Author Topic: Electronic thermometers  (Read 3385 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Electronic thermometers
« on: 17 January, 2021, 11:12:51 pm »
Any recommendations, or the opposite?

We have a lovely glass thermometer, that needs careful looking after. (And a lot of explanation before use...)

I know this can now be done with some Chinese equipment, so any recommendations, or ones to avoid?
It is simpler than it looks.

Re: Electronic thermometers
« Reply #1 on: 18 January, 2021, 07:32:20 am »
Avoid the French ones with the ribbed ends.

« Reply #2 on: 18 January, 2021, 09:13:58 am »
I would just suggest not stressing and buy what you can find.Most of the ones available from the chemists are infra red sensing I think.  Certainly not for intra oral use.  They either use tympanic membrane or forehead.

« Reply #3 on: 18 January, 2021, 09:24:10 am »
We have had a couple of different electronic ones from the local chemists and they have been unreliable and of very poor quality.  One doesn't even have a replaceable battery and they both lasted about a week before no longer working. 

The items I am talking about here are the elongated teardrop shaped things with a metal tip for under the tongue etc. and a simple lcd display.

Waste of money and just more landfill ime.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #4 on: 18 January, 2021, 09:30:37 am »
We've stuck to oral thermometers - albeit going from liquid to digital. 

I wouldn't bother with non-contact infrared forehead thermometers - the trials show you need to get spendy and use them properly to get accuracy.  Tympanic thermometers were found to be more accurate than forehead thermometers (if used properly) - and they're cheaper.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 18 January, 2021, 01:12:49 pm »
Barakta struggles with alcohol thermometers (she finds them hard to read, and can't do the wrist-flick manoeuvre to reset them), so we had an electronic one that had a LCD and speech output.  It was slow and used annoying batteries, and after a few years died of snappy plastic death.  I quite liked that it could tell you when the reading had stabilised, so you didn't have to take it out and look.

ETA: I should add that since its demise we've fallen back on a traditional alcohol one.  There was a pandemic, so a thermometer that barakta could operate without assistance seemed like a low priority given that they were in high demand.

Regulator

« Reply #6 on: 18 January, 2021, 01:26:08 pm »
Barakta struggles with alcohol thermometers (she finds them hard to read, and can't do the wrist-flick manoeuvre to reset them), so we had an electronic one that had a LCD and speech output.  It was slow and used annoying batteries, and after a few years died of snappy plastic death.  I quite liked that it could tell you when the reading had stabilised, so you didn't have to take it out and look.

We've got similar - it bleeps when the reading is ready.  They seem to have got better and cheaper in recent years.  I got a care pack from work which included a digital thermometer (plus gloves, wipes, handrub, masks...  and - most essentially - chocolate!)

Green Party Councillor

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #7 on: 18 January, 2021, 01:39:05 pm »
We have a Braun in-the-ear thermometer - it's the same model that they used on me (about 6 times a day!) when I was in hospital and was recommended by them . . . has disposable single-use covers.   No idea on costs.

« Reply #8 on: 18 January, 2021, 01:43:10 pm »
We have a Braun in-the-ear thermometer - it's the same model that they used on me (about 6 times a day!) when I was in hospital and was recommended by them . . . has disposable single-use covers.   No idea on costs.
We have one of them as well. We bought it when our daughter was a baby - she's now 11 and the thermometer is still going strong.  It takes 2 AA batteries, so that isn't going to be a problem. It's quite easy to use as well - you put it in the ear and press a button, and it beeps at you when it's done. A quick google suggests they start around 35 quid and go upwards if you want more bells and whistles.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9 on: 18 January, 2021, 02:02:26 pm »
We have one that you stick somewhere and another that reads forehead temperature. I don't believe the latter and don't know where the other one has been.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Davef

« Reply #10 on: 18 January, 2021, 05:58:31 pm »
We have a infra red forehead one that comes up with very similar reading to the one they used at the gym. It was c £25 from Costco. I suppose I should try calibrating it to be certain.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #11 on: 18 January, 2021, 08:02:59 pm »
Well, thanks all. Just walked to Stroud and picked up an ear one. Click and Collect.

Now I shall stick it in my ear!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12 on: 18 January, 2021, 08:12:42 pm »
You've had a decent walk at least.  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #13 on: 18 January, 2021, 08:19:32 pm »
About 7.5 miles  ;D

« Reply #14 on: 18 January, 2021, 08:20:44 pm »
Should have pinged me. I'm not in the bath, but i do have a fridge full of beer

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #15 on: 18 January, 2021, 11:45:16 pm »
 :thumbsup:

We are all encouragingly normal, temperature wise.

« Reply #16 on: 19 January, 2021, 12:12:57 am »
We have had a couple of different electronic ones from the local chemists and they have been unreliable and of very poor quality.  One doesn't even have a replaceable battery and they both lasted about a week before no longer working. 

The items I am talking about here are the elongated teardrop shaped things with a metal tip for under the tongue etc. and a simple lcd display.

Waste of money and just more landfill ime.

We've got one that sounds like these only more reliable - Middle-of-Lidl1 god knows how many years ago. Can't have been expensive (or I wouldn't have bought it). Chirps when the reading has stabilised, which sometimes feels disconcertingly long, and the display's quite small,  but appears to work fine.

1: Or possibly Aldi

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #17 on: 19 January, 2021, 09:14:55 am »
My Thermapen is one of my favourite kitchen gadgets. Absolutely indispensable. You probably could use it to measure body temperature as well but the probe has a very sharp point, so I really wouldn’t recommend it for that purpose.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #18 on: 19 January, 2021, 03:47:06 pm »
I read this and thought "sugar thermometer or meat?"

We only have temperature gauges on Garmins or in the kitchen. I assume I'd make him stick an Edge 520 in his armpit, in extremis. No way I'd use my chocolate thermometer for that.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #19 on: 19 January, 2021, 03:55:39 pm »
Yes, the chocolate thermometer only goes in one place.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #20 on: 19 January, 2021, 04:22:41 pm »
this thread reminds me - now that mercury thermometers are banned I should really go and look for a red alcohol one.  I don't trust the battery on an electronic one not to have expired by the time I next need a thermometer in 2027 or so (last used in about 2009, most likely)
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #21 on: 19 January, 2021, 05:29:04 pm »
Didn't know mercury thermometers were banned. When did that happen? The only thermometers we have are one on a bike computer (old skool with wires and magnets, not GPS) and the one in the oven.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #22 on: 19 January, 2021, 06:01:14 pm »
Yes, the chocolate thermometer only goes in one place.

Straight in the starfish

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #23 on: 19 January, 2021, 06:16:03 pm »
I love a cat's facial expression when the vet does that.  They don't even warm it first.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Regulator

« Reply #24 on: 19 January, 2021, 10:23:11 pm »
Didn't know mercury thermometers were banned. When did that happen? The only thermometers we have are one on a bike computer (old skool with wires and magnets, not GPS) and the one in the oven.

Banned in 2007 but there was an exemption for medical use for a few years after that* (primarily related to sphygmomanometers).  You can still have mercury thermometers if they’re antiques. 

*I can remember helping draft clinical guidance around use/disposal.

Green Party Councillor