia 6610?
Bikes are for escaping non-dumb phones.

Amen.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #2689 on: 09 December, 2020, 10:53:39 am »
Non-dumb phones can easily be dumbed down by putting them in airplane mode. As a bonus: the battery lasts longer.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2690 on: 09 December, 2020, 11:19:56 am »
Non-dumb phones can easily be dumbed down by putting them in airplane mode. As a bonus: the battery lasts longer.
Doesn't stop all the applications working; airplane mode is like a laptop out of wireless range, it doesn't stop you doing all your work!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #2691 on: 09 December, 2020, 11:30:11 am »
And E-Brevet works fine on airplane mode  (except for the downloading and uploading, but that is before and after you ride)

Grandad

• Once upon a time
« Reply #2692 on: 11 December, 2020, 10:45:45 pm »
Good to see the launch of eBrevets announced on page 6.
Also good to see the article on eBikes. I'm sure that a separate category - up tp200k?  - would be of interest to many.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2693 on: 12 December, 2020, 10:24:09 am »
My magazine arrived at the same time as my AUK buff  :thumbsup:

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #2694 on: 12 December, 2020, 07:05:30 pm »
Good to see the launch of eBrevets announced on page 6.
Also good to see the article on eBikes. I'm sure that a separate category - up tp200k?  - would be of interest to many.

Yes, why not... 2020 has rewritten the rulebooks and the world is changing fast, why not having a separate category for ebikes?

The Rapha Festive 500 now can be done on Zwift from the comfort of your living room, so anything is possible

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2695 on: 12 December, 2020, 07:09:12 pm »
The Rapha Festive 500 now can be done on Zwift from the comfort of your living room, so anything is possible

That takes all the spirit out of it...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #2696 on: 12 December, 2020, 07:14:20 pm »
There is (but no reduction in membership fees) - you can go to your membership details and tick the box to opt out. This is taken into account each time I compile the mailing list so it can be used for a long term opt-out, or a short term one (eg going away for a while and just want to skip one issue).
It used to need the opt-outer to write to me and then I had to manually remove people from the mailing list, but now it's a property of your membership record which makes it much easier.

Sorted  :thumbsup:  Thanks

« Reply #2697 on: 12 December, 2020, 08:25:34 pm »

That takes all the spirit out of it...

Don't worry, if you do it in Zwift they won't send you a badge.

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #2698 on: 13 December, 2020, 07:33:22 am »
Don't worry, if you do it in Zwift they won't send you a badge.

They don't send out badges anymore, zwift or road... the reason to allow indoor cycling is the various restrictions around the world due to Covid, but the reality is that once you've allowed it once, they won't go back, which is a shame of course, but ultimately Rapha want to sell clothes and they clearly don't care if you buy a winter jacket or a pair of shorts to use on the turbo

« Reply #2699 on: 13 December, 2020, 08:37:54 am »
It’s not just Zwift , they will allow any indoor trainer app, as long as it talks with Strava.  So you could set, say a -5% slope, and complete the challenge in about 7 hours.