Author Topic: Cotswold Corker 12.02.11  (Read 3814 times)

Cotswold Corker 12.02.11
« on: 10 February, 2011, 01:34:32 pm »
If anyone wants a Garmin .crs file you can PM me with your e mail address and I'll send you one.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
cotswold corker
« Reply #1 on: 11 February, 2011, 10:22:30 pm »
Good luck to everyone riding the Corker tomorrow. But for a broken wrist I'd be with you in person but will be there in spirit for all those battling up that little hill at the start!
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

border-rider

Re: Cotswold Corker 12.02.11
« Reply #2 on: 12 February, 2011, 06:29:00 pm »
Lovely day out.  Quite the best weather of any I've ridden: it's been sunny before but icy.  No ice today, just sunshine and fine views- and lots of riders.  Felt quite PBP ish in a way - if you waited a minute another group would co0me by.  Most sociable; that's one thing I do like about this ride, that you can chat to all sorts of new people and to old friends too.

« Reply #3 on: 12 February, 2011, 07:41:05 pm »
Cotswold Corker + fixed (not me) = respec'.

Hilcot Woods, descent, trying to avoid big pothole, can't dodge mud, off. >:(

Top weather though.

« Reply #4 on: 13 February, 2011, 08:36:35 am »
It really is a great route but surely there has to be a way of avoiding those woods. I had to stop twice to declog my mudguards and all the worst roads are through there. Small winge over and we were so lucky with the weather yesterday.

I walked in the same places as the last time I rode it (Bushcombe Lane and Oakridge), I thought my triple would be enough but seems I still have some weight to lose despite 1 stone going since New Year.

border-rider

« Reply #5 on: 13 February, 2011, 09:28:55 am »
I liked the woods, but then I was riding 26x1.75 tyres with loads of clearance. 

The roads this year  were about the cleanest I've ever seen them; the woods around Hilcot in the past have been rim-deep in gloop.

« Reply #6 on: 13 February, 2011, 10:07:17 am »
I liked the woods, but then I was riding 26x1.75 tyres with loads of clearance. 

The roads this year  were about the cleanest I've ever seen them; the woods around Hilcot in the past have been rim-deep in gloop.

Each to his own but I like riding my road bike on roads. That was no road, more like a broken up track. Certainly a good test for my Bontrager Hard Cases which they passed with flying colours.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #7 on: 13 February, 2011, 10:10:31 am »
It really is a great route but surely there has to be a way of avoiding those woods. I had to stop twice to declog my mudguards and all the worst roads are through there. I walked in the same places as the last time I rode it (Bushcombe Lane and Oakridge), I thought my triple would be enough but seems I still have some weight to lose despite 1 stone going since New Year.

Instead of TR $ Caudle Green you can stay $ Brimpsfield.  But then you might need my Perm version of Corker to return to Sean's track in the Lower Hilcot gulch - I miss the worst of the crud but still take you up the long valley to the radio mast.  And my route also misses the Oakridge Wall by dropping to Daneway from Sapperton and easier climbing (more steppy) to Bisley. Also, a route to Calmsden via Colns St Dennis and Rogers. Only 1.75AAA (rather than 2) but many (ask Mrs Black Sheep) rave the Perm. I suppose you could always miss Bushcombe by using Gambles Lane or Stockwell Lane or the A4632 to Cleeve Hill summit but then you miss what the Corker is all about!  There is a huge amount of great Cotswolds country up there on the 2 routes.  And the Perm is available in mid-summer when it is shorts and sunnies.

Commis to Di Sisti. I rode my fav 20yo rigid MTB with slicks.  Perfect for the hills (both ways) and control through the mud.

But I cannot match Sean's fantastic Organisation.  Our Club folk and the local ATC at the Village Halls provided just the right foods at the right times.  Great and roll on CC24.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

border-rider

« Reply #8 on: 13 February, 2011, 10:18:49 am »
Sean's fantastic Organisation. 

+1

It all just happens smoothly, which with that many riders on an early-season 100 is quite an achievement.

StephenR

• Boooom Blast & Ruin
« Reply #9 on: 13 February, 2011, 10:24:40 am »
Well that was the warmest Corker so far and took my hat and gloves off half way round as I was too warm.

Almost got taken out by a deer crossing the road at the top of the second climb.

The mud at Hilcot was bad but not half as bad as previous years.
Big thanks to Sean and all his helpers for a great ride, my second corker this year and will be riding another on the 24th of Feb with  my mate John who was working and missed today's ride.
The land at the end of our toes it goes on and on and on and on

« Reply #10 on: 13 February, 2011, 11:16:08 am »
Well that was the warmest Corker so far and took my hat and gloves off half way round as I was too warm.
There was one about 15 years ago that was shorts and short sleeves weather.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #11 on: 13 February, 2011, 02:19:03 pm »
my second corker this year and will be riding another on the 24th of Feb with my my mate John who was working and missed today's ride.
Are you just riding a Private Corker or do you want to book a Perm?  You earn 1.75AAAs for a Perm and miss most of the mud!
SteveP

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #12 on: 13 February, 2011, 02:21:31 pm »
There was one about 15 years ago that was shorts and short sleeves weather.
That could be 1998 when I rattled round in an unmentionable (for Audax) sub-6hr time and was second home.
SteveP

« Reply #13 on: 13 February, 2011, 03:25:20 pm »
I understand that removing certain sections would probably take away what has probably become a key feature of the ride and most people wouldn't hear of it but I just don't enjoy those conditions. I have ridden the event once before but don't remember it being so bad before.

And yes, you're right, the organisation was great, would be remiss not mention it.

Thanks Sean.

border-rider

« Reply #14 on: 13 February, 2011, 03:29:10 pm »
I dunno; of the 10 or 11 times I've ridden it I reckon yesterday's probably had the cleanest roads, and some of the potholed bits had been resurfaced since last year.

I don't usually do audaxs on a mountain bike...

« Reply #15 on: 13 February, 2011, 04:45:27 pm »
................... I reckon yesterday's probably had the cleanest roads, and some of the potholed bits had been resurfaced since last year.

+1

Although there was an ammount of rain in the Cotswolds on Friday night, this meant most potholes were disgiused as puddles. The route was unusually free of gravel patches.

I think one of the problems with the mud was it was extremely sticky, had the rain been heavier and longer, mudguards would have washed themselves clean. But then everyone would have resembled mud-monsters by the time they got to Northleach.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Simonb

« Reply #16 on: 13 February, 2011, 04:53:19 pm »
I was in Bishops Cleeve yesterday for a wedding -- thought I'd spotted a few likely Audaxers driving home on the A40. Lovely day for it indeed!

StephenR

• Boooom Blast & Ruin
« Reply #17 on: 13 February, 2011, 04:57:41 pm »
my second corker this year and will be riding another on the 24th of Feb with my my mate John who was working and missed today's ride.
Are you just riding a Private Corker or do you want to book a Perm?  You earn 1.75AAAs for a Perm and miss most of the mud!
I already have a card, rode the first one on the 2nd of Jan. Might be up for the Super Corker later in the year. Rode it last year and really enjoyed it.
The land at the end of our toes it goes on and on and on and on

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #18 on: 13 February, 2011, 08:45:56 pm »
But what really annoyed me was when I turned on the telly from my sickbed to find there was a James Bond film on, only to be greeted by George Bally Lazenby  >:(

Bond aficionados often cite OHMSS as the best film.  Philistine.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #19 on: 13 February, 2011, 08:54:53 pm »
It's jolly excrable  >:(

« Reply #20 on: 17 February, 2011, 09:20:01 pm »
A few reminders of an excellent day out ...

Rolling out of the gates at Zurich Financial Services in Bishop's Cleeve - something of a 'mass' start by AUK standards:

Walking up Bushcombe Lane (max 25% gradient) within 3 km of the start:

Nearing the top of Sudeley Castle Hill, with Winchcombe below:

An interesting course for the trike:

My partner Rachel smiling on the climb:

Sun is low at the finish at Woodmancote Village Hall (thank goodness no times are published):

Thanks to everyone involved in organising this: we enjoyed very efficient service at the start, finish and three full controls. And thanks to 3peaker (I think?) who showed us the best route back to Cheltenham at the end.

« Reply #21 on: 17 February, 2011, 09:22:32 pm »
I meant to add to the previous post that my write-up of the ride is now published here:

http://www.cyclingcouncillor.com/index.asp?PageID=80

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #22 on: 17 February, 2011, 11:59:28 pm »
Q: And thanks to 3peaker (I think?) who showed us the best route back to Cheltenham at the end.

A: Yes 'Twas I.  Good to meet you and nice report and phots. And yes, the 20yo MTB with Slicks was quite deliberate. I have also done the Corker on Trike but the fun does run out.  The Perm is a fine route too and Bushcombe a quieter place.
SteveP