Author Topic: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen  (Read 646302 times)

Re: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen
« Reply #1750 on: 23 October, 2013, 09:40:25 am »

Genuine courier.  Snapped with the sun in my eyes, so sorry I clipped the front wheel.

P9170306 by TJ Clarion, on Flickr

Is it my eyesight or is the front brake missing a brake pad?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1751 on: 23 October, 2013, 09:42:36 am »
I believe it was missing two.
Getting there...

« Reply #1752 on: 23 October, 2013, 11:25:54 am »
Genuine courier.  Snapped with the sun in my eyes, so sorry I clipped the front wheel.

Identical, apart from flat bars, to the bike I followed through Ely yesterday...

...except it was single speed, not fixed.  ::-)
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1753 on: 27 October, 2013, 11:32:24 pm »
A Specialized hybrid/mtb/trecking type bike, quite nice with dynamo hub and lights to suit - and an adjustable stem set a couple of degrees off vertical and angled back towards the rider!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1754 on: 07 November, 2013, 10:51:47 am »
Sorry I didn't get a photo, but I spotted a first for me, and something I thought I might see sooner.  It was a customised Doris Bike.  The new 'owner' had replaced the handlebarswith something less upright and, of course, chromier.

I wonder how many have absconded from the scheme during the period.  I believe I saw something which indicated that losses were less than for Velib.
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1755 on: 10 November, 2013, 07:49:03 pm »
An unusual cargo bike at Kings Cross on Friday night.  Blurry photo, but it was dark, and someone stood in my way just as I was about to press the shutter (to be fair, it was a busy crossing), so I had to pan round.

PB081807 by TJ Clarion, on Flickr

Seemed to have a long front end, but I couldn't fathom the load carrying or steering arrangement
Getting there...

« Reply #1756 on: 10 November, 2013, 08:32:02 pm »
It looks as if it is something like the Filibus, only with a higher top tube.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1757 on: 10 November, 2013, 09:18:55 pm »
Yes, and yes.  Very much that sort of thing, though.
Getting there...

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #1758 on: 11 November, 2013, 04:16:54 am »
Most likely a Bilenky or an Omnium

« Reply #1759 on: 11 November, 2013, 06:37:12 am »
A half upright half recumbent tandem on Sunday grinding up Whitewall Bank towards Malton. The front half was conventional but rear half was recumbent with the stoker facing backwards.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1760 on: 11 November, 2013, 07:06:48 am »
Thanks, Gus.  Very much like one of those.
Getting there...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1761 on: 25 November, 2013, 11:33:58 pm »
No pic unfortunately, but today in Reigate a splendid child carrying bike. Big high rise handle bars with baby seat between them, facing the rider. Frame made of "substantial" tubing inna continental stylee.

Saw it again today in action.  Not only is there a baby seat between the bars, there's a child seat on the back. I told the woman riding it I really liked it and did a U turn to get a better look. I fear she may have thought I was some kind of stalker.  The bike had "Gemini" (I think) on the top tube.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1762 on: 26 November, 2013, 10:16:01 am »
There's a bloke with two daughters at my son's school who rides a Gemini. Or rather, used to, his girls are rather too big for it now - in fact they've both moved up to secondary school!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1763 on: 26 November, 2013, 03:03:21 pm »
I saw a rider on Great Dover Street with a child seat which had an extending, pram-style, rain cover.
Getting there...

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #1764 on: 30 November, 2013, 08:12:22 am »
I saw a cargobike about a month ago, I couldn't really figure out what brand it was.
Now I know :
<a href="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=79972861&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=79972861&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA</a>

Don't really know if I like the concept with tilting bikes.  :-\

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1765 on: 30 November, 2013, 02:13:17 pm »
I saw a cargobike about a month ago, I couldn't really figure out what brand it was.
Now I know :
<a href="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=79972861&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=79972861&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA</a>

Don't really know if I like the concept with tilting bikes.  :-\

It gives you the stability of a trike with the (intuitive to a bicyclist) handling and cornering dynamics of a bike.  They don't say whether the mechanism has a lock-out to give the balance advantage of a tricycle at low/zero speed - that would seem like an obvious feature to want in a cargo cycle.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1766 on: 30 November, 2013, 02:25:02 pm »
What effect is tilting going to have on a load that's liquid or granular? I haven't ridden a trike since I was about 5, which I guess is fairly typical, and can't really grok how any of it handles now. If it were a regular, upright, delta trike, then I'd know I was relearning something, if it were a tadpole I'd be wondering if it would handle in the same way as a delta, but if it were leaning then the bike-like-ness might be helpful or might totally double-cross-disconnect-confuse me.

« Reply #1767 on: 30 November, 2013, 02:37:14 pm »

P9170306 by TJ Clarion, on Flickr

Is it my eyesight or is the front brake missing a brake pad?
Judging by the angle of the cable outer, i suspect the inner isn't connected anything.
Sorry.
Bit late to this thread.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1768 on: 30 November, 2013, 03:52:15 pm »
What effect is tilting going to have on a load that's liquid or granular?

It'll be less inclined to slosh about, as the tilt will naturally keep the centri-whatever[1] force pointing towards the bottom of the load bed.  Just like a bicycle does, and a Virgin train doesn't.

That's the advantage of a tilting trike - less inclined to tip over!

I haven't ridden a trike since I was about 5, which I guess is fairly typical, and can't really grok how any of it handles now. If it were a regular, upright, delta trike, then I'd know I was relearning something, if it were a tadpole I'd be wondering if it would handle in the same way as a delta, but if it were leaning then the bike-like-ness might be helpful or might totally double-cross-disconnect-confuse me.

A trike (delta or tadpole) handles the way you think it will handle - turn the bars, it goes in that direction.  The problem with people who've only ridden bicycles since they were a child is that they're used to the more complex process of countersteering and leaning, and it takes a while to override than instinct and make an upright trike go in the right direction.  I've yet to re-acquire the skill, in spite of being fluent in both upright and recumbent bicycles, and recumbent trikes.

A tilting trike steers and balances like a bicycle.  D-Tek had a drop-in replacement for a bicycle front wheel (turning it into a tilting tadpole trike) on the stall at Mildenhall this summer.  I had a go, and it was completely intuitive to ride as a bicycle (the steering was 'heavy', a bit like you'd expect from a combination of big soft tyre and front panniers, only without the rolling resistance), and the stability under heavy braking (on damp grass!) was astounding.

[1] Not starting that debate.  ;D

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1769 on: 30 November, 2013, 05:54:07 pm »
A trike (delta or tadpole) handles the way you think it will handle - turn the bars, it
...tips over?  ;)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1770 on: 30 November, 2013, 06:25:13 pm »
A trike (delta or tadpole) handles the way you think it will handle - turn the bars, it
...tips over?  ;)

Homes in on the nearest Worst Thing To Ride Into, in my experience.  Curb, nettles, parked bikes, guy ropes, whatever.  It's uncanny.

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #1771 on: 30 November, 2013, 08:50:02 pm »
...tips over?  ;)

Homes in on the nearest Worst Thing To Ride Into, in my experience.  Curb, nettles, parked bikes, guy ropes, whatever.  It's uncanny.

Always fun to watch an experienced cyclist have their first go on a racing barrow!  :D
Jennifer - Walker of hills

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1772 on: 30 November, 2013, 08:55:12 pm »
...tips over?  ;)

Always fun to watch an experienced cyclist have their first go on a racing barrow!  :D

I tried one at Mildenhall a couple of years ago.  It had a fixed wheel drive, and I discovered that the steering was completely intuitive, as long as I rode it backwards.  Try to go forwards and I was all over the place!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1773 on: 05 December, 2013, 08:52:36 am »
I don't usually follow this thread and really can't look back through all of it to see, so sorry if this has come up before.

http://www.sculltrek.sk/index.php?lang=en&sekcia=video
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1774 on: 05 December, 2013, 09:02:38 am »
An unusual hybrid crossing Southwark Bridge Road this morning.  It looked like a normal hydroformed aluminium hybrid, but had a cable downtube.  I've seen that on old racing bikes (can't recall the names now), but not on modern bikes.
Getting there...