Author Topic: Group Perms  (Read 3863 times)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Group Perms
« on: 16 March, 2011, 07:23:45 pm »
There have been several references lately to something called a 'group perm'.  

Questions in no particular order: What is a Group Perm? How do GPs fit into the family of AUK events?  How will GPs be administered? Will GPs require a change to AUK regs?

Re: Group Perms
« Reply #1 on: 16 March, 2011, 07:55:13 pm »
I've never participated in one (too slow!) but my understanding is that it's merely a group of riders doing a Permanent or a DIY simultaneously. Each rider follows the same procedure for the Permanent or DIY as they would if they were riding solo i.e. each person enters/gets their own Brevet, etc. as normal. They just agree informally amongst themselves to synchronise their rides. It may not necessarily mean sticking together all the way around, or even starting together, as some riders might start at different points.

Nothing official about it; it all fits in the existing rules and procedures.

The interesting point, perhaps, is that with the advent of GPS validation, the creation of DIY rides is easier, not least because there's no need to hunt out controls which deliver usable till receipts, nor to create routesheets; one person can create the ride and pass copies of the GPS track/route to the others (always assuming everyone uses a GPS of course, or agrees always to stick together on the ride.)

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #2 on: 16 March, 2011, 08:02:45 pm »
What I  did for my 600 last year. Wheelsucked Toothgrinder round East Anglia as he knew where he was going and I  didn't have a clue.
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #3 on: 16 March, 2011, 08:13:14 pm »
The Not The Midhurst 1,000 in summer next year is onesuch. The route already worked out yonks ago, just a simple matter of people acquiring the brevet from the organiser and starting at the same place at the same time.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

AndyH

« Reply #4 on: 16 March, 2011, 09:13:20 pm »
I've done a couple - last September's YACF 600 with Teethgrinder, Rich Forest & co (12 months after Julesh), and a Denmead 200 with Postie & pals. No discernible difference to an X rated event. Making these easier as suggested by Danial  elsewhere seems sensible to me.

Martin

« Reply #5 on: 16 March, 2011, 09:27:55 pm »
most of us have done perms in the company of other riders; but no idea what a Group Perm is per se;

maybe it's like a GroupSave; 2 pay 4 ride  :)

« Reply #6 on: 16 March, 2011, 10:18:51 pm »
When Mike Wigley called Winter Solstice off because of bad weather in December last year, he reorganised it for a few days later, pretty much as an X-rated event.  About 10 of us turned up and did the ride at our own pace, i.e. not in a bunch.  The results show this as a perm.  Don't know where this would fit in OP wise, but I do remember making one of my spectacular seven mile detours when only quarter of an hour from the finish!

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #7 on: 16 March, 2011, 11:09:33 pm »
We organise a number of what you could call group perms using YACF - they aren't a new form of AUK event.  What happens is someone posts on here to say, "anyone fancy riding The Old Choo Choo 200 on such and such as date?" and then people express an interest.  It's then up to people to enter the ride and get a brevet card and we all agree to meet at a certain place at a certain time. 

As a rule we only pull these together on dates when there are no events being run in our region. To me it's a way of getting the miles in and a chance to ride a variety of perms with company.  I also find them to much more sociable than calendar events as everyone tends to stick together as we go round.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 16 March, 2011, 11:14:46 pm »
Last summer I rode a 200k in Manotea's company. He was riding a 600, and Rider#3 was riding 2x200k (but on the same 600k route).

Which probably raises more questions than answers ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #9 on: 17 March, 2011, 06:41:31 am »
Last summer I rode a 200k in Manotea's company. He was riding a 600, and Rider#3 was riding 2x200k (but on the same 600k route).

Like why you appear to have forgotten who I am?  :P

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10 on: 17 March, 2011, 03:01:15 pm »

Like why you appear to have forgotten who I am?  :P
I thought you might have been embarassed at your involvement in the whole sorry mess!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles