Author Topic: Problem riding my bike.  (Read 4167 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Problem riding my bike.
« Reply #25 on: 20 January, 2021, 12:37:53 am »
I'm wondering whether the soft soled shoes help?  More tactile feedback, sort of thing?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #26 on: 20 January, 2021, 01:08:41 am »
I never went clipless and did my Audax riding in soft Ecco walking shoes & platform pedals.
I don't know how/if I would have coped with being clipped into my bike, which, by its nature prevents many compensatory movements.
I think barakta has a point...

« Reply #27 on: 20 January, 2021, 08:02:35 am »
I'm unconvinced that compensatory movements on pedals are a good idea or even help much. The main risk with toeclips or SPD-like pedals is having the angle wrong and stressing knees.

One easy way round that is to wear shoes loosely. SPD shoes are pretty rigid affairs, if you lace them up loosely your foot can swell, move about a bit; but no way are you going to pull your foot out of the shoe.

WCTD, as a member of the wobbly brigade, you have my sympathy. My vertigo (which was migraine related) was appalling when moving for some years. I couldn't walk without a stick. I hope the medics can find a solution for you.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #28 on: 20 January, 2021, 08:08:45 am »
If you go with flat pedals full time, there are some types of pedals designed to mitigate the effects of soft-soled shoes, such as
https://www.velovitality.co.uk/products/mks-lamba-commuter-flat-pedals?variant=388747958
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

bairn again

« Reply #29 on: 20 January, 2021, 11:06:07 am »
and you would never get me in West after the way they treated their staff during the lockdown  :hand:

OT

100% mate.  The reputational damage alone from the BLM employee dismissal case is mind boggling.  Having a 5,000 person gathering right on their doorstep was an opportunity to sell more beer but will end up in an Employment Tribunal.  I stopped ordering online from them middle of last year, and I'll not really miss a beer hall 45 miles away.  The last time I was in there was a lunchtime Dec 2019 and I made a point of asking a couple of staff what it was like to work there and all seemed OK, but who knows what goes on behind closed doors.   They also appear to be perpetually on the brink financially, the instability of which is bad for customers, owners but most of all employees.       

« Reply #30 on: 20 January, 2021, 01:44:56 pm »
Thanks for all the input folks  :thumbsup:

I’m going to try out flat pedals but will need to get some suitable shoes to use with them. I was thinking of a shoe with the cleat area covered in case I ever felt confident enough to go back to being clipped in. I’m unsure how suitable or comfortable they would be on longer rides though.
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

bairn again

« Reply #31 on: 20 January, 2021, 01:54:58 pm »

I’m going to try out flat pedals but will need to get some suitable shoes to use with them. I was thinking of a shoe with the cleat area covered in case I ever felt confident enough to go back to being clipped in. I’m unsure how suitable or comfortable they would be on longer rides though.

or pedals that are flat one side an cleated the other.? 

Mrs Again had a pair like this, they take mtb style cleats and she could swap effortlessly between the two as conditions demanded. 

« Reply #32 on: 20 January, 2021, 07:57:10 pm »

Mrs Again had a pair like this, they take mtb style cleats and she could swap effortlessly between the two as conditions demanded.

Yes I'm going to try and source some of the Shimano A530 pedals I think, Dual sided as described but I'm having trouble finding them in stock anywhere just now.

bairn again

« Reply #33 on: 20 January, 2021, 10:38:33 pm »

Yes I'm going to try and source some of the Shimano A530 pedals I think, Dual sided as described but I'm having trouble finding them in stock anywhere just now.

The pair Im referring to ^ arent being used just now so if you run out of options let me know and I'll pop them in the post and you can use them til you get your own.  They are old and a bit scuffed but in working order.   

« Reply #34 on: 21 January, 2021, 04:58:19 pm »
Thanks Bairn, I’m hopefully in the process of buying from another forum member.