Author Topic: Hand cranked 'bent  (Read 3617 times)

Re: Hand cranked 'bent
« Reply #1 on: 08 July, 2008, 01:35:32 pm »
Interesting, hand cranked trikes aren't that uncommon, but I'm curious about the "GOVT. PROPERTY" bit, I wonder which Government?
Actually, it is rocket science.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 08 July, 2008, 01:37:28 pm »
Possibly Indian.  Such things can sometimes be seen over there, ridden (cranked?) by paraplegics.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #3 on: 08 July, 2008, 01:39:49 pm »
I should think you would be paraplegic after any amount of time on that seat, if you weren't before. :o
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #4 on: 08 July, 2008, 01:42:49 pm »
I've seen one in Italy when was I skiing. I wasn't actually skiing at the time but staring out from a bar overlooking the snow and saw this guy go past hand cranking away - the cranks were side by side if that makes? so both hands were in the same position [ a bit like power cranks can be used ]. The prospect of using a 'bent in the alps just seems mad, coupled with a hand cranked one too...

It's a strange looking thing to be sure.  As you say TimO - Govt Prop. is odd.
A shitter and a giggler.

« Reply #5 on: 08 July, 2008, 01:47:33 pm »
There used to be a guy in Cheltenham who had one, I saw it quite often, but he always seemed to be going in the opposite direction, so I never got to chat to him.  He moved along at a fair pace, the equal of most good cyclists.

If I remember correctly, the arms can provide almost as much energy as the legs, so someone on a hand cranked cycle is not significantly worse off than a pedal powered vehicle.

What doesn't work is trying to simultaneously arm and pedal power a cycle.  The human body can't provide enough energy to do both, so the additional energy gained is more than compensated for by the additional mechanical weight, ie you tend to find it makes things harder!

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #6 on: 08 July, 2008, 02:08:53 pm »
The cranks do seem odd as most ones that I've seen have the cranks in the same position
There's some riders that go along to the BHPC races a lot, and one handcycle rider in the Sebring 24hr TT this year did over 500km .
And not forgeting our own member handcyclist who goes along at a good pace himself.

Rich.

« Reply #7 on: 08 July, 2008, 04:25:09 pm »
The cranks do seem odd as most ones that I've seen have the cranks in the same position

That's true, but looking at the images, it's a cottered crank, so you could easily remove one side and refit it so that they are in phase rather than 180° apart.

The auction has a starting price of £99.99 and no one has bid yet, which doesn't surprise me, since it looks like it needs a fair bit of TLC, so the price seems a bit optimistic.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #8 on: 08 July, 2008, 08:40:30 pm »
From a non-cycling friend of mine:

it's a Ministry of Health supplied precursor to the 3 wheeled blue invacars that are now superseded by proper cars supplied under the mobility scheme

She also says the seat has been modified as they originally had high backs.  Some even had pram stylee hoods/covers.  Originally supplied to disabled servicemen.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #9 on: 08 July, 2008, 09:42:05 pm »
Ah, so strictly speaking they are trying to sell UK government property then, isn't than an offence?

Somehow I suspect the NHS isn't going to chase him up to return it! ;D

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #10 on: 09 July, 2008, 02:08:18 pm »
There's some riders that go along to the BHPC races a lot, and one handcycle rider in the Sebring 24hr TT this year did over 500km .
And not forgeting our own member handcyclist who goes along at a good pace himself.

Rich.

Thanks for the complement Rich! I can crack on at a reasonable pace on the flat, and I'm bloody quick downhill,  but uphill needs low gearing and my speed drops considerably compared to leg powered cycling - I guess it's all to do with relative muscle size between arms and legs.

The trike on Ebay is about as related to a modern handcycle as a 19th century Raleigh is to a Seven titanium racer. Have a look at a Quickie Shark S or a Freedom Ryder LC-1 to see the difference.

The 'standard' hand crank is now in phase, with upright 'handles' that rotate around an axle at the end of the crank. This arrangement avoids twisting the back, which is uncomfortable at high cadence.

One exception is the One-off titanium offroad trike, but that is not a true recumbent - the rider lies prone forwards, steering with a chest plate. The handles are 180 degrees out of phase. I guess the idea is to provide more consistent torque at low revs for use on surfaces with poor traction. The skill and fitness of some of the riders who race these is truly awesome.

Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

« Reply #11 on: 17 July, 2008, 05:59:14 pm »
What doesn't work is trying to simultaneously arm and pedal power a cycle.  The human body can't provide enough energy to do both...

Explains why I die within 3 minutes on a rowing machine ::-)

byegad

« Reply #12 on: 23 August, 2008, 08:04:49 pm »
It looks like the invalid carriages I used to see in the 1950s. The seat has been removed and IIRC the original had a pram style roof which could be put up in the wet. SERIOUSLY heavy, they used to be pedalled at walking pace on the pavements and roads. I think they were issued to war invalids of the first world war so by the time I was around to see them the users were all old men, at least to my child's eyes